Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Possibly Dumb Question

My surgeon advised me not to dive for a few days after surgery, at least until I'm off tge pain meds. I currently walk my daughter 1 mile, 1.6km to school each morning, then I obviously walk another 1.6km home on my own.

Walking is good for relieving gas pains.

Mummies recover from surgery better while children are at school and not at home wanting things (proven fact).

I won't be allowed to drive her to school that first week post op.

Surgery is on Monday, home on Tuesday, do you think Wednesday is unrealistic to be walking that far? Walking at a 6year olds pace is only just faster than walking backwards so I won't be traveling at any real speed, I'm just worried about the distance.

Any suggestions?

No, I think you should be fine to walk that far just take it easy, maybe leave a little earlier than usual. Although if it was me I would drive. I spoke to my surgeon and he cleared me to drive the 3km to the school busstop 2 days after surgery.

I think you will be surprised at what & how much you are capable of doing after your surgery. I certainly was. I would say drive it just to be safe & certain for the first week or so. I hired a nanny to help me for a week after I got my band (my boys were 1 & 3 at the time). Made a huge difference as I was able to relax & chill & focus on myself for a few days. Now it's almost 2 years later and I weigh 137 lbs! Good luck to you!!!!

Not a dumb question at all! :)

The reason the surgeon doesn't want you driving is because of the pain meds. If I were you, I'd gauge it on your feel that morning. If you feel like the walk will do you good, definitely give it a try. If you think you'll need to drive, just don't take your pain meds until after you get home from driving her.

Best wishes.

I do have a coffee shop quite close to the school that I can stop at if I need to. 2 days After my appendectomy last year, my ex dragged me around Ikea for 3 hours. He thought he would need to call an ambulance by the end of it. I know not to push myself that hard again.

IKEA after two da

Sorry I hit send.

Anyway. That's amazing you did IKEA after 2 days. I just had my appendix out in apr. and I could barely move for a week.

Have a back up plan in place, just in case. Even if you make it to school okay, you may find the walk home a bit too much.

I walked at least five miles daily before surgery, and at my group pre-op meeting, we were encouraged to resume walking the day of surgery to help alleviate gas pains. I didn't walk five miles the day of surgery, but I did walk a lot and had no problems. The day of my surgery, I specifically asked about how quickly I could resume my regular walking schedule, and I was told as soon as I felt like it. The first couple of days, I didn't walk the five miles all at once but rather divided that distance up into a couple of less lengthy walks. The only difference I noticed was an increase in swelling which my surgeon said was to be expected.

This past April, I had an appendectomy after my appendix ruptured, and the first week after that surgery, I was exhausted. I had expected my recovery from lap band surgery to be about same, but it was much easier.

Day four I went back to the gym and did about 45 minutes on the treadmil. Day 3 seems a little early to be walking that far.