Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

Thanks Leemoe

1 hr 15 mins - amazing!

In December last year, I had to fly business class because I knew I wouldn't fit in economy/coach. It was so expensive from Sydney to Europe. I am already looking at a holiday in March 2008 (Buenos Aires & on to NYC) and the options seem so much better now that I won't have to fly business class (though it was awesome).

The pre-op diet is so difficult. I shudder to think about all the 'I can't do it, I'm fainting, I need carbs' posts I made on here.

Good luck guys!

Yes airplanes can be the downer of any trip, either for business or fun. I cannot "weight" to feel comfortable in one of those seats!

Yes airplanes can be the downer of any trip, either for business or fun. I cannot "weight" to feel comfortable in one of those seats!

Congrats on your surgery leemoe49, I hope I will be getting mine soon.

I just have to stop letting these road blocks get me down and back into my old habits so much. I feel discourage because I still have 31 lbs to lose before my surgeon will do the surgery (even though I have already lost 25). I also get discouraged because I know that my hospital is so booked up that more than likely I won't be able to get in to have it until November, unless they have a cancellation. I will find out more set in stone info when I return for a follow up with the surgeon on Sept.4th.

Once again congrats...its stories like yours that make me realize it IS possible!

Hang in there simlin_apple. November will be here soon enough, I hate it when people like us get jerked around for surgery dates! I hope everything goes well on your sept appt!

Going in for surgury 823. Been on my pre-op diet for over a week and wondering if I can do this for the long term. I keep telling myself it will be better when I can eat regular food. Im sick of sweet Protein Drinks and thats all I can have right now! Can anyone tell me how long after surgery the average person needs to recover enough to go back to work? Thanks

I too suffer the airplane humilation. I have to fly about 13 times a year for work on average and most of them have connections.

Most dont even offer buisness class and my company would look down on me flying expensive class anyway.

Flying so much i have alot of little tricks that can work for me but sometimes you are just stuck making someone that you sit next too feel uncomfortable.

I even have my own extender so i dont have to ask all the time.

Thank goodness that'll be all over soon. I have a business trip in about a month and I have to fly 'coach/economy'. I'll be under 300 by then so I'm sure I'll fit. Just have to get that aisle seat. Luckily, my colleague is very skinny, so I'll be right. It's just the seatbelt thing is always so nervewracking. I don't want to have to ask for an extender in front of my colleague. I haven't flown this airline before. I hate having to think about this stuff.

THE best airline to fly for big seats in coach is most definately Mid West Airlines.

It has to be there signiture service though the other ones are standard.

You could always buy you own extender if you really are that worried. Under 300 tough you should be fine. I got down to 369 last year and i wasnt using extenders anymore (one of yo yo diets)

Can anyone tell me how long after surgery the average person needs to recover enough to go back to work? Thanks

i needed about 4 working days, but took a whole week. it was nice not being under any pressure to go back. i have a desk job but very busy up and down a lot.

Under 300 tough you should be fine. I got down to 369 last year and i wasnt using extenders anymore (one of yo yo diets)

i dont know about that. last time i flew (about 290ish) i still needed the extender. i work for an airline and have my own so it's not too bad. hopefully next time i fly i wont need one!!

good luck...

I've never needed a seatbelt extender. Last time I flew was on Southwest going to Las Vegas just 3 weeks prior to surgery - highest weight too, at 382. I'm 5'10 though, so my fat has a bit more room to go than just my belly. The seatbelt was tight, but I was determined to NOT ask for an extension!! Lol.

Next month I'm flying to see my best friend down in Houston TX and I'm excited cause I've lost about 30 pounds already and I know the seatbelts will fit no matter what... I'm not worried at all now!!

ahh, well i am pretty much ALLLLLL belly (well, you know what i mean).. if it wasnt for my tummy, i'd just be 'fat' not obese ... i'd settle for fat right now ...

Dreno - You can do this - it is worth it! The pre-op diet is NOT your forever diet. I had 4 weeks off, but I could have gone back in a week.

I flew to Orlando today on Midwest and was proud to show my co-worker/friend that I could buckle the seat belt! I never asked for extensions before, I just hid the belt and buckle under my belly/shirt when they came by to check. I don't have to worry about that now!

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BlondePatriotInCDA

I'm officially no longer "obese" and now classified as "overweight!" Years ago when I was 108 lbs (my old adult holding weight until the last 10 years) would I have ever thought there would come a day that I'd celebrate being "overweight!" 
      I hit my one year surgery anniversary next Wednesday (August 21st, 2023) and just so happen to have my final bariatric clinic check up on the same day. I'm looking forward to seeing my surgeon and being officially released into the wild! 😋
      I'm curious as to what my labs will say, especially since they told me to not take my vitamins a few days before the labs. To be honest, I find this confusing since the whole point of taking vitamins is to keep your stats within normal ranges - to assure they're working as intended, yet since I quit taking them it will show I need to take them..so I'll hear "make sure to take your vitamins!" A vicious circle. Who knows why?!
      Anyway, I have 40lbs to go to meet my goal and I'm really hoping I can do it in the next 6 months (for a total of 18 months post surgery). At my starting weight the charts show only 20% reach their goal within 18 months with a starting weight of 259 the day of surgery. I'd like to add that to achieved goals. Fingers crossed!
      I'm amazed and thankful for everyone here on these forums who've supported me, answered my questions and understood the plight! Thank you all, you know who you are.
      · 2 replies
      1. NeonRaven8919

Well done!

2. BlondePatriotInCDA

Thank you! I appreciate the feedback and support.

• BlondePatriotInCDA  »  Crayon

Welcome to the bariatric forums!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • juliie

Good morning all, how long did it take insurance to approve you?
      · 5 replies
      1. NickelChip

Once it was submitted, not long at all. Just a few days, I think. But my surgeon's office didn't submit it until all my requirements were met, which included psych eval, dietician meetings, a certain number of visits, bloodwork, etc. As long as you've checked all the right "boxes" they require, the approval process should be very standard and easy. Your surgeon's office should know exactly what you need to get approved.

2. juliie

good morning , I just need one more clearance from the insurance requirements which is my basic nutrition class , and that's on the 26th of this month. I have BCBSMI insurance. my surgeon said it usually takes 4-6 weeks for them to approve but can be sooner

3. BlondePatriotInCDA

Once I completed all the insurance/program requirements - about a week. It seemed fairly quick, but I also contacted my insurance company several times to confirm all the requirements I needed to satisfy there paperwork machine and also nudge (nag squeaky wheel) them 😋 ! Also, my bariatric clinic is/was on top of it.

4. juliie

@BlondePatriotInCDA thanks, I have BCBSM hopefully it doesn't take them long to approve me, i just need one more clearance from their requirements. wow a week ? that was fast ,have you had yours yet?

5. BlondePatriotInCDA

Yes, my one year anniversary is this Wednesday. It will go quickly, it may not seem like it now..but trust me it will. I have BCBS as well. Good luck, you can do this!

• rsmith2593

I has my Ru &Y July 7, 2013.  I was 389 lbs on surgery day.  I am now 198.  I feel so much better ! I can keep up with my grand kids ages 3,3,4,8 and 13
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Alisa_S

Long whine alert - I'm really disappointed! I saw my primary Dr last month and told her I wanted WLS and she was all for it. Said that I had to do the 6 month supervised diet for my insurance and a boatload of other tests. Ok. I understand. She started my 6 month diet last month and sent a referral to the bariatric surgeon. MY plan was to do the supervised diet, then at the end of the 6 months in January, do all the other tests...sleep study, endoscopy, ekg, psych, nutritionist, etc. because all of that would get my insurance deductible met, then have surgery in February or March. Since my deductible would be met, I'd only be paying my 20% coinsurance by then. Got the call from the bariatric surgeon's office on Friday and was told that THEY are the ones that will do my 6 month supervised diet. I explained that my primary Dr already had me on it for a month but they said everything will go thru them. Ok. I understand. So I explain about wanting to complete the diet first, then do all the other testing (because I don't want to have to pay my deductible twice by paying for all that stuff now, & then it starts over in January) but she tells me that they do the testing while I'm doing the diet. That means that I cannot even start their bariatric program until January! They made my first appt for Jan 9th & that's when the 6 month diet will start with them & they'll submit to insurance for approval in June & I would have surgery in July. Man!!! That's almost a year from now! All because I don't want to pay $4500 now, than have to pay it again in January. I don't understand why they won't let me diet now & do the other tests at the end.
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

Before you assume that the testing will take your full deductible, I would make some calls to your insurance. I have a 3k deductible and my portion of the bloodwork was nowhere close to that even though I assumed it would be. I think my copays ended up being around $1k or less for all the preliminary tests. And remember, you will have extensive bloodwork multiple times after surgery, so there may be no way to get it all into one calendar year. Also, you might look into financing options through your hospital. Mine allowed me to put the $3k I owed after the surgery (because yeah, that did max out my deductible for this year) on a 24-month no-interest payment plan. Depending on your options, it may be affordable enough that you can book your appointment sooner and get this whole thing going instead of having to wait almost a full year to have your surgery.

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches