Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

Hey Tracy - I still get the occassional port twinge when I do anything overly dramatic in the viscinity of my port. Not pain, precisely - but just a little shout out from my Port to remind me to take it easy.

I get the numb skin thing after fills, too. There must be a nerve that runs right over my port or touches it or something. They numb me before the big needle goes in and it stays kinda bubbly numb for way longer than the meds should cause. Don't freak. It's ok.

And don't fret about waiting until 4/02 for your first fill. If you need to eat, eat. Now is not the time to worry overly much about losing. Just heal, Chick. :]

Wheetsin - Looking fantastic!!! I know EXACTLY what you mean about the arms. I have that lumpy, creepy, wrinkly thing going on - and I haven't even lost that much weight. *sigh* Anybody know a fantastic PS in the Dallas Metro Area?

Hello- I have a BMI of 50 at the time of my surgery 05/06 312lbs- I had alot of personal issues and was not a good girl with getting my fills like I should. I just had my second fill 2 weeks ago and I feel great- getting back on track!! I haven't lost much weight because I waited so long for a fill- the doc told me that I had no restriction really- so- I am off and running- it is great to see others out there like me- going through the same " fun ". I can't wait to hit the 50 lb loss mark, For right now I will be happy with 20.

i totally agree. I am just starting my journey i am almost 4 weeks post opt i had surgery in mexico 2-26-07. I am doing pretty well so far i have lost -28lb but my weightloss has slowed this week as i am eating more normal. My bmi was 56 and its down a little now. I look forward to this journey i am starting and look forward to a happier heathier life. thanks misty

396/368/250?

quote=Wheetsin;187384]We need a place where we can support each other through our "more than most" journey. Just as turtles don't get much out of hearing us talking about fast we're losing, maybe it would give us a nice break from "I'm getting banded because I need to lose 60 lbs".

I think we have our own unique challenges, expectations, baggage, etc. -- and we need our own little niche to support eachother. We all have a very long journey ahead of us, and need to band together. :(

Supersizers---please tell me... I have seem many times, banders refer to the "toilet tongs" as a tool to "help" them reach to clean, after surgery...I have enough trouble reaching as is .....am I going to really be one of those in 2 months suggesting them, or is there an alterative? Does anyone of us 50+ BMI have experience with them? If it turns out that I will need/use them, is there a certain type that's better than others? ANY TIPS??? I'M SORRY IT SOUNDS GROSS BUT, I CAN'T NOT CLEAN, that's really gross!!!

Supersizers---please tell me... I have seem many times, banders refer to the "toilet tongs" as a tool to "help" them reach to clean, after surgery...I have enough trouble reaching as is .....am I going to really be one of those in 2 months suggesting them, or is there an alterative? Does anyone of us 50+ BMI have experience with them? If it turns out that I will need/use them, is there a certain type that's better than others? ANY TIPS??? I'M SORRY IT SOUNDS GROSS BUT, I CAN'T NOT CLEAN, that's really gross!!!

I'm curious about that as well...is there actually a tool made for that purpose? My brother was disabled and couldn't clean himself, so my Mom had a bidet installed...surely it won't come to that...or maybe I could just hang at her house for several weeks...:biggrin1: ...or not...

Once again...thanks everyone for being willing to share your experiences - good or bad - on this board! I have spent hours reading and researching and this place has been invaluable!!

Yes ladies.. YES THERE IS> in fact.. if you cruise through this entire thread and find the page where I started to post, a kind soul told me that in fact there IS a tool just for that. I ordered mine off of eBay and it was worth EVERY FREAKIN PENNY>

Go to eBay and type in a combo of these words..s.gifltCurve.gif

Self Wipe Bathroom Toilet Aid Wiper

HOLY CRAP THAT's BIG.. SORRY.. copied it off of the site. Well, it's an attention getter at that. Also, If and When you do get one, invest in some Huggies Wet wipes and use that in place of toilet paper. Makes a HUGE difference.

T

I'm curious about that as well...is there actually a tool made for that purpose? My brother was disabled and couldn't clean himself, so my Mom had a bidet installed...surely it won't come to that...or maybe I could just hang at her house for several weeks...:biggrin1: ...or not...

Once again...thanks everyone for being willing to share your experiences - good or bad - on this board! I have spent hours reading and researching and this place has been invaluable!!

I paid around 45 for mine. It's angled. eBay has a picture. I'll include a link and you can see the picture when you click on it. There is a clamp and it's angled. Ok, this one is different from the one i bought but it's good to know there are choices.

http://www.supersizeworld.com/25-600.htm

synicalchick-Does it look and act like tongs--what price range might I find it?

NONONO!! NOT scary. I LOVE mine... what's scary is a dirty a$$!! :(

thanks just saw one type -scarrrry! but could be helpful--thanks for being so quick with link too!

Here is the BEST tip I can give to combat the problem of yeast infections that love to thrive in moist, warm, environments. Are you ready? It's medicated foot powder... specifically DESINEX and it's available in any pharmacy store. I'm an RN and the tiny little bottles that the MDs prescribe for yeast rashes covers very little territory so I started reading ingredients and found Desinex.

Before applying it, clean the area with Water as hot as yu can tolerate it. Yeast is killed by extreme temps. Pat the area completely dry and apply the desinex. You'll have healing in a day or two.

synicalchick- Thanks for being so open, honest, and helpful, about such a personal suject...if I can't ask here, where can I? I don't know anyone in my personal life that's been through anything similar to this. Hope your well- soon to be banded 4-2-07.....367# 5'6" .....want to be a big loser!!-maziemommy

Some also suggest to use actual kitchen tongs. You can get them for anywhere from $1 at the Dollar store (but I don't think I'd use those, they don't lock) to the sky's the limit. I have found some nice ones at Target and Walmart that are the locking type and they run anywhere from $8 to $12 a pair.

I’ve never really had any difficulty completing that bathroom task of tasks (unless in a tight stall-ugh!). Even after my c-sections, cleansing properly wasn’t an issue. So while reading all the “tong” posts awhile back I didn’t think the advice would pertain to me post-op. Oh, I grimaced & sympathized, but I did not heed the warning. Boy, was I wrong! :) Lucky for me, I'd brougt along the squirt bottle they give you for postpartum perineal care -- just in case!

Pre-ops: There is going to be quite a bit of pain the first several days when you bend over to do anything! Anything! It was 3 days before I could wipe well without bringing tears to my eyes! I felt just great after my surgery, except when it came to bending or stretching – and then the 2 incisions near my port were really aggravated! :omg: (My other 3 incisions never hurt at all!)

A word of caution, however. I have 2 kids in diapers. The standard baby wipes can clog up your pipes. They are NOT meant to flush (according to 1st hand knowledge & the packaging). So if you are on septic, grinder pump, or otherwise have sensitive plumbing…! I suggest “Kandoo” potty-training wipes or “Always” feminine wipes, both of which are fine to flush.

Zannie, those are good suggestions for wipes, I'd like to add one: the Equate wipes in the blue package at Walmart. They're about $1.74 a pack (a lot cheaper than many others). You find them in the baby aisle.