Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In my fourth week please say I can start mushies!!!

Hi,

I know, I know, I should follow what my doctor says to do. But my doctor wants me on liquids for FOUR WEEKS. I am now in my fourth week and I have five days left of liquids and I am sooooo starving I can't focus at work! I don't feel like bugging my doctor because he will probably say no anyway, but do you really think I will slip my band if I start on cottage cheese, mashed potatoes, refried Beans, etc? Keep in mind I've been all liquids (full) for over three weeks and have not cheated once. Did my doctor do some different technique that would require a longer stomach healing time or something? I'm revenous. I'm already doing full Soups, blending up and thinning down stuff. I just want to start on stuff that will keep me fuller longer. I can't concentrate and am dizzy!

My nutirtionist told me that the post-op diet were guidelines not chiseled in stone. She said that you'll have better results if you stick to the diet, but you can always talk to your doctor if you just can't stand it. So, after two weeks of liquids, I was ready to chew the leg off the diningroom table. So, I asked my surgeon if it would be ok to move on and he said sure. That easy. So, call and ask if you haven't already.

If he says no, then he must have a good reason and you should follow his instructions. No matter what anyone here says or what other people did when they were post-op. Noone knows your situation and what's best for you like your own doctor does. I'd hate for you to be wrongly advised and then end up with problem. Ok? :hat:

Hi,

I know, I know, I should follow what my doctor says to do. But my doctor wants me on liquids for FOUR WEEKS. I am now in my fourth week and I have five days left of liquids and I am sooooo starving I can't focus at work! I don't feel like bugging my doctor because he will probably say no anyway, but do you really think I will slip my band if I start on cottage cheese, mashed potatoes, refried Beans, etc? Keep in mind I've been all liquids (full) for over three weeks and have not cheated once. Did my doctor do some different technique that would require a longer stomach healing time or something? I'm revenous. I'm already doing full Soups, blending up and thinning down stuff. I just want to start on stuff that will keep me fuller longer. I can't concentrate and am dizzy!

OK..OK... I know people say follow your Dr.'s rules to a tee, but I was only on Liquids for 2 days, and then mushies for 4-7 and then into chicken and tuna by day 7. My Dr has only had 4 slips in over 700 bandings. I think you would be fine, but I am not a Dr so what do I know!?!?! But, I was starving and called my Dr and they told me to eat as I felt ready...if liquids weren't keeping me full, then it was time to move on to the next stage...and so on. I think you would be fine, but do what feels right to you!

Sunta: Your post made me laugh b/c I am now on week 3 of mushies and desperate to chew something. LOL I was on Clear Liquids for days 1-4, full liquids for days 5-7 and then it's mushies until the beginning of week 4 and my mushies are supposed to go through a straw.

I am proud to say that I have made cottage cheese, refried Beans, and mashed potatoes thin enough to be drank through a straw. Why don't you give that a try since that will still be following docs orders but you'll feel full longer.

Good luck and glad that you're feeling so much better.

Julie

Sunta, bless your heart! We've all been there. I only had 2 weeks and CRAVED scrambled eggs. Boy was it a surprise when I finally had some and had (3) bites!

Ask your surgeon, either he gives you the OK or doesn't. My surgeon told me to go for it 2 days early. Whooppee!!!

Personally, I would start with some cottage cheese and chew, chew.

You're doing wonderful!!!! Shawn

wow 4 weeks of liquid, no way; after my first fill, it was 7 days and i went 5 days and ate chicken wings (very small bites and chewed well); i ate carrots, celery, omletes (1 egg, mushrooms, cheese); Protein Drinks, smoothie king--gladiator 45 grams of protein; after my surgeryi started mushies about 5 days ahead of what doctor told me; wow the weight you must have lost on liquids

Hi!

I would definately call your Dr. My post op was 1 week liquid, 1 week cream Soups & puddings, 1 week soft mushies, 1 week pureed, soft meat and so on. I wouldn't do anything without contacting the Dr., but it's definately worth the effort.

I too was banded and told to be on liquids for 4 weeks. I actually started just a very small amount of applesauce and cottage cheese (chew, chew, chew) at the start of week 4. This past Wednesday started mushies and to tell you the truth.. the liquids were easier. Things for me don't taste the same. Don't like scrambled eggs anymore. But did make chili tonight and pureed mine and it was still REALLY good. Made low fat ricotta cheese with spagetti sauce last night and that was good. I think liquids are just easier because there is not as much thought and preparation but mushies are a very necessary step to help your stomach transition to real food and not work so hard to digest until healed.

While ordering my Protein supplement on 4webmed.com, saw that they have pureed meats, veggies and fruits. I ordered a few just to make this 2 weeks a little easier. Stick them in the oven, let them cook and eat. :hungry: