Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

Hi lizrbit,

I don't know quite what to say, but how can you view any weight loss as failure? If you were gaining because you were eating junk and not following up on you fills, maybe be. You have lost 25 lbs...congratulations.

I am finding that this experiment of the lap band is just another in a long line of personal experiments. If you feel your experiment could return better results, then change something. Are you eating enough...this seems a weird one to review, but it is how the body works. Are you progressing on exercise...for it to work optimally, you should be increasing in some way (longer, farther, faster, etc. over time). I had this realization recently, to keep my physicality progressing, I have to do more in less time...yikes, in a good way. You have already made a change in that you got a fill (which was too tight) and corrected with an adjustment in your band.

Lizrbit, you can do this. Stay the course and change something, you will get there.

Cheers,

MMT

I won a fittness comp! 2 weeks a go the YMCA had us counting our steps for the week. They gave you a conversion for exercises. I did 7 days that week with at least 1 hr 15min a day. Well they added the steps up and i was in the TOP 5! woo hoo! i mean ME! I won a t shirt for being in the top 5 out of about 100 people there.

Hi whosyadaddy,

CONGRATULATIONS, what an amazing accomplishement and to be rewarded for it too. You are incredible and keep up the great work!

Happy banding,

MMT

Hi Cherlita

Congratulations on the surgery date. You are embarking on a great an wonderful journey. Why is because many overweight people are depressed and miserable, but so are lean people, just easier to lable us.

Don't sweat the psyche consult. Easy peasy, you will walk out and say...that wasn't bad (I liked it so much I had two:o.

You hit on one of the biggest advantages I belive the band will have for me...permanant weight loss. When it gets off, I believe the band will help me keep it off and the yo yo ing will be over:clap2:

You already have a positive attitude and that will help very much. Get a good support system and you have one of the other best advantages.

My preop was basically a two Protein Shakes (breakfast and lunch) and a serving (6oz) of lean meat and a veggie, with that all important 64 oz of Water daily.

Welcome to the kingdom, glad you are here!

Good luck!

MMT

My surgeon does not require patients to lose weight before surgery. I do want to try to make my liver smaller, so I'm wondering what kind of pre-op diet were you place on to reduce your liver? :biggrin1:

:welcomeB:

Cherlita,

Congratulations on your surgery date! You'll sail through the process! Don't stress over it. You've got a great attitude towards it and you'll do fine.

I had a starting BMI of 63.5, now down to about 55. My doctor required a pre-op diet, but I was on my own as far as what that would be. So I did a very low calorie diet having a Protein Drink in the morning, and lots of veggies with very little meat the rest of the day. I bought a big bag of E.A.S. chocolate Protein at costco and had that every morning. I also got a can of unflavored whey protein that I could add to other things to get more protein in. Often I'd have a salad with maybe an ounce or two of tuna or shrimp in it. Small piece of meat with vegetables at dinner time. I lost about 20-25 lb. prior to surgery and got my BMI under 60.

I can't do much in the way of exercise because my knees are bad. But that's an important component, too. We go south for the winter, so I'm looking forward to getting to CA where we stay in an RV park with nice warm pools and I do Water aerobics all winter.

You'll find lots of help here. Keep us posted on your progress.

MMT and Phyl,

Thank you so much for the welcome and encouragement.

I am looking forward to the changes being permanent. I will never again weigh 379 lbs. That is so cool. Since I've had previous successes with low carb and WW, I know that I can change my eating habits to lose weight. This time, it will stay off. How cool is that?

I also have bad knees and so walking for exercise is out of the question. I have a exercycle that I use and also a health rider that works okay(when I get on it) :eek:.

I'm very happy I found this website.

Have a Great Week and I'll post after my diet and psych consults.

Cherlita

I just have to report that I started low carb after my initial surgery appt. I hadn't planned on weighing until the next surgery pre-op appt, but the Dietician had a scale, so I leaped on, hoping for at least 1 pound.

In 7 days, I lost 13 pounds. :whoo:

So cool, that is 13 lbs that I will never have to lose again.

I wanted the intense dieting to start before surgery, because I don't deal well with quitting cold.

Have a Great Week!

Cherlita

379/366/147

10.5.07: 379 (1st Surgical appt)

10.15.07: 366 (Dietician appt)

11.27.07: op date

weight.png

I just have to report that I started low carb after my initial surgery appt. I hadn't planned on weighing until the next surgery pre-op appt, but the Dietician had a scale, so I leaped on, hoping for at least 1 pound.

I wanted the intense dieting to start before surgery, because I don't deal well with quitting cold.

Have a Great Week!

Cherlita

379/366/147

10.5.07: 379 (1st Surgical appt)

10.15.07: 366 (Dietician appt)

11.27.07: op date

weight.png

You're off to a FANTASTIC start!!

fabulous! isnt low carbing wonderful!!???

Have a Great Week!

Cherlita

That is so fantastic!! Good for you, keep it up! :clap2:

I am doing the same thing, at least I will be prepared before and the transition won't be so difficult. :biggrin1:

My progress has pleased me thus far and I keep discovering things that just blow my mind at times. One of my latest...

Usually I go to bed between 2 & 3 am and up at 9. Since last Thursday, I have been going to bed by 12 and getting up between 7 & 8. Since that time I have consistantly lost a minium of 1 lb each day (my losses have never been this consistant)...is there really a correlation between good sleep and weight loss? Well, my results say yes. I just wanted to share my latest observation. Just as I think I have learned so much...there is always someting new and exciting around the corner.

Happy banding,

MMT

About six weeks ago I decided to perform an experiment. I decided to really give exercise a chance. I began on my own and in week two added help from a professional personal trainer. After my first session, he took measurements, I tell him my weight every session (and never cheat even when it goes up). He stated we would take measurements again when I broke 350. Finally five weeks after that, I broke 350 and made the goal. We both were excited to see the results and here they are:

9/10/07 10/15/07 Difference

weight: 364 lbs 346 lbs -18 lbs

Chest: 63.75" 62.5" -1.25"

Waist: 63.25" 62.25" -1.0"

Hips: 63.25" 62" -1.25"

Arm: 19.25" 18.75" -0.5"

Thigh: 29" 27.75" -1.25"

Now for the amazing stats:

9/10/07 10/15/07 Difference

Total body fat: 191.4 lbs 147.3 - 44.1 lbs :faint:

Body fat %: 52.6 42.6 -10%

Lean body weight: 172.6 198.7 +25.1

It took me a minute to really look at my total body fat. The scale showed a loss of 18 lbs for the time frame, but what the scale did not show was that my body fat went down by 44 lbs (not just the 18). WHOA!!:bounce:

So I am thinking that my temporary six-week experiment in exercise has proven that exercise is a worth while thing in my effort to be a more fit me. Also that the scale does not show all that is going on inside my body so I need other ways to measure how I am doing on this journey. So I am extending the experiment. I think it deserves a one-year study.:thumb:

And the really amazing part is that I like this kind of exercise. I look forward to Monday and Wednesday. I have always despised exercise and now I look forward to it. My trainer tells me what to do and I do it. No thinking required on my part and look at the results thus far. :whoo:

The next goal he has set is at 300:eek:

Just wanted to share a part of my banding journey.

Cheers,

MMT

You're doing outrageously well. I can't wait until you hit 300 either. I also liked your little experiments and what you said about finding other ways to measure success.

I've read several articles about how sleep deprivation can lead to weight gain. Isn't that strange? I think that it's hormonal. I still am too stupid to go to bed at a decent hour! It must be stupidity because I'm plenty tired................