Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

What can you tell me about recovery from surgery? I know about the gas pain, suture pain, etc...Anything else I should know?

Rho,

i didnt have much pain, per se. it was more discomfort and i was EXHAUSTED from being knocked out. i literally could not keep my eyes open until Wednesday afternoon ... i had surgery on Monday.

good luck!

What can you tell me about recovery from surgery? I know about the gas pain, suture pain, etc...Anything else I should know?

My recovery went pretty well. I had surgery on Wednesday, went back to work on Monday, but I over extended myself and may have torn the port a little from the muscle and took the rest of the next week off.

I remember the first day being the worst, but I only took my liquid pain meds 2 times in my process. I went to sleep on the couch and dozed a bit and did sleep on my back with a pillow under my knees to make it more comfortable with the gas pain. They say if you put your legs up it moves the gas up and out. I thought this worked well for me.

I do have a high pain tolerance, so this may not be the type of recovery you will have.

I made sure I had plenty of Soups on hand, not only to blend, but broths and cream of's too. I was able to eat about 1/4 of a can at a time about every 2 hours.

I will be thinking of you. Good luck with your experience. It is definately worth it.

I just had my first fill today, 1cc. It was a breeze so far. I have to be on Clear Liquids today, full liquid tomorrow and the soft,mushies till I start to add things in. I hope this works. The last serveral day I felt like I could have ate a horse. I really want to start losing and feeling better and having lots of energy. Maybe I'm expecting to much. By the way of you who had insurance that pay, what was billed to in insurance company. I was told that the 18,000 that was quoted was the discounted price for people that have no insurance. They billed 56,000 to my insurance company. Has anyone seen anything like this or is this a rip off? I haven't heard from my insurance company yet. Needless to say I was really surpised to that amount. Just wondering.

It's kind of ironic, but also the way the business works. Self-pays get "discounts" because they're paying out of pocket, that really aren't such great discounts in the bigger scheme of things.

With my surgeon the total cost of surgery for self-pays is about $17,000. TO my insurance company, the total billed cost was about $48,000. Sounds like self-pays are getting a heck of a discount, eh? But that's where negotiated rates come in to play. The gross charges were about $48,000, but the network rate was about - oh, maybe $2,000. So while an insurance company may be billed some very large amount, their network discount is going to greatly cut what they actually pay out.

Self-pays paid about $17,000, my insurance company paid about $2,000. For the exact same service.

SO yeah, I'd believe about $56,000 in a heartbeat. Doesn't sound off kilter at all. But what your claim notifications, and you'll see that they won't actually pay out $56,000. Next to "charge" you'll have a column that says "agreed rate", "plan rate", "contract rate" - something like that. That's what the medical provider and insurance provider have agreed, between them, the services are worth.

Hello all!

Well, I got my surgery date today. May 15th! Only 3 weeks away and I'm so much more excited than I expected to be. How much time did each of you take off? And did you think it was enough or too much?

MaryumC

Self-Pay with Dr. Edward Lin, Emory Bariatric Center in Atlanta

Today Dr. Lin said "well, you're almost at the end" and I told him "No, I'm Almost at the Beginning...."

weight.png

Congratulations MaryumC!!!! You are right, it is just the beginning.

I originally only took from my surgery date on a Wednesday to Friday and went back to work on Monday. I pulled something in the port area on my first day back because I over did it. I ended up taking the rest of the week off. I could have gone back sooner, but I had some people that thought if I were back, I could do it all. I just thought it was best that I stayed gone.

The only major problem I remember having was the aching in the stomach area. I talked to my doctor and he told me this, "What did I tell you about getting up and walking. You need to get out and walk. There is a reason we tell you this." He laughed and I laughed. I guess there are times they are right. I did this and I was fine. I think it helped with the anesthesia aches and drowsiness also.

Good luck on your surgery. I wish you the best.

Thanks for the info...Friday is coming at me fast and I'm getting a little nervous. I haven't had surgery since I was in the 5th grade and I just turned 48...Oh my! All advice is still welcome.

hooray for you, wheetsin! i love your posts----so inspirational...keep up the great work!

courtney

So... my cousin is getting married in about a month. I know beyond a doubt that had this news come to me before my band, my first response would have been, "I'm going to look like an idiot because I will never find anything nice in my size." My reaction this time - "Oh, a perfect opportunity to wear that new sundress I just bought!"

Guys, it's SOOOO liberating. In soooo many ways.

I can go into a store (ok, so probably not Black House/White Market or banana Republic) and pretty much know there's something there I can wear.

Why is that such a big deal? Because for nearly 8 years, there was no way I was going to find something that fit unless I was at a "supersize" store like Avenue, Catherine's, LB (and even there for a while there stuff didn't fit me).

I so cannot wait to have that be true for any store.

BTW< I had a nice little ego bump this weekend. Went to Dress Barn, grabbed a 20 and a 22, tried on the 20, and it hung on me. Grabbed a 16 (the smallest size they had on their women's side) and it was loose.

