Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone, I just want to let me sad feelings out. I just had my first fill on Monday and instead of losing weight I am gaining weight. I know it is a tool to help us lose weight but it's like I don't even have the band because I can eat anything. The purpose of the band was to help me by restricting me right? I have a 14cc band and barely have 2cc filled. I know I have to be patient but I get so hungry. I try being on a diet but that was my problem before the band, feeling very hungry and so I would just go ahead and eat anything and broke my diet. I just don't want to gain more weight :(

I'm sorry you're feeling down today :(

A couple things that may help you to know.

First, it takes most people multiple fills to have restriction. It's a slow, frustrating process. Many refer to the time between surgery and good restriction as "bandster hell", because you can still eat just like you did before surgery.

Which leads me to the next thing, and this one will be hard until you have good restriction, but remember just because you can eat something doesn't mean you should. The very best thing you can do for yourself is make healthy food choices and stick to 1 cup or less of food per meal. It will get easier once you have good restriction, but in the meantime it's necessary to white knuckle through it if you want to lose weight.

Are you getting enough Protein in? It really does help you feel fuller for a longer period of time. I find sipping Water or another zero calorie non-carbonated beverage throughout the day helped to ease hunger too.

Hang in there, you can do this!

It is very difficult, particularly the first few months, I did not start feeling restriction unitl my 3rd fill, I have had several stuck episodes since the last fill and i stay fuller longer, but I still have to remind myself that I am not hungry, because I am grazer, i had to stop bringing Snacks to work and only bring my alloted meals. My brain is starting to cooperate but it is a daily stuggle. I also try to remember that diverting from new choices does not mean I go on a 6 month binge, I start over the next meal and move on from slip up. Try to stay positive, the scale will go up but it will also go down....Best of luck to you!

First of all is it that time of the month or coming in close?

How often are you weighing yourself, if it is daily you will see a fluctuation. I have gotten into the trap of weighing daily and it will make you obsess, so if so then stop it! I gained right before my last appt I gained 3 lbs, which kinda irritated me! I come back and then it started to even out some and dropping back off. I had been in a situation where I got dehydrated and was sweating and I just seemed to poof up. The following week I made sure to drink lots of Water.

Make sure you are eating enough calories too, if you go too low your body might hold onto everything. After the above situation I also bumped up the calories for a day and it seemed to help.

So don't give up since you will have fluctuations. Good luck

First of all is it that time of the month or coming in close?

How often are you weighing yourself, if it is daily you will see a fluctuation. I have gotten into the trap of weighing daily and it will make you obsess, so if so then stop it! I gained right before my last appt I gained 3 lbs, which kinda irritated me! I come back and then it started to even out some and dropping back off. I had been in a situation where I got dehydrated and was sweating and I just seemed to poof up. The following week I made sure to drink lots of Water.

Make sure you are eating enough calories too, if you go too low your body might hold onto everything. After the above situation I also bumped up the calories for a day and it seemed to help.

So don't give up since you will have fluctuations. Good luck

*** just because you can eat something doesn't mean you should. The very best thing you can do for yourself is make healthy food choices and stick to 1 cup or less of food per meal*** from mis73---excellent advice. one i take very seriously.

it'll get better, just hang in there

The thing I try to remember is I got this way from eating the way I have been for 40 years! I have to consciously unlearn that everyday! It is not easy. I find myself doing fine during the day, but at night... yuck! I want to eat everything! I think we all will get this. It does take some effort as I used to eat and not even realize I was. I find myself still looking in the fridge and then walking away knowing I didnt really want anything. Sometimes I fail and snack. I have not had a fill yet, so I can eat fine myself.

Its a process I think. I am not perfect, but I know I will stop with the bad choices because this is what I want more than I want that darn food!

Good luck and you will succeed!!