Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had my surgery almost two weeks ago and have had problems with my back since day one. My surgeon said to put a heating pad on it, well a heating pad and tylenol are not helping me at all.. I've also had a strange sharp stabbing pain run from my chest to my left arm/shoulder.. Very very painful. Didn't have either issues pre op. it was suggested to me to take a short term disability leave for these issues. After thinking long and hard about it I think I'm going to try. The pain makes it very difficult to concentrate at work. I'm going to talk to my surgeon about this today. The pain is not a silly "oh I slept wrong in the bed" kind of pain, I'd describe it at severe.

Have any of you experienced these kinds of pains post op that were not present pre op?

Opinions welcome :)

Banded 7/5/2012 :)

Does it feel muscular or skeletal?

I had air pain post-op for about 2 weeks, plus I get pain under my shoulder blade with each fill. My vagal nerve gets irriated by the band, and I get this intensely sharp pain under my left shoulder blade that radiates. The air pain was a constant nagging pain, better when I would lay flat. I would take ibuprofen, and alternate heat and ice. I know the heat will help the air dissipate, but ice felt better. Walking helped a lot too. Gas-x didn't touch it for me. I was rather miserable at work for the first two weeks back (I only took off two days after surgery) because sitting would make the pain worse.

Good luck to you, being in pain kind of hinders the excitement of being banded!

I wonder if it could be the Vagus nerve being pinched by the band.

I've had similar pain and went to see my chiropractor - turns out three of my ribs were sublocated during surgery. :( According to my chiro this isn't uncommon after surgery as you're body is put in a position sometimes that you don't have the muscle mass to sustain and it moves stuff around. She got my ribs back in place and I felt some relief for about a day but they've seemed to sleep again so I'm going back Friday. Maybe worth seeing a chiropractor and see if you're having a similiar issue.

Some of it is gas from the C02 they use to inflate your abdomen some of it is the postion during the surgery. It took 2 weeks for all that pain to subside. The pain from my back, shoulder and neck were worse than the actual surgical pain. Heat, pain meds and walking will help.

like NC , my shoulder, neck and back hurt pretty well. thank heavens for meds they gave me (and standing in very hot shower). about 7/8 days out, i got to feeling much better. if pain is 9-10 scale, call DR asap.

When I went to the doctor, he sent me for a cat scan of my back and shoulder and when u called the MRI place to schedule an appointment and they thought that was so odd that he would order that for back pains.. They suggested I give him a call to make sure.. His office is on lunch, will call in a little while. I feel so confused.

Banded 7/5/2012 :)