Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been seeing my doctor once a month for the past 5 months. My 6TH appointment is scheduled for 8/8/12. My consultation appointment at UC is 8/2/12.......next week!!

I'm starting to get nervous and hope all goes well. I really want this procedure to go through and I'm hoping that I'm not told I can't for some reason. What is expected at this 3 hour consultation appointment?

My mom had gastric by-pass but I'm looking into having the lap-band. I heard there is some other procedure called the sleeve, but I don't know much about it. I seen what my mom went through after having gastric and seen that loosing weight too fast causes you to have access skin. I just hope I'm making the right decision with having the lap band procedure.

Can anyone tell me how long after your consultation that surgery would take place?

Thanks

I've been seeing my doctor once a month for the past 5 months. My 6TH appointment is scheduled for 8/8/12. My consultation appointment at UC is 8/2/12.......next week!!

I'm starting to get nervous and hope all goes well. I really want this procedure to go through and I'm hoping that I'm not told I can't for some reason. What is expected at this 3 hour consultation appointment?

My mom had gastric by-pass but I'm looking into having the lap-band. I heard there is some other procedure called the sleeve, but I don't know much about it. I seen what my mom went through after having gastric and seen that loosing weight too fast causes you to have access skin. I just hope I'm making the right decision with having the lap band procedure.

Can anyone tell me how long after your consultation that surgery would take place?

Thanks

have you completed all your dr's pre op's?

Not for sure what you mean with pre ops. I called UC back in March to see if my insurance would cover the procedure. Once they confirmed that my insurance would cover the procedure, I was told to see my family doctor once a month for six months and to have the doctor keep a dietary record of my visits. After my 6TH appointment, UC will submit this information to my insurance company for approval. The consultation isn't covered under insurance.

Not for sure what you mean with pre ops. I called UC back in March to see if my insurance would cover the procedure. Once they confirmed that my insurance would cover the procedure, I was told to see my family doctor once a month for six months and to have the doctor keep a dietary record of my visits. After my 6TH appointment, UC will submit this information to my insurance company for approval. The consultation isn't covered under insurance.

for my surgery, i had to have chest xrays, meet with a nutritionist, have a mental eval, do a sleep test, have upper gi, some blood work and have my pcd write a letter of recommendation for me that showed my past attempts at weight loss....

i wish you all the best regardless of what surgery you choose.

You usually will be required to see other doc's as part of a pre op. My insurance approved my surgery, then according to my doc that was doing the lap band for me, I had to see a therapist, a nutritionist, a GI and a pulmonologist. I know some had to see a cardiologist too. Once these pre op appts are completed, then my surgery was scheduled.

I do know every doc is different, but I think most had to see some sort of pre op doc's first. You can ask around too.. you will see how everyone was different.

Good luck and I wish you the best!!!

Consulatation went well, in part. The counslor for the physch evaluation wasn't in and I have to go back in a few weeks to meet with her. I was also given two dates for some other visits. One is to see a nutritionist and the other is some hour long exercise class/lesson........not for sure what to expect but I was told to dress comfortable because I will sweat. I met with three people yesturday. One was a nurse who check my weight and height then talked to me about the procedure and what foods to eat before and after surgery. Then I met the doctor who will be performing the surgery and he explained to me the process too. Then I met the insurance lady. She seems to think I will have the lab band in place before the Holidays. There were three ladys in the office that have all been band!!!

Last week I met with the counselor and nutritionist. The nutritionist visit when well but the counselor/physch visit was almost like they are telling you that when you lose weight, your personal relationships will change. Almost as if she's predicting that I will want to leave my husband for someone else. It was a long unpleasant visit but I stuck it out and spoke my mind.

I don't have any appointments scheduled for the month of September. October 1ST I'm suppose to go to some exercise class where they will monitor my skills/ability to exercise and see how far I can go. No one can tell me about this class in the office because it's something new that just started.

It will be my luck that I will be on the two week liquid diet right around the Thanksgiving Holiday. :unsure: