Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has Anyone Experienced Anxiety With Having The Lab?

I had the worst episode of anxiety after my first meal of solid food. I thought I was stuck which could have increase the feeling of anxiety. but I had no pain but did have extreme dryness and difficulty swallowing after meal. Has anyone gone thru this?? Any suggestions or experiences with this. Also i feel so upset i keep thinking is the band worth keeping in?? Tomorrow I'll be 3 Weeks post OP.Thank you

It is worth keeping. Remember all the reasons you got it in the first place when you're feeling discouraged. Sounds like I'm about a week behind you and I'm trying to get used to the no drinking with meals. This place is a great place for support. I know we can do this and in the long term it WILL be worth it. One day at a time, one foot in front of the other and a year from now I bet we'll look back on this and smile ;) and help all the next year newbies along. Good luck and be gentle with yourself.

It is worth keeping. Remember all the reasons you got it in the first place when you're feeling discouraged. Sounds like I'm about a week behind you and I'm trying to get used to the no drinking with meals. This place is a great place for support. I know we can do this and in the long term it WILL be worth it. One day at a time' date=' one foot in front of the other and a year from now I bet we'll look back on this and smile ;) and help all the next year newbies along. Good luck and be gentle with yourself.[/quote']

thank you for all your encouraging words. I so need them right now. Best of luck to you as well.

I am going through this as well. I am just a couple days of being 2 weeks post op and I'm full of anxiety. I am still painful and I can't help but keep feeling I made a huge mistake. I'm mourning food so badly. I miss being able to just drop everything and have lunch with my co workers and going out to dinner with my future husband. I know why I did this but I am starting to think I would rather be over weight than be obsessed with whatever goes into my mouth. Are these feelings normal? I know everyone says one day it will be worth it but when?

We can keep in touch if you want to - I'm always looking for someone to talk to about things ;). For me, I put the scale away I really did so I won't worry too much. I figure at least until I'm in the green zone it's good enough for me to wait until the dr. tells me my weight so I don't feel too bad - plus it motivates me to be good so HE won't be unhappy with me either ;). We can do this. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

I am going through this as well. I am just a couple days of being 2 weeks post op and I'm full of anxiety. I am still painful and I can't help but keep feeling I made a huge mistake. I'm mourning food so badly. I miss being able to just drop everything and have lunch with my co workers and going out to dinner with my future husband. I know why I did this but I am starting to think I would rather be over weight than be obsessed with whatever goes into my mouth. Are these feelings normal? I know everyone says one day it will be worth it but when?

I personally think it's going to take a long time to be at the "worth it" part of it. I went back to work today and I sit so I didn't think it would be bad- man I ached when I got home. My stupid uniform pants hit right on my incisions and they were so sore too. I kept thinking UGH. And I'm so wanting to eat real food - just craving salad, veggies, things I can't yet have on mushies... but I know it's going to be worth it somehow. I have some irl friends on the other side, years out, and they have ALL lost substantial weight so I have to believe I will too. Not that easy when I haven't lost much weight at all in the last few weeks (but down 20 since pre op diet so that's something) but trying not to get discouraged. Think of the good, think of the positive, think of the future with hope. Best of luck to you.

I personally think it's going to take a long time to be at the "worth it" part of it. I went back to work today and I sit so I didn't think it would be bad- man I ached when I got home. My stupid uniform pants hit right on my incisions and they were so sore too. I kept thinking UGH. And I'm so wanting to eat real food - just craving salad' date=' veggies, things I can't yet have on mushies... but I know it's going to be worth it somehow. I have some irl friends on the other side, years out, and they have ALL lost substantial weight so I have to believe I will too. Not that easy when I haven't lost much weight at all in the last few weeks (but down 20 since pre op diet so that's something) but trying not to get discouraged. Think of the good, think of the positive, think of the future with hope. Best of luck to you.[/quote']

I know. I am at a stand still with weight too. I guess I'm just a princess and not accustom to having to weight and work so hard for what is best for me. Lol. But seriously this is so hard. Thank you for your encouraging words and best of luck to you as well. We are all in this together!

