Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeon Doesn't To Want To Accept My Insurance

After seeing my surgeon for over a year and paying out of pocket, now that I have insurance, his office is telling me that they will not take my insurance. That once I am self-pay and I will remain self-pay. This is absolutely ridiculous! I feel like thru out the time that I was a self-pay and forking over $150 a pop, I wasn't getting much of a fill. I haven't felt any restriction for the longest time. And, at $150 a visit, I cannot go as often as they recommend I do. Now, I'm stuck. I'm gonna have to find a new surgeon that will take me even if they didn't perform my surgery. This is very frustrating. I chose the higher insurance so that it would cover the fills. Now, this is putting a dent into my plan. Any suggestions? I called United and they told me that my fills will be covered, regardless of who paid for the surgery. One option is for me to self-pay and submit it to the insurance company. I realize that it will be extremely hard for me to find another surgeon who will fill a band that they didn't put it. I am so disappointed because this surgeon was highly recommended to me and we work for the same facility. I know the band is a tool but if there is no restriction, why even have the lap band? :angry:

Im in Canada, so our insurance is slightly different, but I am always able (and I have to in most situations) pay upfront and wait to be reimbursed. It's not such a bad thing, and when it's only $150, I would do that. It sucks though, going to the dentist, and paying $600 and waitin for that to come back!

You are right NO surgeon would want to touch you if they didn't perform the surgery.

I would suggest to call your insurance and find out what the process is to submit a claim so you can get reimbursed after self pay. Request that your fill is a little larger than they usually give you so that you don't have to go in as often.

Good Luck with everything!!

Other surgeons will do the fills even if they didn't do the surgery. You just have to have your records sent to the new docs office. Just do some checking in your area and call and find one to accept.

I know American doctors typically won't touch a patient banded in Mexico, but the majority will take on patients banded by other American doctors. I know there are some that won't, but they seem to be exception not the rule.

Some do charge a program or initial fee when you switch to them, though.

I'd definitely start looking for another that will take your insurance.