Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

I have the Taylor scales too and they are horrible. :angry Wgt seems fairly accurate but you have to wait about 45 seconds for it to show wt and then 3 out of 4 times, I get an error message and have to start over. It will finally tell the good or bad news after sometimes 3 or more trys. My next goal is to find some decent scales. I seem to weight the same on them without clothes as on the drs with clothes.:clap2:

I am down 25 lbs since my first wgh in on Jan 25

Banded 2-21-07 down 13

12 lbs in last 6 wks

first fill March 27th. can tell no difference

I have the Taylor scales too and they are horrible. Wgt seems fairly accurate but you have to wait about 45 seconds for it to show wt and then 3 out of 4 times, I get an error message and have to start over. It will finally tell the good or bad news after sometimes 3 or more trys. My next goal is to find some decent scales. I seem to weight the same on them without clothes as on the drs with clothes.

We have the Taylor digital scale and have been happy thus far. It weighs us the same as the Dr. office and seems consistent. My hubby and I are both over 350...I started at 374 and he started at 393. I weigh first thing in the morning ONLY...I typically get up and go pee, weigh, drink 32 ounces of COLD Water then wait 30 minutes and eat b'fast and take a Vitamin B supplement. Ours only takes about 5-10 seconds to start reading...I wonder if you guys are having battery issues??? I don't even know if there's a place to change the battery or where the battery would go if you did change it. We've only had ours for about 1 1/2 months.

I'm sorry yours isn't working for you...when all else fails, try eBay...maybe you can find one there that's somewhat affordable.

If you're not happy with the one you have, you ought to take it back! At least you could use that money towards another one...

Hope you have a great day...I'll be posting on another topic in a few minutes...started my pre-op diet today....UGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!

I'm into it 5 hours and counting...:D (i'm actually not really counting yet - so far, so good).

I'm hoping it won't be too terrrible...it's good to know that this means I'm in the countdown to surgery (10 days)!

My hubby doesn't have to start until Thursday because his BMI is lower than mine.

My biggest challenge is feeding my four children (8 years and under) when I can't eat...I'm really worried that this is going to be difficult. I don't want them to have to live on Soup and sandwiches because I'm too selfish to cook them foods that might make me want to eat solids...

Well, you'll probably see me posting as the days go by...I'll need an outlet to whine and complain LOL!!

I'm not sure what brand my scale is, I can look when I get home, but it's digital and great. It starts flipping numbers the minute I get on. I have noticed that it tends to weigh me about 3# heavier the first time, so I just weigh 2 or 3 times and take the weight I get more than once. I bought it when I was around 320 and it worked the same way then.

The scale weighs me about 8lbs lighter than my surgeon's scale, and about 4'bs heavier than my PCPs.

I just ordered a weight watcher's scale off qvc. The item number is V24991. It measures body fat and weight up to 380 pounds with 10-user memory to keep track of your weight loss. I'll be getting it next week and let you know how it works. There was a great tip on another thread...put a 5 or 10 pound dumbbell on your scale to see if it is weighing correctly. ;)

Virginia

purplemonkey~

Thanks for letting me know about those scales, ,I'll be watching for your posts to see how they work for you!

Hmmmm maybe it IS the battery in mine that is wonky,,I'll change it and see. I dont mind paying a higher price for reliable scales,,and I've had these scales since before my surgery,,,so I dont think Wal-mart would look too kindly on me trying to bring them back. I emailed the Taylor company and voiced my displeasure adn they wrote back telling me how to calibrate them,,duh. I was getting a bit obsessive-compulsive about weighing,,so I've decided I'm not going to weigh until I go in for my next physician appt on the 12th.

Banded 1/29/07

Dr Ken Cleveland_CMMC-Jackson, MS

331/298/150

Got back home for surgery today!!! AF showed up just in time to be there with me-go figure!!!! Just saw some pics. of others getting banded in April 07 and...... they could be my success pics!!!! I'm glad to have the supersized thread!! Some times I just can not relate!!! You all find out what scale is just right.... and I'll go get one! I have not owned one in 15 years!!! and would not know where to begin. I have lost 24 pounds on pre-op diet and it is peeking an interest in the possibility of purchasing scales!

Got back home for surgery today!!!

How are you doing? Hope all went well!!!! If you have any details to share, feel free.

I started my pre-op diet yesterday YUUUUCCCCCKKKKKK!!!! The Protein Shakes are DISGUSTING!!! I had dreams about cheating...maybe the dreams will satisfy my urge to cheat and I'll be able to make it through the next 9 days!

Anyway, surgery for my husband and I is next Thursday with Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey. It's sneaking up SO quickly! So, like I said, any details of your experience that you want to share are welcomed!

Christy,

can you have different Protein Shakes or are they MD prescribed. Try a few different ones to find the one you like. Unsure makes some good ones. i think that's the brand name (not Ensure - maybe Unsury ???)

good luck in MX. :)

Welcome to Bandland, maziemommy! I hope you are recovering nicely! And thanks for the Healthwise suggestion; I ordered all the different fruit flavors today. So far my post-op liquid diet stage (2 weeks) has been the hardest part. Just get through this one Protein Drink at a time! My 1st fill is Thursday, and I’m a bit nervous!