I had the worst episode of anxiety after my first meal of solid food. I thought I was stuck which could have increase the feeling of anxiety. but I had no pain but did have extreme dryness and difficulty swallowing after meal. Has anyone gone thru this?? Any suggestions or experiences with this. Also i feel so upset i keep thinking is the band worth keeping in?? Tomorrow I'll be 3 Weeks post OP.Thank you

of course its worth keeping. You just wait another month of two.... you will know exactly what we mean. ive never experienced that dryness when eating... would it hurt to have a small sip of Water then?

What a relief I'm not the only one going through this. thank you for sharing your struggles so we can learn and get encouragement from one another. I'm not mourning food but obsessed with not eating cause I'm sooooo scared of getting stuck. Am I going to choke, stop breathing, etc. all this anxiety. Am I ever going to feel normal again?

of course its worth keeping. You just wait another month of two.... you will know exactly what we mean. ive never experienced that dryness when eating... would it hurt to have a small sip of Water then?

I keep hearing no drinking before or after eating for 30 mins on this forum. But my doctor has never told me this so its another thing I'm worried about. What is the reason for no drinking while eating?

We can keep in touch if you want to - I'm always looking for someone to talk to about things ;). For me' date=' I put the scale away I really did so I won't worry too much. I figure at least until I'm in the green zone it's good enough for me to wait until the dr. tells me my weight so I don't feel too bad - plus it motivates me to be good so HE won't be unhappy with me either ;). We can do this. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.[/quote']

thank you for sharing. I would love to keep in touch and be able to talk about things with someone else who has the band. what's your email and then we can exchange numbers if you like.

I went through the same thing the first month. I felt like everything was getting stuck (it wasn't), was hyper-aware of every sensation, and afraid of my band. Still have occasional tough days but I am way more comfortable now! It will get better, trust me.

I went through the same thing the first month. I felt like everything was getting stuck (it wasn't)' date=' was hyper-aware of every sensation, and afraid of my band. Still have occasional tough days but I am way more comfortable now! It will get better, trust me.[/quote']

Thank you I sure hope so. I freaked myself out today.

Anxiety about having surgery and essentially changing your lifestyle is to be expected...even the most grounded individuals will have some reservations about making those types of sweeping changes. I know i did...

Trust me when I write that life as you have known it will resume, with a few minor exceptions. I'm only 5 months post op, but now I'm able to attend parties, go to restaurants, travel, and go sailing. Pretty much all of the activities I enjoyed before getting my band. I just make different choices on the menu, and every meal I order gets stretched into 3 meals.

For the initial month or 2, you are still adjusting to the many changes we need to make...and inherently, people do not do well with change. How we interpret the situation we are confronted with makes a huge difference in how we ultimately will adjust to our new lifestyle.

It's important to understand that the more self determination we feel in life, the healthier we will be from an emotional standpoint. Having a band is very self empowering; you and only you will determine your level of success with your weight loss journey. For some, that can be a frightening thought, because many have a fear of failure. Day to day, remaining compliant with your diet can be very challenging, but overall, we do not need to be perfect, only make the best effort every day to do the best we can to follow the rules.

People who do not need to loose weight do not have the surgery...and the reason many of us got to the point of choosing to have the band was because of our relationship with food. That has to change; food is not your friend. We must learn to eat to live, not the other way around. When you have to say goodbye to a friend, you can actually go through a grieving type process as you adjust to understanding that you can no longer seek solace from food to cope with stress or boredom.

I was fortunate to have a chance encounter with a woman who had been banded 2 years ago...she helped me to place things in a better perspective. What is more important to you, having your health and mobility or knowing that you can eat whatever you want to in whatever quantity you want to? Put into those words, discussion over...just do it!

Yes, it has been a major adjustment for me; and pre op and initial post op times are the most difficult. Gradually you do get your life back to some sense of normalcy.

My interpretation of having my band is that it is an opportunity for me to restore some of the health that my weight was stealing from me. I still feel fortunate that I was able to have my surgery, even with the complications I have experienced. Because I know what the alternatives would be...so my thoughts remain positive and I do my best every day to remain compliant, and I also accept that I am not perfect.

Get in touch with your reasons for choosing your band, and keep them at the forefront of your thoughts so you can review them when you have moments of anxiety or regret.

Best wishes...

Hang in there and take your time while you eat. Sometimes I even take a break and go back to it.