Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

Visit the the before and after pate PIX only. Trust me, when I have doubts or faulter.. this page changes my mind.

Maurdan

It has just really been a discouraging three days thus far...the Protein Shakes make me gag and heave...it's everything I can do to keep them down...none have come back up yet, but I have to sit quietly for 30 minutes or so everytime I drink one and wait on the nausea to pass.

I am sure everyone else goes through difficulties with one thing or another, but I just keep asking myself if I really want to do this...it's like I'm saying goodbye to a best friend and know that I'll never have the comfort of their presence again...Silly, but real nonetheless! I actually spent an hour or so crying about it today...how dumb is that????

My hubby starts his 7-day preop tomorrow (I had to do the first three days solo), so I will have a partner with me...Maybe that will make it easier.

I realized today that I accidentally cheated...I took a can of vegetable Soup and blended it with Water and unflavored Protein Powder and I forgot to add the carbs and Protein for the 2 1/2 servings in the can. That means I ended up going over by about 10 grams of protein and 12 grams of carbs. And yes, the soup was equally as hard to get down with the unflavored powder.< /p>

You can also find the test tubes at Vitamin Shoppe. They sell them individually so you are not stuck with a 12pack of the same flavor you may not like. So far I've tried orange, grape and fruit punch. The orange is wayyyyy too sweet for me. I like the grape because it's more dulled down...not as sweet. :)

Faith- you are down what? 23+# that's great! Are you still waiting to hear what your surgery date will be? How are you losing for right now? Hope you hear good news soon.

I was banded 4-2-07 and I am pleased to announce that I have had, NO need for "toilet tongs"!!! I was having some doubts pre-op, but have lost 24# including pre-op diet, and I am able to reach!!! Maybe too much info. for some. But, others can relate!

You can also find the test tubes at Vitamin Shoppe. They sell them individually so you are not stuck with a 12pack of the same flavor you may not like. So far I've tried orange, grape and fruit punch. The orange is wayyyyy too sweet for me. I like the grape because it's more dulled down...not as sweet. :)

Ooh, good to know! I've wanted to try them too, but I didn't want to buy a 12-pack. There's a Viatamin Shoppe nearby my clinic, so I think I'll swing by to get some tubes next time I go! Wish GNC carried them though...

Hi all..saw my Cardio Doctor this morning and he gave me the green light

for surgery on Monday April 30...Three weeks from today... to say that I'm excited would be an understatement.

I went to a Lap Band seminar 2 weeks ago and talked to a bandster who is 9 months and 140 lbs later and that really inspired me.

I'll keep you posted

-------------

If I had known that I'd live this long

I'd have taken better care of myself

Mickey Mantle

Hello all! I wanted to wish all of the folks with upcoming surgeries the best! I will probably not be able to post again until I get back Sunday evening/Monday morning.

I am in the process of packing up stuff for the kids so we can take them to my Mom's tomorrow evening. They'll all four be staying with her while we are gone (she may need more prayer than us...:nervous ). Hubby and I are going to take them out and spend the day together as a family tomorrow then leave them at Mom's house.

We'll be leaving for the airport at about 5am (Eastern Standard Time) Wednesday morning and will arrive in Monterrey at about 2pm (noon their time). We'll be going straight to the doctor's office for pre-op testing then to the hotel. Surgery will be Thursday morning...

I'm nervous AND excited. It seems like I've been waiting SO LONG to do this. Every once in a while, I have doubts that I am doing the right thing, but the doubts always center around stuff like "well, you know you'll never get to eat that again," so, call me a fanatic if you wish, but I believe it is satan trying to defeat me...Food will not rule my life any longer...it's time to have some self-control and do what is right!!!

As far as the pre-op diet goes, I'm finishing up my 7th full day of liquids and as long as I get my Protein Shakes (ready-to-drink EAS AdvantEDGE - 3x a day), I really don't have an appetite. Mealtimes when I have to feed the kids are hard, but I fix their plates and leave the kitchen and find something else to do while they eat.

Well, sorry for the long post...I'll check in as soon as possible!!!

Luck and prayers to both of you on your journey!!! I will be thinking of the two of you, AND "mom" with the kids- you are sooo blessed to have support like that!!!!

Hello all! I have been lurking on this page and reading for probably almost a month now. You all have been such an inspiration! I had just convinced myself that I was too fat to get lap-band when I found this thread and it's been the most helpful thing I've read so far.

I have not been banded yet, I'm still doing my pre-op testing. On 4/16 I have my EGD test and then my Psych eval is 4/17. After that I meet with the surgeon again to schedule a surgery date. My weight is 323.5, down from 333 in August of 2006 when I went to my first seminar.