Christy, definitely try some different shakes if yours are not prescribed! You’re gonna be drinking your Protein for a good stretch of time, and it’s worth it to find one you like. You don't want to burn out on icky protein & start fooling with your post-op liquid diet. Everybody's tastes are different, so you really need to poke around with flavors & brands yourself. I would highly suggest sampling protein powders PRE-OP. There were tons of people who told me that my tastes would change post-op. That may be true a little further down the line, but I have not experienced it yet at nearly 7-weeks out. I didn’t have a pre-op diet, but I almost wish I had one to experiment with these shakes & drinks before surgery! :mad: It's become my daily mission: Sample New Protein Drinks!

I finally found this website that sells samples of most of their protein powders. www.WLSSupplies.com The shipping wasn’t cheap, nor were the actual samples a great price (ranging from $1.30–1.60 each for the ones I’ve selected). But ya really just can’t buy small quantities of protein powder! And twice I’ve bought the 2lb tub of something that sounded good, only to gag on my $25 at the blender! :) So I’ve just invested in a sample of every powder that they offer described as a drink, cocktail, or juice (so tired of milky shakes). I really miss juice, so hopefully I’ll hit on something that's protein, juice-like, and tasty!

There’s another site that will send you 2 free samples from a limited selection of protein powders (plus 3 bonus Vitamin samples.) The free sample link is: http://order.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/wg-request-catalog?bariatriceating and the main site is:

Also, I keep hearing about people who’ve tried samples of the new bullet/ shooter style protein tubes (3oz of Liquid Protein in a test-tube), but I have not found a website selling less than a 12-pack. Can anybody point me in the right direction?:help:

Good luck to both of you!

I'm closing in on the end of Day Two of the Pre-Op diet. My family is upstairs eating dinner...grilled pork chops, macaroni and cheese, and green Beans. My hubby is feeding them, thankfully...

I think it's really starting to sink in...I'm realizing the depth of the changes we are getting ready to make in our lives...wow!! As I look through the pantry to decide what to feed the kids for lunch, I see things and think..."I'll probably never eat that again..." I guess I've just gotten so tied up in food (I suppose that's why I have a problem to begin with), that I just think about it too much.

Is anyone else around here doing pre-op liquid/protein right now? I know I can and WILL make it through, but my problem right now is that I really don't WANT to. I get a rumble in my tummy and just want to throw the whole thing out the window...:hungry:

I'm just griping...sorry!!! I'm determined ot make it through and excited about what's in store...I think that when I start to see results post-op, it'll make it a whole lot easier!!

Well, I guess that's it for now...thanks for listening!

Christy,

you can do this. i know you WANT to eat right now ... if you are like me, you've wanted (and did) eat enough before. you can do this liquid phase. think of your long term goal. visualize how you want to look. what you want to wear. how incredible you and your DH are going to feel after losing the weight. YOU CAN DO THIS!!

Christy-- you can see results a whole lot faster than post-op! I just got banded 4-2-07/yesterday, and I've lost 24#, since March (and my 2 week pre-op diet)! It was not easy, and I was not always... pleasant. But you can do it and see good results! If your husband is going for it too, it should be easier for you than me... MY DH actually eats in front of me, icecream cones, candy bars, TV dinners, anything! YOU CAN DO IT!

I went to check in at the hospital 5:30 a.m., surgery was at 7:30a.m., and Checked out at 1:30p.m. I thought I was well hydrated, but no food/fluids after 10p.m. the night before, and my veins were trouble! They "blew" a vein (not too bad/and fine now). Put in a tiny IV to get me to sleep and put in a 2nd IV for fluids. The 2nd one was in a sensitive spot, just below my right thumb.

Surgery went great and was quick. It seemed like quite a while before I could keep my eyes open, even for a short while. It took too long to get my prescription filled (DH insisted on Wal-mart to save$$$). He left me in the truck, over AN HOUR!!! My meds from the hospital wore off.... and I started to cry before he got back! Then, Wal-mart was sooo cheap they didn't even give us a dispenser. I choked on the liquid "Loritab" trying to sip it out of the cap. But, twenty minutes later I was prefectly fine!!! I went home felt good. Did some light house work, and had company over. I slept in my own bed, half the night on my tummy (the only way I can actually sleep). Today, when I woke I was ready for my pain relief. But, I have been out shopping and completed more house work (no lifting or straining). My washing machine died, so I may get to shop again tommorow!!(or wait for a repair man).GOOD LUCK!

My 1st fill is on Thursday, rescheduled from March 29th. I really do have restriction still without a fill. For last night's dinner I ate 3 of 4 (1" frozen) meatballs in Tomato sauce, with cheese -- I was full before starting the 4th one. I can't fathom more restriction than that...

Both the dietician (whom I saw Monday) & the nurse surgical coordinator who leads the clinic’s support group (with whom I confirmed my fill appt.) seem to think Dr. T will hold off on my 1st fill for a while longer. They said that NOT getting a fill is something he & I can discuss once he’s been able to recheck the position & function of the band by x-ray.

I can’t believe I’m contemplating not having that fill now because, as of this morning, I have not lost anything in a full week. I don’t even have any non-scale victories yet! ARGH! My goal is 200 lbs afterall, it's not like I don't want to make the most of my Band!! I did slack off the treadmilling for about 2 weeks after catching a bug with my kids, and I’m still struggling to meet that Fluid requirement. Hopefully exercise & Water are my problem, because I feel pretty good about my food intake overall…

Did anybody else hold off on getting that 1st fill because you were still doing well with the initial restriction of the band alone? Am I crazy to consider waiting while NOT continuing to loose?