Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

:P:)

Thanks MMT,

I really needed to hear your story it did make me feel better. It reminded me a little bit about my journey about not being ready when you think you are. I hope I don't offend you or anyone else when I say this but ... I am a Christian and I truely do believe that God lets everything happen for a specific reason. And now that I think of it there has to be a great reason why I am having to wait. Thanks for bringing me back to reality!!! This is why I love this site so much, because of people like you!

:car:

Take care,

April

Mandi you can do it. Dr. B did my surgery and I actually had to be on the pre-op for 5 weeks due to my BMI....I weighed 459lbs pre-op. I will be honest and tell that I did not follow the instructions completely, but just keep in mind that fudging is a slippery slope. If you feel that you just have to have something break off the "bite" that you are going to allow yourself and then throw the rest away before you eat the bite. You will find that after you eat whatever it is you will sometimes feel gulity or discover that it was just "head" hunger and the one bite was enough to pull you through the storm. Now if you are diabetic you need to immediately talk with the doctors office because being light headed is a sign that your glucose levels are not good. Trust me it will be worth the effort. I was banded on 3/29/07 and I have lost about 80lbs as of today---keep it up you can do it!

Now for all those poor people in pre op diet hell i have an encouraging story for you.

Had my first fill and now i have restriction that yesterday i east a THIRD of a Lean Cuisine meal and i was stuffed like i had just had thanksgiving dinner!!!

It really is sooooooo worth it! This is the weirdiset thing...I go to bed feeling full last night and i have eaten maybe 700 calories that day.

I am so used to feeling so very hungry when im losing weight that i actually had this guilty feeling i had overeaten all day as i was not starving when i went to bed. It took my a little while to work out why i felt so guilty. The body changes and it takes my brain a while to catch up.

If your are Pre op or havnt got your fill right yet, have hope! when its it the right adjustment it ROCKS!

apralfool-I am diabetic but have been watching my blood sugar pretty close and it has been good. I have been supplementing with broth and sugar free Jello (the stuff those on the liquid diet eat). Do you think that's okay? They barely have any calories but help fill me up if it's not meal time. Did you drink the 2 shakes a day on your pre-op diet? I've only been able to do 1 because 2 gives me too much Protein and gives me the stomach problems. Well, great job. Thanks for your reply.

Hey....I started my journey with a BMI of 51 point something. I had to get it below 50 before my insurance company would approve me. I lost 15 pounds, and it was 49 point something. I'm continuing to work on it, and now have it down to about 46!

I never saw this thread, and wish I would have seen it awhile ago when I needed some support in losing the initial weight!

My pre-op diet was all SF liquids, Protein Shakes, and broth! I, for once, can honestly say that I didn't cheat!!!!! I stuck to it...and am still sticking to it! I've had some amazing SF popsicles that get me through the sweet tooth part...not to mention the Calcium chocolate chews I'm taking! Woot!!

I also thougth I would be having the surgery soon, but now it looks as though I will be waiting until April. My drs office did not get the paper work in on time, even though I bugged them to death, and now with my work being so busy the last three months our of the year, I just cannot take the time off.

My question to anyone who can answer is, will I have lots of upset stomach after the lap bad, how long do people take off from work? Will I be running to the bathroom all the time when I am on a liquid diet? I just need to know so I will know what to expect. I will be banded some day.

For those of you who have been banded, are you aware of your band? I mean if you are just sitting watching tv or whatever, can you feel it? After you heal and everything I mean.

For those of you who have been banded, are you aware of your band? I mean if you are just sitting watching tv or whatever, can you feel it? After you heal and everything I mean.

In my case, No, not al all.

I could feel it for the first few weeks but now, not at all except maybe when it's protesting because I ate too much. I can feel the port sometimes when I lift or bend.

I just got back from my (plane) trip and MY SEAT BELT DID UP. I rushed on to the plane and looked down at it thinking, "Ok seat-belt, you don't like me and I don't like you but let's just do this thing." I adjusted it as long as it could get, sat my wide load down and 'click'. It clicked in. There was no room to spare length-wise but it wasn't pinching either and I left it on the entire trip. I didn't even need to lift the armrest, which was another relief. I spent the rest of the flight grinning but didn't want to blow my euphoria by trying the tray table, so lived in blissful ignorance.

Huge NSV for me. I was so worried about this. I stand by my choice of aisle.

I could feel it for the first few weeks but now, not at all except maybe when it's protesting because I ate too much. I can feel the port sometimes when I lift or bend.

I just got back from my (plane) trip and MY SEAT BELT DID UP. I rushed on to the plane and looked down at it thinking, "Ok seat-belt, you don't like me and I don't like you but let's just do this thing." I adjusted it as long as it could get, sat my wide load down and 'click'. It clicked in. There was no room to spare length-wise but it wasn't pinching either and I left it on the entire trip. I didn't even need to lift the armrest, which was another relief. I spent the rest of the flight grinning but didn't want to blow my euphoria by trying the tray table, so lived in blissful ignorance.

