Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you know???

So, reciently I've been having some doubts that maybe the Lab-Band isn't the best choice for me. I know I need some help, and that the conventional methods work for me, but not in the long term. So I know WLS is a good option for me at this point in my life. HOWEVER like i said, reciently i'm just not sure about the Lap-Band. There seems to be a lot of problems, slipping, erosion, fills not working, etc. plus on top of that, there isn't any long-term studies to support what happens after 10, 15, 20, etc. years, and that's a bit scary.

I'm just wondering if you all have gone through this when you got closer to your possible surgery date, and how you knew it was the right decision.

Thanks for any advise...

I was way less afraid of those things, which, afterall are easily rectified by removing the band, than I was of major major surgery and having my insides re-routed. Being a relatively modest BMI of 35 meant that that option would probably not be available to me anyway, if they did gastric bypass in Australia anymore.

I also dont care to lose a ton of weight in a very short amount of time, look like a corpse and have a problem with loose skin.

I love love love my band. I am living a completely normal life, just one in which I eat a bit less. I eat way less junk, but I eat out, I eat with family, I sometimes eat yummy things for a treat, I can exercise (I've started running again, a MAJOR NSV for me), its simply the best thing I ever did.

If I should lose it one day due to a complication, well I guess I'll face that when I come to it. I think I would see how I went without it for a while - I only have 1.3 ml in my band and no real restriction, much of what I've achieved has come from conscious behaviour modifcation. I'd have to say the band's major influence on my has been psychological - I dont expect to fail, therefore I dont.

I was desperate enough to do something, anything, rather than just stay where I was. I started researching the ByPass. Once I discovered the Lap Band, it was obvious to me that the band is the best option.

My problem is not that someohow my body "over processes" or "over absorbs" the food that I eat... It is that my food intake is just too darned high.

So, with another option, why on earth would I chop up my perfectly functioning intestinal tract; increase my risk of death by 100 times, and suffer the potential effects of malabsorbtion and malnutrition?

Seemed like plain common sense to me. Even though there may be complications, they are all fixable. Worst case, the band is removed and I am no worse off than I was before, barring a few scars. The potential weight loss is worth that risk, to me.

Good luck in your decision. Be sure before you let anybody cut on you for any reason.

Hugs!

As I got closer to my surgical date, I kept asking myself if I was doing the right thing and if I was sure I could follow through with the dietary/lifestyle changes required post-banding. I mean, if I couldn't do it before what made me think I could do it now?

Anyway, I chalked it up to pre-surgical jitters.

I knew, without a doubt that lap band was for me as soon as I read about it. I never considered any of the bypass surgeries. They were too radical. I wanted something that would work with me and wouldn't be so drastic. The complication rate was significantly less and I was pleased with that. I never considered erosion, slips, etc. I knew that as long as I followed the rules the chances of those things happening to me were slim. That's not to say these things don't happen, but that's what I convinced myself and I never looked back.

I was more afraid of dying of being morbidly obese than of having a surgery that is completely reversible.

You have to be willing to do your part though... it isn't a miracle cure!