Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

Hey all! I just had my surgery on 12/18. Initially I lost 20 lbs since then which is great, but now the weight loss has stalled as I've moved to pureeds/mushies. I was wondering what your experiences have been of about how long it takes to get the scale moving again? Thanks!!!

PS I started with a bmi of about 55 and now I'm at about 51

hi mypov,

remember that this is your healing stage. i dropped about 20-25 pounds the first couple of weeks as well then it does unfortunately stall.

when you get your first fill, it will help and once you have optimal restriction (sweet spot) it should be easier.

best of luck to you! :girl_hug:

My before surgery weight was 386 at 5'3 by BMI was 68.4 I'm down to 346. I had my surgery on 9/26/06. I think I'm doing okay. I went to my company's gym today and the trainer is going to work up a cardio and weigh program for me. (I'm lucky that my company has a full gym and trainers available for it employees at no cost.) I'm glad I found this site. When I was in my doctor classes (required) I was the only one who was having the lap band. My doctor seems different they most of the one's I've read about on this site. For example he will not do a fill for 3 months after surgery (he said it was because before he mess with the port he wants you healed.) I wish he would have did a fill a month or two out. I need to get better about write on the site. There is so much I need to say to someone who is going though this to. Maybe I get better in time with expressing my feelings in writing. Thanks for listening.(lisa)

I'm getting banded in 8 days- January 15th 2007. I'm 5'2 and have a BMI of 50.

I am wondering if those of us with BMIs over 50 loose quicker, on average, than those with lower BMIs? I know that usually we loose weight on diets more quickly just because we have more to loose. So is it the same with the band?

I know everyone differs greatly, but I'm talking about on average.

Thanks!!

Hi Lala,

I hope you have a great band experience. I had a very high bmi 59.6 to start with and now, 9 months later my bmi is 35.3!

So for me it has been fast- aboout 100 lbs in the first 5 months and 46 lbs in the last 4 months. Still going steady, but slowing down too. I needed to add in exercise at 5 months to keep the weight loss going.

Good luck.

Dawn

Banded April 4th, 2006

Montreal

358/ 211/179

Thanks Dawn. You have any tips as to why you have been so successful? I would LOVE to be in your place in 5 months!!!

hi my name is ibrahem . i did my surgery at 23-12-2006

my weight was 398 lb BMI is 60 .

now after 15 days i lost 13 lb . my goal is to lose 220 lb :)

may be it sounde too mush but i can did it .

i hope all of you to be my friends and support me because it is a hard way.

bay

Hi there. Im a slow loser. About 50 pounds in 9 months. But I still tend to drink with my meals especially since I love spicy foods so its my own fault.

Hi ibrahem, you're doing great! Keep up the good work. Yes, it's hard, but it gets easier with time. When do you get your first fill?

That is awesome dawn...can you give us any tips or advise. Did you ever cheat, how many calories did you eat, did you exercise...etc.

Please tell us all so we can be as successful as you! Okay. Did I beg enough?

Congratulations on your success!

Hi Lala,

I hope you have a great band experience. I had a very high bmi 59.6 to start with and now, 9 months later my bmi is 35.3!

So for me it has been fast- aboout 100 lbs in the first 5 months and 46 lbs in the last 4 months. Still going steady, but slowing down too. I needed to add in exercise at 5 months to keep the weight loss going.

Good luck.

Dawn

Banded April 4th, 2006

Montreal

358/ 211/179

I had a very high bmi 59.6 to start with and now, 9 months later my bmi is 35.3!

So for me it has been fast- aboout 100 lbs in the first 5 months and 46 lbs in the last 4 months.

Dawn! :wow2: Wouldn’t we all like to have your success!?! Are you up for imparting advice? What worked? What did not work? What kind of exercise is it that you are doing? What were you eating in the early months?

Now that I have my date (Feb 15th :high5:), I am trying to set myself up for success at home by shopping for the ‘good things’ now & eliminating from the pantry my weaknesses (yeasty carbs) & other ‘bad things’ before hand. I’d love to know the things to stock up on so I don’t have to go shopping much that 1st month. (My doctor’s office is a bit vague in their details.) What specifically worked for you, someone with such success?

You are a real inspiration! :clap2: Keep up the great work!:cheer2:

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. It has been quite a journey and I am enjoying so many NSV's these days... airplane washroom no problem, seat belts just fine thank you and my latest... size 8 medium running shoes - no more need for wide widths!!

For me, I think I have had a combination of luck and hard work. The weight loss has been steady and although it is slowing down it is still around 1.5 to 2 lbs a week. I know I will most likely hit a wall soon, so I am trying to mentally prepare for it.

I have never had liquids with meals and I haven't really cheated ... an extra bite hear or there but never really more than that. Although Christmas was hard. Julie NYC turned me onto running and now I run 4 to 5 times a week. I am doing intervals to build my endurance and now run for 2 minutes and walk for 1.5 minutes. I do this for 30 minutes and then walk out the last 10 minutes. I also do strength training 3 x a week.

I am loving how I feel about me and for the first time in my life my new years resolution is not about losing weight... it is about getting fitter and feeling good.

Good luck to you all.

BTW Ibrahem... you were banded on my birthday... must be a good luck charm!

Dawn

Banded April 4th, 2006

Montreal

weight.png

In my own experience, I'm really not so sure that drinking with meals matters. I do it both ways and eat the same regardless, and go the same time before hunger kicks in again. So if quantity is the same either way, and frequency is the same either way, why not do it?