Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fruit Smoothie 1 Week Post-op?

Quick question. I was supposed to start full liquids today, although I really started like 4 days ago because I've been way too active to stick to Clear Liquids. I've tolerated everything very well.

I'm wondering now if I can have use fresh strawberries and blueberries with a bit of Protein Powder to make a fruit smoothie. Or would that be pushing it??

TIA!

:) Kristin

I would steer clear of milk products until you doctor tell you it's okay. I was told that it takes more work for your stomach to digest it & your stomach isn't quite ready for that. I don't know about the fruit. Remember, you're healing right now!!

Kristen, I know that MsJoy had problems with the strawberries (she tried them too early). But a smoothie with some bananas, crushed ice, splenda and maybe a little yogurt would be great.

My doctor said anything I could get through a straw was ok and he would consider it a liquid. I asked him specifically if I could blend up fruit and he said yes. He also said that if I want to blend meat and veggies in a Soup and thin it out enough to get it through a straw, that would be fine. The best thing is to call your doctor's office and ask what he/she recommends.

I think if you blend it until there are no chunks you should be fine. I tried this with a frozen fruit mix and couldn't drink it becuase of all the seeds (raspberries, strawberries, etc). If you go with something that will truly be smooth as the milk when blended you should be fine.

Thanks so much! I think that the "straw rule" will help me figure things out a bit more. I'm getting bored with Protein Shakes, so I'm getting a little creative now. I just don't want to do anything to hurt myself or my new "friend"!

:) Kristin

I was told not to drink from a straw because it might umm:paranoid increase the gas problem.But I tried using flat diet soda in fruit flavors to change up a bit and they are really good tonight I am gonna mix in a little strawberry/banana yogurt and milk with the Protein and see how it works

yeah but when you consider you really don't have alot of restriction when it comes to fluids it pretty much passes right through. I would be concerned about stretching the pouch if the Fluid stayed in it for a while but it doesn't.