Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

2bthinagn-congratulations on getting a date- when do you start the pre-op diet?

It's along road ahead... you might wish there was a train. lol

I started at 310 BMI 54.. banded 4/2 just had my 2nd fill yesterday. I weighed in at 264. My goal is 130ish. Thanks to all that post... I feel better knownin I am not alone

I just ended a 7 yr relationship where i packed on 130 lbs..... so much for love:phanvan

2bthinagn-congratulations on getting a date- when do you start the pre-op diet?

It's along road ahead... you might wish there was a train. lol

I think our Doc only has a 2 day pre-op diet1 I have been so flustered the last 2 days I need to read up and be sure. And the Dr office called this morning, the Dr is on vacation 8-1 so I had to change to 8-8. I guess they forgot to put his vacation on their calendar???? Uhhhh...no Dr.. no surgery!!

hi all, i have been on this site before, but it's been awhile, and never to this thread. I was banded Feb 26th (weighed 390), and now, more than 3 months later i have only lost 30 pounds. I know that i have got to buckle down on what i eat, sometimes i do go back to old habits, but i never eat even close to the amount i used to eat. this band is such a weird thing, i feel sooooo restricted in the mornings, cant even swallow milk without having to run to the bathroom because it always comes up. and forget eating a bite of scrambled eggs, even. but at night, its like ...wide open....and i still dont eat loads of food, but it sure makes it easier to make the wrong choices of the foods i eat....figuring this thing out is so hard....with as much weight that i have to lose, it just becomes difficult to ward off mac and cheese forever, you know? anyway, i dont really have any questions, its just nice to find a thread where the people are in the same boat that i am....

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking here for a few months and have learned so much. I've decided the LapBand is the best choice for me. Now that I've made up my mind I'm so excited to get started!

I just finished my psych evaluation and am waiting to hear back from my insurance. They cover the LapBand and with my Diabetes and High Blood pressure the coordinator thinks it will be a slam dunk.

If all goes well I'll be looking at a surgery date the end of July.

The hardest thing for me right now is they want me to lose 25+ pounds before surgery. I've lost 5 in the last few days so am on my way!

I love this thread. It gives me hope. :dance:

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking here for a few months and have learned so much. I've decided the LapBand is the best choice for me. Now that I've made up my mind I'm so excited to get started!

I just finished my psych evaluation and am waiting to hear back from my insurance. They cover the LapBand and with my Diabetes and High Blood pressure the coordinator thinks it will be a slam dunk.

If all goes well I'll be looking at a surgery date the end of July.

The hardest thing for me right now is they want me to lose 25+ pounds before surgery. I've lost 5 in the last few days so am on my way!

I love this thread. It gives me hope. :dance:

Welcome to our group! Good luck with the weight loss. I have been banded since the 24 of May and it is awsome. Only bad thing that i have had happen is i broke my foot last week, so no walking... but I have a lot more energy. Good Luck!

DOB 05/24/07

424/404/374/180

Dr. Aceves

Only bad thing that i have had happen is i broke my foot last week, so no walking... but I have a lot more energy.

I'm so sorry to hear about your foot.:( I hope you heal quickly and are up on your feet soon!

Thank you for the welcome. I have an appointment with my surgeon on the 19th and am hoping to get at least 5 more lbs gone before then. I can't wait to feel some restriction.

hi all, i have been on this site before, but it's been awhile, and never to this thread. I was banded Feb 26th (weighed 390), and now, more than 3 months later i have only lost 30 pounds. I know that i have got to buckle down on what i eat, sometimes i do go back to old habits, but i never eat even close to the amount i used to eat. this band is such a weird thing, i feel sooooo restricted in the mornings, cant even swallow milk without having to run to the bathroom because it always comes up. and forget eating a bite of scrambled eggs, even. but at night, its like ...wide open....and i still dont eat loads of food, but it sure makes it easier to make the wrong choices of the foods i eat....figuring this thing out is so hard....with as much weight that i have to lose, it just becomes difficult to ward off mac and cheese forever, you know? anyway, i dont really have any questions, its just nice to find a thread where the people are in the same boat that i am....

30 lbs is a good loss. That's about 10 lbs a month and that equals more than 2lbs a week. That's what we are supposed to lose. I know some people lose more than that, or faster than that, but you are LOSING. You haven't gained 30lbs!

I have lost about 40 since late January (not banded yet) and I get frustrated because that seems slow to me too. I just have to remind myself that I didn't gain it, I lost it. Last week I was carrying groceries upstairs into the kitchen and I noticed how heavy it seemed. I probably had about 30lbs of stuff in my hands. I thought, "Wow! And just think, 48lbs ago I was carrying another 48lbs on my body, PLUS groceries! How on earth did I do it?"

Keep going, you are doing well! We'll keep encouraging each other.

Well said FaithMD, that was exactly what I had intended to type yesterday, but I got busy!!!!

30 lbs is great - would you have lost 30 lbs by yourself?? I know that I have never been able to have the consistent 2 lbs a week weight loss that I have been having with any other programs (and believe me I tried them all - LOL)

I think 10 lbs a month is great because your body can adjust and maybe we won't have as much saggy skin (she says wishfully).

Later

That's the goal I try to aim for each month is a 10lbs loss, most months I do more than 10 but 10 is my goal.

Hi everyone!

I've been doing really well since banded on March 19th. As of yesterday 6/6, I have lost 75 pounds. I go to the gym 7 days a week, 4 days doing 60 min of cardio, and the other 3 days doing 60 min of cardio and 90 min of weightlifting. I eat between 900 and 1200 calories a day.

I guess my issue is that I don't feel *remarkably different, having lost so much and when I look in the mirror I don't see any difference at all in myself. If it weren't for the scale going down, I wouldn't believe that I had lost anything. I've been doing a little dating, which is probably not a good idea right now with my self esteem issues...and that has gotten me down. And today I caught a glimpse of myself in a store window and am still so disappointingly gigantic.

I know I've worked hard and come a long way, but I have felt very dejected the last few days. I am talking myself out of emotional eating, because I know that will only keep me in the body that I so dislike.

Don't know exactly why I'm writing, just venting I guess. Thanks for listening.

Virginia

PurpleMonkey, I'm guessing it takes time for our mind to catch up with what our bodies are doing when you lose so quickly. I know that I have a mental picture in my mind of how big I am and am always shocked how much bigger I look in a picture. I am sure you are looking fabulous after losing so much weight! You are such an inspiration!

I remember losing 140# about 15 years ago on the famous liquid diet. I was wearing size 10 and 12 and still felt huge. I look back at those pictures now and wish I was there again.

Stay strong! I think you are doing awesome!

Virgina, you are doing great, take pictures and then you will see a difference. That's the only way I can tell. Even tho I'm 235 I still feel like I'm in the upper 380's. It takes time for the mind to register our new bodies, I guess.

PurpleMonkey, I understand completely. I have only lost 25lbs since banding 3/20/07. I think one of my problems is that I cant see myself thin. Its been so long ago that I was a normal size that I just don't believe it will happen. I know that 25 lbs is not that much, but I'm being to see a different in my clothes. But maybe we will get there and see ourselves for who we are and not what size we are. Keep up your amazing work, we will make it this time.

carol