Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just approved for bariatric surgery. My surgery will be scheduled for late Aug. I'm still not sure what procedure...my mom had the bypass and has done wonderfully. My cousin was banded and did very well too. I know of many who had the bypass and lost a lot of weight and then put it back on plus. My husband is an ER doc and says "No gastric bypass."- of course he sees only the negative end of it. I know that I love carbs-my surgeon highly reccomends the bypass for me and because he feels I will be dissappointed if I don't see drastic weight loss. I am sooo torn and a little scared about bypass. I'm just looking for some answers and hoping you all can share your stories- successes and disappointments. Thanks.

Do you have any metabolic reasons for bypass? Diabetes.. PCOS... Etc.

It really is a personal decision. Every doctor recommended RNY over LapBand for me. Because of my PCOS and Insulin Resistance... and my love of sweets and sugar. But I didn't want it. I was not comfortable with it. I had a friend who became very very ill and was in and out of a nursing home because of complications. Scared the crap out of me!!!

I didnt want to reroute my intestines. And I certainly did not like the 1/200 mortality rate. Too scary for me. I was relatively healthy. I was just fat. No huge co-morbitities. Yet.

So I stuck to my guns and got the band. I lost 100 pounds initially before I had some hiccups. Gallbladder issues and eventually surgery. Then a leak. Port replacement surgery. Then reflux and heartburn. Hiatal hernia and band repositioning surgery. So I regained 56 pounds somewhere along the way. Took a mental break for awhile. And now I am back on board. Relost 39 of those 56... and still going.

Even with everything I have been through, I am still happy to have my band. It took me awhile to really get a grip on my head hunger... but now I feel good and am really back on track. I like that I can go in for adjustments, follow up with my surgeon.

You need to go with your gut. Which surgery feels right for you. You are the one living with it and working with it. Keep researching.

So much if WLS is head work. Especially with the band. Every calorie you eat you are accountable for. Do you want/need the added help of malabsorption? Or will a purely restrictive surgery be enough? Only YOU know.

Good luck with your decision!

• i didnt want bypass because i didnt want my insides rerouted, so i only researched lapband. i was very comfy with my decision and was banded last December. Down 45 lbs with no complications. I love carbs too, but the less i eat them the less i crave them. I still eat a little everday, usually wheat thins . I still think getting banded was the best decision i ever made because my life has changed for the better 100 %. i have a co worker who had gastric bypass 2 yrs ago, all she talks about is what she can and cant eat. Its a never ending story . Me ? i still can eat about 95 % of what i ate before and it just keeps getting better and better. I have more energy, look and feel better and my recovery time was so quick ! Operation, recovery and time to get homewas 5 hrs. Back to work in 7 days ! Easy !!! Hope this helps ! good luck !

i wanted the lap band (and was not comfortable with the bypass as once they cut your stomach, there is no going back). even when the dr suggested the bypass for me, i stuck w/my guns and went with what my (head/heart told me). he also did the plication with my band (which is similar to the sleeve w/no cutting) and i am very pleased with my results so far. down 40 since June.

research, ask questions and then ask so more but choose what is right for you. all people are different. i may not lose as fast as joe blowfish but i am loosing at my pace (and slower weight loss could mean.. less saggy skin as can happen w/the bypass).

you are the one who has to do this, so only you can decide.

do not compare what someone else has done. ..that is them... this is you.

all the best GF. :)

It really is a personal preference, but I opted for the band. The initial surgeon I saw tried to convince me to get the bypass, but i felt that it was far too invasive. I was only 21 when i got the surgery.

The weight loss is slower, but it's still weight loss. Don't they always say, to lose weight slower is healthier? :)

I have a hiatal hernia (likely due to band) and also had to have my gallbladder removed, which with any extremem weight loss a lot of people have to have their gallbladder removed.

Overall, even if I do have some side effects, I am satisfied with my band. I can eat almost anything I want, just in the right portion sizes. And, I like the fact that my surgeon knows me after seeing him so many times for fills and unfills. It makes for a more personable surgical experience.

My mom, dad, sister and brother-in-law all have the band too....we are a big band family :)