I haven't been told to start a pre-op diet yet, they're waiting for the surgery date. Right now I'm just watching calories and staying under 1200, then the liquid fest starts.

Any thoughts on how I should be preparing right now? Words of wisdom?

I am pleased to announce that I have had, NO need for "toilet tongs"!!! I was having some doubts pre-op, but have lost 24# including pre-op diet, and I am able to reach!!! Maybe too much info. for some. But, others can relate!

I have to ask, what are Toilet Tongs??

MaryumC

weight.png

As of today, April 10, I am almost three weeks post-op from when I had my banding surgery done. I was weighed last Thursday and am down 32 pounds. Unbelievable, I know, but I had been existing on mostly liquids up to that point.

Now I am on soft food for two weeks, and then I can go back to REAL FOOD! Yippee! And I am craving both a Veggie Delight sub on wheat bread from Subway and a grilled chicken salad like crazy (Not at once, by the way. Either will do). LOL.

I haven't been sick at all (yet), and I get my first "fill" on May 7.

I have been working out some for about 20 minutes a day in addition to doing Walking Away the Pounds, since it has been too cold out to do actual walking. WOW! What a difference in my knees! NO PAIN!:clap2:

I had some jeans hanging in the closet I couldn't get over my thighs before I went into the hospital; now they not only go over my thighs; they also fit perfectly....not to mention I needed some other new things a size smaller. I have a feeling this is the beginning of good things to come.

The bill for surgery, including the hospital and medical costs? A little over $26,000 USD . But so far, worth every nickel. And covered by insurance.

I have to ask, what are Toilet Tongs??

MaryumC

weight.png

Well, as you are one of us, I guess I can fill you in... some of us Bigger ones and some, not so bigger ones, find it .... not so easy to reach, where we need to reach. :nervous Thus, hygene becomes a challenge, after having abdominal surgery - even laproscopically. If you can reach fine now... you might not be able to after... with the pain/sensitivity of incisions and the port. :lol: This discomfort is quite temporary... but, if you are uncomfortable and need to bend, strech, reach, wipe etc. it can be easier with a few inches of reach assistance... toilet tongs- professional/medical hygene self-wipers are available for $20-$50 :omg: or B-B-Q tongs can be disposded of later for $3-$5. Good luck.. and I hope this was not too much information. Like I said, some can relate and some can not!:rolleyes

I hope you can get along with out them, like me. But if you need some help- it is good information.

Hello all! I have been lurking on this page and reading for probably almost a month now. You all have been such an inspiration! I had just convinced myself that I was too fat to get lap-band when I found this thread and it's been the most helpful thing I've read so far.

I have not been banded yet, I'm still doing my pre-op testing. On 4/16 I have my EGD test and then my Psych eval is 4/17. After that I meet with the surgeon again to schedule a surgery date. My weight is 323.5, down from 333 in August of 2006 when I went to my first seminar.

I haven't been told to start a pre-op diet yet, they're waiting for the surgery date. Right now I'm just watching calories and staying under 1200, then the liquid fest starts.

Any thoughts on how I should be preparing right now? Words of wisdom?

:welcome: I'm only a bit older than you (8/7/74, btw), 5'2" and was at my highest weight the day of my surgery. Though I'm only about 8-weeks out, the hardest part so far was the 2 weeks of liquid diet post-op. I didn't start experimenting with different Protein Drinks until a couple weeks after the liquid stage. I wish I'd played around finding ones I liked before my surgery. Though it has given me something to do :(, I'd rather not be gagging on crap now that I'm so aware of every sip! I was so nervous about the potential surgical complications ... it's normal, but having survived I'd love to tell myself to calm down! :lol: And don't be afraid to ask-ask-ask your questions! Good luck!!!!

Zannie- since you are about 8 weeks out - have you been to get a fill yet? If so- how did that go? Is it working on the first try? I am only 1 1/2 weeks out. My hunger is coming back quickly, after surgery. I thought the "swelling" would help longer. I would like to know more about peoples first fill. Does your doc. do " blind fills"? or flouroscopy(spelling??)? My doc. says flouroscopy only. I wonder how common this is?

Have you tried more of the protein/fruit flavored drinks? ? Hope you can "enjoy" them. I like how well they can travel with you (the shaker bottles). I just leave a few in my truck, and when others do fast food- I order an ice Water to mix it up with!!! I'm not too sure yet about the pink lemonade I got (not in the shaker bottle). They do have a good hot chocolat though!!!! Nice change to something warm.

Good luck and I hope your recovery was quick and painless/painlittle.