Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre Op Milk And Yoghurt Diet

Has anyone else been given this one to do? 7 to 14 days before surgery?

No, could you give more details? Greek yogurt has a lot more Protein (twice) than regular kind. What are the carb levels your allowed? There are sugar free syrups (found in the coffee isle) if you are not allowed fruit in your yogurt. You probably would need to add splendra to plain Greek yogurt since it is pretty sour.

Its either 1.1 lit of semi skimmed milk per day with two very low fat yoghurts, along with sugar free squash, Water, tea etc OR 3 slimfast shakes plus 5 mullerlight yoghurts. That's it?

FYI Slimfast is very low in Protein for the calorie count. Premier brand Protein Shakes are only 160 cals for 30 g of protein sold in the US not sure if you are in the UK or not. I checked the Muller website and they do have a low fat Greek version. I highly recommend the Greek because it is so much higher in protein. Again you can add sugar free syrups or splendra to it. I'm not a milk drinker so a Liter of milk might just kill me. Even before banding I did'nt drink milk. Digestive Bicuits that's another story! LOVE THEM.

In UK, from my very limited experience of private hospital for this procedure, there is very little focus on Protein. It's all about a good weightless before surgery to reduce liver... Will follow their instructions, am not a great milk drinker but it says in my indoor can be added to coffee....now I have read lots about avoiding coffee? ? Who knows advice is sooo different out there x

In the US there is a larger focus on Protein. One fact about Protein is that it takes longer for the body to digest protein thus a meal higher in protein will keep you from feeling hungry for a longer period. A carbs based food will spike your blood sugar and is digested faster than protein. 3 oz of chicken breast will keep you full longer than a portion of Pasta or rice.

Usually the concern with coffee is the caffeine. Caffeine is a stimulant and some say it will cause you to eat more food. My doctor does not really care about coffee as long as I drink it black with no sugar; which I do but use Splendra (fake sugar). Caffeine is also a diuretic (which will dehydrate you; so you should drink a cup of Water for every cup of coffee.

Liver reduction! Conventional wisdom in the US is to have a protein based diet to force the body to burn fat in the liver. Since the body burns carbs first, protein, then fat if you cut out the carbs it will be more likely to burn fat.

I think the milk diet is taking initio account protien. Sounds like you are going to run into Constipation issues.. ..

Slim fast offers a 20g protien shake now, and it tastes the same. Love them. Walmart carries them.

coffee is the caffeine, and goodies you put in it. Easy to rack up a hundred or so calories in one coffee.< /p>

Good luck

Every doctor seems to have a different protocol. Mine calls for NO milk products for the two weeks leading up to it.

Crazy how they are all different. Good luck with your journey!