Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

Good luck to you Chechnya!!!

The road is long but so worth it (at least my new size 18 jeans think so!!!!)

Banded April 4th 2006 (Montreal)

Fill June 9th 2006

weight.png

I have a question for the supersize group. I had a bariatric clinic tell me that they would not do a lap band on anyone over 400 lbs. They would only do by pass. Has anyone else had this happen? I was shocked. Why would they want to do more surgery on basicly a bad surgical candidate? Any feedback would be appriciated.

thanks...cat:faint:

Cat804 don't be shocked. I have never heard of this but I can believe it. Bypass has a lot to do with malabsorption and with the lap band you still have work to do....get your fills, don't eat around the band and to get the most bang for your buck, exercise.

I had a bariatric clinic tell me that they would not do a lap band on anyone over 400 lbs. They would only do by pass. Has anyone else had this happen? I was shocked. Why would they want to do more surgery on basicly a bad surgical candidate? Any feedback would be appriciated.
I ran into that when I was researching facilities for my surgery, but it wasn't over 400, it was with over 200 to lose, and I was really close to that mark.

Part of it has to do with the questionable and fluctuating weigthloss statistics. I don't know if it is still, but statistically speaking, RNY patients lost a greater percentage of their weight. Keep in mind this is comparing against LB patients who are held to a different level of accountability.

Also, because at over 400# there's no way you're "healthy" unless you're like 10'6, and RNY patients typically drop their weight faster, RNY is recommended because of the quick and more immediate (in most cases) weightloss.

A lot of doctors also feel that someone who has allowed themselves to get to 400# simply cannot make the changes necessary to succeed with LB weightloss.

And lots of other reasons, I'm sure.

When I went in for my consultation I truly expected the surgeon to debate my decision for LB with me. Based on all my past experiences, I just figured I would get some pressure to go RNY. I mean - he did RNY on a friend of mine who had a heck of a lot less to lose than I did. But he never said a thing about it, and next thing I knew my date was scheduled.

I'm glad for that, because if RNY had been my only option, I'd still be close to 400#, if not more.

I have a question for the supersize group. I had a bariatric clinic tell me that they would not do a lap band on anyone over 400 lbs. They would only do by pass. Has anyone else had this happen? I was shocked. Why would they want to do more surgery on basicly a bad surgical candidate? Any feedback would be appriciated.

thanks...cat:faint:

I weighed 446 before I got banded, and my surgeon didn't even blink. Dr. Malley doesn't like the by-pass for anybody because of how it rearranges your insides.

I was wondering if anybody has any good ideas for losing inches off the hanging belly/hip area? I've lost 81 lbs, and am still wearing my pre-op jeans because it refuses to come off below the waist LOL....

Thank you all for your advice and kind words. I guess I thought if I finally made up my mind the gates of paradise should open and nearly naked men should carry me to the operating room to have my bidding done. Dang... really got that wrong didn't I?:faint:

I only have two hospitals in driving distance that take my insurance. So next Wednesday I go to number two for the lecture. If I have to go farther than this it could be a problem for me financially. So everyone keep thier fingers crossed for me.:nervous

Congratulations Lapbandforlife!!!! I understand what a big goal you have achieved!!!! big hug!;)

thanks everyone for being here...Cat

....I was wondering if anybody has any good ideas for losing inches off the hanging belly/hip area? I've lost 81 lbs, and am still wearing my pre-op jeans because it refuses to come off below the waist LOL....

Brandy when you find out please let me know also. Unfortunatley I don't think it is going very far. It should shink up a little and flatten a bit as we lose more weight. Sounds like you may be joining me for plastic surgery a few years down the road.;)

I've finally started losing below the waist but it took a while, and it's definitely coming off slower. The first place I lost was neck/shoulders, then back. Then stomach. My gut/hips/thighs are smaller, but not in proportion to how much smaller the other areas are. About 6 months ago I started really being able to see my collar bones. About 5 months ago I noticed my "Inner tube" (nickname for that ring o' fat around my torso, that "came together" at my back... always reminded me of one of those floaty rings people wear in the pool) was not only not touching, it was gone, and no matter how far back I tried to bend & recreate it, I simply couldn't. About 2 months ago I was scratching my back and noticed I could feel my shoulderblades protruding... also around this time I noticed when I shaved my legs that my knees were really bumpy.

About 3 weeks ago I was playing with our dog and my wedding ring flew off my finger. I also wear an anniversary ring on the other hand, and between the two rings, I've "lost" a ring by having it fly off my finger about 5 times since then.

My thighs still not only touch but press together. I think upper/inner thigh is possibly going to be my worst area - there or pannus. Skin is definitely getting loose there. When I sit with my legs crossed (Indian style) there are "wrinkles" all over the place.

My pannus is flatter, but not shorter. :)

:cheer2: Oh Wheetsin:cheer2: you don't know how excited I am to hear about all these wonderful things. LOL I can't wait, I just can't wait.:)

I am so happy.....I did my weigh in and I am under 300 for the first time in so many years. 297.2. What a victory!!

:clap2: that is wonderful - welcome to Twoterville ...

i hope to make it there someday.

My pannus is flatter, but not shorter. :)

I hate to show my ignorance....but what is a pannus? :help:

scratching my head....probably not my pannus....cat:guess

Hi i was banded in Jan 2006 by a Mr P super in Heartlands hospital england my bmi was 67 and i have lost 4 stone and my weight has stopped coming of now

congrats wheetsin!

i agree i have lost in my back, upper chest, neck, face and legs but no tummy yet. i fo have kind of a funny story tho...my hubby and i were in bed last week and he kept rubbing his hand on my hip bone, kinda hard too, it hurt! finally he asked me "what is that?" when i told him it was my hip bone he seemed surprised! i'm not sure if that is a good story or a bad story?!?!