Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

i recently had to go back to liquids for two weeks because my band was too tight. Today i had permission from dr to start Soups and soft foods and i started the day out okay but as of a few hours ago ive completely blown it.

Im also on and off days. ill work out one day, be all on track with my food, feeling good and getting things done, then the next day i cant get off the couch.

I thought it would pass and it hasnt.

i see people who have had gastric bypass even and ten years later gained the weight back. ive even heard of stories of people whove had GP done and have been BANDED SINCE....

i wonder if ill ever not be fat. i wonder if some people are just supposed to be this way. I know for a fact that my dr will do a small unfil when i get there for th eappointment this month and i gotta tell you, im already gaining weight back. I gained FOUR LBS just today. with an unfill, i cant see how i can keep wieght off.

its been this way since the beginning. i lose initially, then i slowly regain. EVERY MONTH. every single month.

i recently had to go back to liquids for two weeks because my band was too tight. Today i had permission from dr to start Soups and soft foods and i started the day out okay but as of a few hours ago ive completely blown it.

Im also on and off days. ill work out one day, be all on track with my food, feeling good and getting things done, then the next day i cant get off the couch.

I thought it would pass and it hasnt.

i see people who have had gastric bypass even and ten years later gained the weight back. ive even heard of stories of people whove had GP done and have been BANDED SINCE....

i wonder if ill ever not be fat. i wonder if some people are just supposed to be this way. I know for a fact that my dr will do a small unfil when i get there for th eappointment this month and i gotta tell you, im already gaining weight back. I gained FOUR LBS just today. with an unfill, i cant see how i can keep wieght off.

its been this way since the beginning. i lose initially, then i slowly regain. EVERY MONTH. every single month.

Now, mind you no one at work knows I had WLS... but I was looking through the newspaper one day with a co-worker and we spot an ad for the WLS center I went to. She had GB about 5 years ago and has gained back 100 pounds. She says to me " I am thinking about getting lap band." I about fell over! Haha. I mean, I'm all for it, if she wants it! It was so hard for me to not be like "yes yes yes! Do it! go here!" I simply told her "I've considered it and done some research..." I told her what I know aboutthe band and she was amzed that I knew so much. Lol. I'll probably end up telling her about my own surgery... I just didn't tell anyone at work fearing they'd watch everything I did and ate. Lol.

Liz, you were not born to be fat. As your avatar suggests, you were born to have a healthy body that moves and guides you through life. I know you've had a tough time with the band but I don't see any reason why you won't get to your 'sweet spot' soon. You have done incredibly well and you know that there's no way you really gained 4lbs in one day unless you ate 4lbs of lard, in which case BAD GIRL. It's typical after a period of liquids for a gain to happen.

Sometimes a fill which is too tight means you can only eat soft/sloppy/liquid foods and maybe not get the variety you need. Some people could even take in more cals than if they had a lesser fill.

I think everyone goes through stages of feeling down about the experience, particularly after the scales go up. I know I have. Sometimes feelings and emotions just don't take the band and calories into consideration.

I predict you'll be on the up and up shortly. Maybe you should only weigh in when you visit the doctor's for a while. That way, you'll have to base your feelings about the day, and how you're going, on things other than the scale.

Barbee and April - we all had/have a fear of failure and disbelief in the band. After all, we've failed so many times at weight loss before.

I have lost 48 pounds in just a few months and now I'm starting to believe that the band is going to work for me and that I too will be a success story in a year or two. I just have to work with it, make sure it's filled properly and not fight against it as I sometimes have the urge to do.

Wow Insub. 48 lbs since June! Way to go !!! I am trying not to run with my fears it just seems like after 44 years of gain, struggle, lose, gain I am up and down with my feelings about it all. I want so much for this to work and I have a vision of me running someday....dancing too!! (and not worrying if anybody is watching) Thanks for your support.

i was always someone who never lost weight. my weight has only gone up over the course of my life. when i've tried diets i never lost anything. the band is the only thing that has done it for me. but because i've never lost weight before, it's a very surreal feeling now that i am. i have lost 123 pounds in just under 6 months since surgery and in my head i am still 389 pounds. when i buy clothes i go right for the 4x tops and literally have to stop myself and try and talk myself into taking the 1x or 2x instead, even though in my head i don't believe for a minute that it will fit me. and then i'll try it on and be like wow, it fits or is even a little loose. but i cannot get out of my own head and see the differences in myself physically.

