Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can The Band Reposition Itself After A Slip?

Hey all,

Ive had my band for almost 3 yrs and have been very hapy with my over 100 lb success. About 7 mths ago, I began experiencing bad reflux every single nite. I was taking 1 RX Nexium, 2 RX Prilosec, and 5 OTC Zantac. Plus enuf Tums to feed a village of starving children. And sleeping almost sitting up, propped on 3 pillows makes for a lousy nite of sleep. I was afraid of telling my dr for fear that he'd say I was too tight and take Fluid out. I finally gave in to my husbands pleadings and after an xray, a slipped band was found to be the culprit.

The PA took 1/2 of my 9cc fill out and let me rest for 44 wks. The reflux stopped immediately. I did pretty well only gaining 3 lbs during this time. Without xraying me to make sure it was corrected, my dr put in 1cc. Still no reflux but also no restriction. 2 wks later later he put another 1cc in. Finally restriction again -to but along with it came the severe reflux again. I wish i had insisted on a followup xray to make sure my band was in place before starting the fill process again.

Since I was out of the state for 2 wks, I emailed my RN. She responded and said Id need to come in and have some taken out. Ive been home for 4a days now and havent had reflux the last 3 nites. So did it correct itself or is the lack of reflux just a quirk? Its a 6 hr round trip and $160 everytime I see the doc. Should I make an appt on Monday or wait and see if the reflux returns? Can the band reposition itself once it slips?

Marci

Not sure if it did or could fix itself but to me better safe than sorry. If you go I would insist on an X-ray or ugi

Just my 2 cents.

Wendy

I am one of these folks who doesn't run to the Dr with every hang nail. My questions are can you eat food with no problem, could be you swelled after the fill , could be warm weather and that caused the reflux.

I would give it a couple of days and see if it comes back. At your weight do you really need that much restriction to maintain your weight loss I can tell you acid reflux over time cause serious damage so if you are refluxing every night STOP. And all those meds are nasty and should not be nesesasary. After losing over 100 lbs you have learned how to eat 3lb weight gain could be Water and compared to sleeping upright it sounds like a better trade off.

Yes, a band can reposition itself. Usually, it is after the fill is out. If you can eat and have no reflux, I would say that you are okay. But, if you are in doubt, call your surgeon's office and ask. I don't blame you for not wanting to drive the 6 hours for a "yes" answer. Best wishes, your body, your decision. Karen

This same thing happened to me. The ONLY sypmtom I had was reflux. I ended up getting a lap band revsions with nissen procedure to repair hiatal hernia caused by slip and had to have 4hrs of surgery to cleann out scar tissue. So don't take it lightly as I don't anymore. I have had my band 2 1/2 yrs and lost 100 + lbs.

Unfortuntaely only 25% will return to postion. Most do not mose need surgery or removal. I opted for revision since the band worked for me. We had no idea what actual damage the slip had done until he got in there.

Thanks for all your comments. Its now been 4 nites of no reflux. Just mild heartburn. Think ill hold out till it starts again. I went a yr without seeing my dr at all and Ive seen him about 5 times in the past 6 mths.

Oh, and I've now gained a total of 9 lbs. I dont even need a belt for my jeans anymore. That sucks.

Still happy with my band tho

Marci

Hey all' date='

Ive had my band for almost 3 yrs and have been very hapy with my over 100 lb success. About 7 mths ago, I began experiencing bad reflux every single nite. I was taking 1 RX Nexium, 2 RX Prilosec, and 5 OTC Zantac. Plus enuf Tums to feed a village of starving children. And sleeping almost sitting up, propped on 3 pillows makes for a lousy nite of sleep. I was afraid of telling my dr for fear that he'd say I was too tight and take Fluid out. I finally gave in to my husbands pleadings and after an xray, a slipped band was found to be the culprit.

The PA took 1/2 of my 9cc fill out and let me rest for 44 wks. The reflux stopped immediately. I did pretty well only gaining 3 lbs during this time. Without xraying me to make sure it was corrected, my dr put in 1cc. Still no reflux but also no restriction. 2 wks later later he put another 1cc in. Finally restriction again -to but along with it came the severe reflux again. I wish i had insisted on a followup xray to make sure my band was in place before starting the fill process again.

Since I was out of the state for 2 wks, I emailed my RN. She responded and said Id need to come in and have some taken out. Ive been home for 4a days now and havent had reflux the last 3 nites. So did it correct itself or is the lack of reflux just a quirk? Its a 6 hr round trip and 160 everytime I see the doc. Should I make an appt on Monday or wait and see if the reflux returns? Can the band reposition itself once it slips?

Marci[/quote']

OMG

That's what's happening to me! For three years no problems then suddenly all this reflux! I'm not eating much these days because if it and I don't want to loose any more weight, but I hate the heartburn. I'd like to know why after three years?

Liz

At just over 2 years out and 198 lbs lost, my band slipped. It did reposition itself after a complete unfill, only to slip again after a few more fills, about 4 months later. It also developed a leak.

According to the two surgeons I saw, once it slips, the chances are it will likely slip again.

I ended up opting to have it removed (yesterday as a matter of fact) and will revise to the sleeve in a few months. I couldn't do it one surgery because of the extent of damage caused by the band.

I don't really regret my band, as I lost a lot of weight and am going to revise. I don't know if I would have been brave enough to go with a more invasive WLS had I not started with and had such success with the band first. However, I was virtually the model band patient, followed the rules to a "T", and I still ended up with two slips and a leak.