Now, I'm not a 16. I fall consistency between 18 and 20 for tops (except for Target, damn them, with the occasional 14/16 at places like Avenue or LB). And I'm 20 - 22 for bottoms. But don't think for a second I was tempted to buy that dress jusut because it was a 16. ;)

I know the feeling. It will be nice to go shop for something and get what I want instead of just what is big enough. Congrats on your victory!

nervous.gif

Hello to the sweet people on this thread...I just sent for my application packet to apply for lap banding. I am nervous...just want to bawl ...I have hope. Overweight all my life...learned to eat as a comfort response to physical and emotional abuse as a child. Now I am 46 years old...married 25 yrs in June...adore my husband and want to be around a long time. This is the one thing in my life I have failed with...but I have been reading your words...so many I have felt and dealt with (butt tongs??? I get it!!)myself. My insurance company doesn't cover the surgery...and my Dr is starting the petition process. I truly feel that it is right...and am grateful to have found this sisterhood.

(I am reposting this because my email came up as my user name before...but my DH got me fixed up!)

Ruth

Gwip=God's work in progress

nervous.gif

Hello to the sweet people on this thread...I just sent for my application packet to apply for lap banding. I am nervous...just want to bawl ...I have hope. Overweight all my life...learned to eat as a comfort response to physical and emotional abuse as a child. Now I am 46 years old...married 25 yrs in June...adore my husband and want to be around a long time. This is the one thing in my life I have failed with...but I have been reading your words...so many I have felt and dealt with (butt tongs??? I get it!!)myself. My insurance company doesn't cover the surgery...and my Dr is starting the petition process. I truly feel that it is right...and am grateful to have found this sisterhood.<br /> (I am reposting this because my email came up as my user name before...but my DH got me fixed up!)<br /> Ruth<br /> <br /> Gwip=God's work in progress<br />

Welcome to our super sized group! We have a long way to go and a new tool to get there!

Wheetsin--- I'm so glad we have you to look up to... and regular dresses for weddings, to expect in our futures. Thank you for still being "one of us" even at your size now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS.... glad to have edit option back!!!!! Hope all this change to the site begins to work a little more smoothly.

Hi from Dallas!

I have struggled with weight my whole life (first diet was at age 11). In 2002, I went from my highest weight of 347 to about 235 within a year using WW. I plateaued there for about six months before weight started creeping back. I am now around 325.

I have wanted to do the lap-band for some time, but I knew my insurance wouldn't cover it. I finally decided that I HAD to do this even if it means paying for it myself!

I am fairly young (30), and I am terrified of what my future will hold if I don't do this. I am blessed with excellent health. My only health problems associated with weight are sore knees and some back pain, but I know that I can only be this lucky for so long. I already feel my body turning on me.

I have my first consult scheduled with Dr. Barker in Dallas on 5/3/07. If I can get financing in place, I want to get the ball rolling on this asap. I've wasted too much time already! Can anyone tell me how hard it is to get financing for self-pay? I have a fair amount of debt right now, and even though I make okay $, I am a little worried. I just want this SO BAD!!!

Hi from Dallas!

I have struggled with weight my whole life (first diet was at age 11). In 2002, I went from my highest weight of 347 to about 235 within a year using WW. I plateaued there for about six months before weight started creeping back. I am now around 325.

I have wanted to do the lap-band for some time, but I knew my insurance wouldn't cover it. I finally decided that I HAD to do this even if it means paying for it myself!

I am fairly young (30), and I am terrified of what my future will hold if I don't do this. I am blessed with excellent health. My only health problems associated with weight are sore knees and some back pain, but I know that I can only be this lucky for so long. I already feel my body turning on me.

I have my first consult scheduled with Dr. Barker in Dallas on 5/3/07. If I can get financing in place, I want to get the ball rolling on this asap. I've wasted too much time already! Can anyone tell me how hard it is to get financing for self-pay? I have a fair amount of debt right now, and even though I make okay $, I am a little worried. I just want this SO BAD!!!

Congrats on making the decision! I too have been over weight for ever!!! I finally made the decision to do this and may 24 is the day. I used one of the financing companies that the doctors office accepted and in like 2 days everything was done. YOu just have to apply and pick the one that you want. I only had to use my income, but I do have a pretty good credit score but do have some debt.

Good luck!

Thanks, Sonia.

Which financing company did you use? If I just have to use my income, I think I will be okay.

I have my condult on 5/3. I am really excited. I want this more than anything.

Thanks!

Thanks, Sonia.

Which financing company did you use? If I just have to use my income, I think I will be okay.

I have my condult on 5/3. I am really excited. I want this more than anything.

Thanks!

The web address is mymedicalfinancing.com, hope this helps. and for the record i too know what you mean about HAVING to get it done. I am ready, starting my pre -opt on monday, going to try to sneak into docs office to get a starting weight, i am having my surgery in mx. good luck...