i had a NSV yesterday. my friend wanted to take me to the city to walk around and my immediate thought was OMG walking? sure, i do the treadmill an hour a day but the last time I walked on the streets was before any weight loss and it was horrible. i was huffing and puffing and was in such pain that i had to stop every few minutes. it was embarrassing. but we went to the city last night and walked around for a few hours and i had no problem whatsoever. i would have walked around all night. it was awesome. it was such a great feeling to be mobile and comfortable moving around.

the band has been such an awesome life changing experience for me. i know u may be a bit discouraged liz but try not to be. Like insub said, you were not born to be fat, and it will come off. you are on the right path. :confused: stay strong.

virginia

btw, Liz...do u exercise? my metabolism is so bad that if i don't go to the gym everyday to jumpstart it, i don't lose anything at all, even if i really cut way down on what i eat.

Hi, I am brand new to this forum, I am waiting for the call to tell me when I can schedule my banding. I have been reading alot here on this web site. I have to say I am so glad I found all of you. I work alot and my busiest time of the year is the last two months and I will probably be banded just at the beginning of this season.

I will need this support here while I go through the process. I am a large one 360lbs and cant wait to feel smaller. Looking forward to people not treating me like they have to help me all the time.

Happy to be here. Sassy :confused:

Hello triptobme, my hat is off to you, I am not banded yet but shoud be soon and have been visualizing that trip to the curves in my town, but you know what I dont care, Maybe I wont tell anyone about my band and they will just think how awesome I am losing weight and toning up. I weight 360lbs and cant wait for people to see me working out. Good for you. sassy

Hi sassy! welcome!

thanks guys, im feeling alittle better. Seems it was Water. this morning it was back down and down another lb even. YES i agree wholeheartely, the days i start out by going to the gym are much better, but the next day my legs (specificly joints, hips, knees, ankle) are screaming so bad i can hardly move. I walk two miles to the gym, thirty on the tread, thirty on strength training, a dip in the pool and sauna as a treat, then shower and off another two miles to where i work. i dont regret the workouts and wish i could do more. i LOVE pooltime. Im hoping that as i lose they wont hurt so bad. I live in a remote area and my "gym" is actually the fitness area of a hotel and convention center. its very nice, but i think im the only one doing this. No one is ever in the pool and it always feels like im the only one who ever uses the showers. I love it.

so what was weird, is that i was on liquid diet for two weeks where nothing was moving dramaticly, then i blow it one day and eat six Cookies and a glass of milk, oatmeal with real butter!, NOODLES for goshsakes, cry about it, hop on the scale the next morning and im four lbs lighter.

yeah. that makes sense. I know better than to push my luck. Im back to liquids today. I was supposed to be doing mushies into soft solids but i had a pb yesterday and so im back doing the liquids cause im too tight to begin with.

i swear some things about this band are so strange.

WOW! I'm impressed! What dedication! Good for you! I do understand that pbing stuff. I had surgery on my foot, it got infected so I had Fluid removed from my banded. It has been a diaster for me weight wise. I go friday for a fill and I can't wait! I was only 20 pounds or so froim my goal now I am up 14 pounds! Alot has to do with stress and antibiotics and me losing control with pain meds and all. BUt U made some relly unhelthy decisions. It is hard to get back on tract when I feel hungry so much. Friday can't get her soon enough for me! Sassy, I started at 378 lost down to 311 before my band. now I am 220 was 206 before my surgery. Nothing feels so good as going into a regular dtore to buy clothes! Good luck! This is a great site!

The band is fickle. Glad that weight came back off.

Welcome Sassy. 360 is quite standard on this thread. I'm a workaholic also (just worked 12 hours - a lot unpaid). I bet there's a connection between workaholism and obesity.

I bet there is also. Maybe its because we are giving people Who forget qbout ourselves? Just a throught! Insubordination good luck!

I don't know... I'm unemployed and biiiig. I sometimes wonder if being employed, and having money to go to gyms and get the band early (public heath care paid for the band and it was a six year wait), would have helped.

But maybe it also depends on your job!