Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Removed

I got my band in 2003, last month I collasped at work and had to be rushed to hospital, my bad had slipped and was severing my stomach for the past couple of years. Has any one heard of any legal assistance for band issues

I can't comment on the legal stuff but I do have some questions.

Before this when was the last time you saw your Dr? Were you going for checks 1 or 2 per year as you are supposed to do for life? Were you following the rules? Were there any indications that something might have been wrong that you ignored?

I agree with Elcee. Usually, band problems are progressive, they don't just slip without notice. Best wishes for your recovery.

I wish you get well wishes!!

I also agree with elcee, bands usually don't slip that easy and cause that major of an issue. They are meant to be maintained and usually show signs if they are slipping. I had my band put in 2008 and still go every 3 months just to make sure I am on track and everything is working as it should. I was in a major car accident in june flipping my SUV four times and my port was very sore and was having problems eating so I made an appointment the moment I returned from my vacation and my dr chose to remove my Fluid and let things settle for a month then refilled and I am doing well. So making sure you are maintaining the band is key. My doctor said that is one of the major issues he sees with the band is people never return once they have lost the weight or have had it for awhile. I believe regular check ups is a key to my success of losing 230 pounds and keeping it off as well as keeping my band in working order.I hope you feel better soon,

I'm confused about whether you were diagnosed with a band slip or band erosion (the band "severing" your stomach). They're 2 different things and in almost 5 years, I've never heard of them happening at the same time in the same patient.

As for legal assistance, you'll have to find a medical malpractice attorney and convince him/her that your complications are the fault of your surgeon or the maker of your band, as well as prove that those complications cost you big bucks and/or destroyed your ability to work and take care of yourself. A claim like that has to represent a big chunk of change before it'll appeal to an attorney. You could also contact the manufacturer of your band.

Good luck.

My doc has had 5 slips in 6 years of placing bands (I am number 5, yay me!) he did say that one of the four prior to me was a slip and an erosion so I know they can happen together. I know my pre-op paperwork included slippage and erosion as possible complications and therefore I wouldn't stand a chance at getting 'financial assistance' if I'd considered pursuing that avenue (I haven't, I'm a firm believer that sometimes **** just happens although my surgeon has made it blatantly clear that this slip was 100% my fault and not his). Before talking to a lawyer you need to look through everything you signed pre-op, willing to bet you agreed that slippage and erosion were known and acceptable risks....

That said, good luck! This whole thing sucks :/