Huge NSV for me. I was so worried about this. I stand by my choice of aisle.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Im so happy for you!!!!!!!!!!! I have about 11 flights planned this year between Oct and April and i am pushing for no extension! I even have my own but i dont want to have to sneak it on!!

That must of felt SOOOOOOOOO good to hear it click in. I always stick with isle. Although my all time fav is the little Mid West connects that have 2 and 1 seating. I ALWAYS make sure i get the side with just one seat. I am really going to love it when i dont have to do all the airplane worrying.

I also thougth I would be having the surgery soon, but now it looks as though I will be waiting until April. My drs office did not get the paper work in on time, even though I bugged them to death, and now with my work being so busy the last three months our of the year, I just cannot take the time off.

My question to anyone who can answer is, will I have lots of upset stomach after the lap bad, how long do people take off from work? Will I be running to the bathroom all the time when I am on a liquid diet? I just need to know so I will know what to expect. I will be banded some day.

Sassy i took 2 weeks off from my desk job. But to be honest a week and i would of been fine at my desk. I had the option of working at home the third week but i went in Monday and worked tue-thur at home and back in friday. More than anything it was feeling just extra tired when i went back to work. No potti problems.

Mandi. I can totally not feel mine. After three weeks post op i forgot it was there plenty.

For about 3 weeks i had trouble sleeping on my left side but by 5 weeks, any side and it doesnt matter.

I dont feel hungry all the time though!!!!!!

Hi all... 1week to go and I'm off to Hawaii. I did buy a seat belt extender on ebay for $20, I figured it would be worth the peace of mind. Insubordination, congrats on being able to click that seat belt. Soon you'll even have room to spare.

I've been reading a lot on pre op diets and for those of you who are having trouble with the liquid stage I found that High Protein Boost got me through with no problem. I'm still kind of addicted to it and I am 7 weeks post op. I actually have one for Breakfast while I'm getting ready for work and it gets me through to lunch time for only 240 calories.

I'm supposed to be back on regular food and I am scared to start eating again. I had my first fill last week, 4cc in my VG band and my doctor told me that I should be eating 3 meals per day totaling 1200 calories. I don't really have much of an appetite and small portions do satisfy me but I have not really ever felt "restricted" and am afraid that I'll binge if I eat something too good. The only time I have felt any discomfort was with a bite of a dinner roll that was a bit too dry and not chewed enough, my bad!

My question is, what do you all eat? Do you get 1200 cal/day? I average app 850 cal now and have lost an avg of 3lbs/week. I think I would have to eat higher calorie foods because I don't think that I can up my quantity.

Any advice?:help:

Thanks and good luck to you all.

quote=insubordination;571722]</p> <p>Huge NSV for me. I was so worried about this. I stand by my choice of aisle.

Awesome! I wouldn't have tried the tray table either! I look forward to the day I don't have to ask for the extender. I am tired of being embarassed! By the way, what does NSV stand for?

April:

I have to start my pre-op diet tomorrow. It is low calorie and virtually no carbs. I also have to cut my meal portions in half. I am relieved that it is not a liquid diet! I have done Atkins before so I am familiar with low carb. I was wondering about cheating too but I am going to try my damndest to stay on track. I don't want my doctor to say my liver is too fatty to do the surgery. I am waiting to find out if my insurance will approve in the meantime which doesn't help my stress level. Usually stress makes me eat more not less lol. But I am going to keep coming to these boards and getting the encouragement I need. I count myself very lucky because I don't have to go liquids only! Good luck and know that I am in the same boat with you. Keep posting and we will encourage each other! *Trisha*

Thanks again everyone.... I haven't done too bad but I am not paying too much attention to what I have been eating for the last week or two. I have pretty much been eating what I want when I want. I have a Starbucks almost everyday, but I do make sure it is one of the lower calorie ones... Mine is a Venti sugar free vanilla, 4 shot, Iced, 3 splenda, Latte with half Non-fat Milk and half Soy milk. It tastes awesome and it less than 170 calories considering the same Latte with all Soy Milk is 170 and I am using half Non-Fat Milk. The only REALLY REALLY bad thing I have been eating is a cookie from them over the last week I have had about 4 of them all on different days. I know that will HAVE TO STOP! But I have been so stressed out. I know that's not an excuse but it is hard!! :)

I promised myself to stop having the Cookies and anyu pastries when I am there only my Low Cal Coffe drink from now on. Besides all that I have been planning an unplanned move for a couple of weeks from now and that coupled with working 7 days a week for the last 3 weeks, oh and let's not forget my babygirl started Jr.High last week and that has been stressful in itself. I am just a MESS!!! Ok I was going to just send a THANK YOU note for all the support I am getting on this thread and I just couldn't stop. I guess I needed to vent. Sorry for all the rambling on and on.

April