Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Fill Or Not To Fill? Experienced Bandsters Please Chime In...

Is it a good idea to get a fill at this point?

I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow, and of course, I will ask his opinion and follow his orders.

That stated, I'd like to hear what banded folks think...sure my doc is the expert, and I respect that, but for now I'd like to hear from you all....

• I was banded 1 month ago.
  • I feel like I have restriction. I say that because I can't eat much at one time (1 cup-1.5 cup), get stuck (very painful) if I don't chew very well, stay full for approximately 2-3 hours. I mainly eat yogurt, Protein Shakes, tuna, salads...etc, things that go down easily.
  • I have no desire to eat most foods because they will get stuck or because I'm just not hungry.
  • I eat fewer than 1200 calories a day and I am 90% satisfied and do not find it to be much of a struggle.
  • Right now I'm comfortable with my food intake.

CONFLICT....I have not lost weight in 2 weeks (since starting soft foods).

I'm not terribly bothered by not loosing weight, but I will be if I don't lose soon. Should I be loosing at this point? And should my current lack of weightless lead me to get a fill, even though I don't feel like I need more restriction?

So that's it basically: Feel restriction with only slight discomfort, eating a great diet, not loosing weight.

Oh, and some additional info:

Consuming less than 1200 calories a day.

I track every bite of food I eat via My Fitness Pal

Less than 90 carbs a day (from fruit, veggies, yogurt, beans),

60-90 grams of protein

Around 45 grams of fat (mostly from eggs, mashed Beans, tiny bit of Salad Dressing, and lite mayo in tuna- must have mayo to get the tuna down due to dryness).

I'm eating about half of what I ate pre-band and it's all healthy stuff (and I wasn't even gaining weight at that caloric count pre-band)

I'm exercising 30-40 minutes a day 3 tines a week (which is new for me).

My bad...I'm only getting in about 1/2 of my Water due to fullness.

Please chime in with your thoughts...

Talk to your doctor, but if it were me I wouldn't fill. I was in the same situation and my surgeon put a lot of pressure on me to be filled. Eventually I had problems and got too tight despite having less then 3 ccs in my band and now am fully unfilled. trust your body. The weight loss will come.

I wouldn't get a fill, but still talk to your doc. My surgeon told me not to look for any weightloss a month out. You sound like you're doing great!

I am the same way. I was banded may 24 and have not had a fill and I still have restriction. I've lost 30 lbs but was at a standstill for two weeks. I exercise very little. I keep wondering if I should get a fill?? I get hungry about every 4 hours but eat very little. What do you think?

Is it a good idea to get a fill at this point?

I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow, and of course, I will ask his opinion and follow his orders.

That stated, I'd like to hear what banded folks think...sure my doc is the expert, and I respect that, but for now I'd like to hear from you all....

• I was banded 1 month ago.
  • I feel like I have restriction. I say that because I can't eat much at one time (1 cup-1.5 cup), get stuck (very painful) if I don't chew very well, stay full for approximately 2-3 hours. I mainly eat yogurt, Protein shakes, tuna, salads...etc, things that go down easily.
  • I have no desire to eat most foods because they will get stuck or because I'm just not hungry.
  • I eat fewer than 1200 calories a day and I am 90% satisfied and do not find it to be much of a struggle.
  • Right now I'm comfortable with my food intake.

CONFLICT....I have not lost weight in 2 weeks (since starting soft foods).

I'm not terribly bothered by not loosing weight, but I will be if I don't lose soon. Should I be loosing at this point? And should my current lack of weightless lead me to get a fill, even though I don't feel like I need more restriction?

So that's it basically: Feel restriction with only slight discomfort, eating a great diet, not loosing weight.

Oh, and some additional info:

Consuming less than 1200 calories a day.

I track every bite of food I eat via My Fitness Pal

Less than 90 carbs a day (from fruit, veggies, yogurt, beans),

60-90 grams of protein

Around 45 grams of fat (mostly from eggs, mashed Beans, tiny bit of salad dressing, and lite mayo in tuna- must have mayo to get the tuna down due to dryness).

I'm eating about half of what I ate pre-band and it's all healthy stuff (and I wasn't even gaining weight at that caloric count pre-band)

I'm exercising 30-40 minutes a day 3 tines a week (which is new for me).

My bad...I'm only getting in about 1/2 of my Water due to fullness.

Please chime in with your thoughts...

Is it possible to have four small meals a day? it may be that less than 1200 calories isnt enough for you.. your body is being stubborn because it thinks its going through a famine. im learning now to stagger my calorie intake, and my Protein intake, day by day. One day, about 1400.... next day maybe 1200 or less.. and on it goes. Its worth a thought?? what do you think??

Did your doctor put any fill in during surgery? At four weeks I was on firm mushies (canned chicken, tuna) and NEVER PB'd or vomitted. If anything it sounds like you are too tight, thus my comment about a surgery fill. My doctor would not give you a fill if you are having stuck episodes on mushies. You need to be able to eat 3 oz of solid Protein plus veggies.

Not terribly suprised you've had a weight loss slow down; that happens as you progress your diet. Some of us loose slowly; so don't expect to loose 2+ pounds a week all the time. I am at restriction and don't loose that much.

UPDATE:

Doctor urged me, so I got the fill that day (July 19).

I went from 1.5 to 2.3 (or 2.8, can't remember).

I don't feel any different.

Still eating 1100-1200 calories a day, quite easily (not desiring much more).

Still get stuck and it comes back up if I don't follow band rules.

Im scheduled for another fill in 2 weeks and I will get a small one.

I'm keeping the fills small until I can't eat 1000 a day, or I feel too uncomfortable. I expect to get there soon.

I'd like it to come off faster, but as long as I'm moving down the scale, I'll be happy.

I have lost 2.5 pounds since the fill (almost 3 weeks ago - SLOW, but steady)