Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had surgery June 4th and I will get fill Monday but I am able to eat normally now and gained back like 10 lb! What is wrong with me? I have such a huge addiction with food....

For what it's worth, i had my surgery on April 18, and I'm in exactly the same boat. I feel like a total failure for not being able to eat smaller portions. And I have already had two fills! I just pray that after my next fill, I see a little restriction and the band starts to help me, rather than just be there to remind me that i suck.

All that said, we're actually not failures. And we know that we're in band hell. And we know that just like right after the surgery, the band will stop us from being able to overeat. Eventually

Definitely talk to your nutritionist/surgeon. The great thing is you're both only still a few months out. Still learning. There's plenty of time to turn it around and get the results you want. I would definitely talk to a nutritionist and keep a food journal.

This is a willpower diet for now. Yes I know if I had that kind of willpower I wouldn’t be overweight!

Are you weighing your Protein? My doctor says 3 oz solid Protein. Low cal/fat protein. I eat mostly chicken breast no skin or high fat/cal sauces. If you don't weigh the food you will eat too much. Period. I am not at restriction but even before I would eat protein first and then low fat/cal/ carb veggies until full.

Beyond portions is food choices. I try to eat a 95/5% life style. Eat very conservatively 95% of the time and have a little fun the other 5%. I don't keep crackers/chips/crunchies (even low fat), rice, Pasta, potatoes, bread (oh how I miss you), candy, ice cream, jam in my house. If it's not there I can't eat it. At my Mom's birthday lunch last weekend however ALL BETS WERE OFF!

I also plan "fun" food. If I know I have a treat scheduled for Sat. I have an easier time eating healthy Mon-Fri. Example: After my workout Sat morning I go to brunch at Denny's. I have egg whites, turkey bacon (ask for it Dry so they use limited cooking fat); and wait for it...... one whole wheat pancake!

And the E word. Are you exercising? My doctor wants 30 minutes a day. I do 1.5-2.5 hours of moderate cardio 7 days a week; and am still a slow loser. Water based exercise is great for those of us who are over weight. I started out doing lap swimming (water proof MP3 player is a MUST). Water aerobics is also good. You can ask the instructor for ways to make the workout harder if the class is designed to for older patrons (I am the youngest in my class at 42).

It's way, way too soon to be calling yourself a failure. Your band isn't fully functioning yet, and it may take more than one fill for it to start doing its job. Until it starts giving you the early and prolonged satiety that will help you eat less, it's important that you monitor and control your portions, because overeating does more than make you gain weight - it can cause esophageal or stomach dilation, and even a band slip. Get out the measuring cups, spoons, and scale. Unless your surgeon or dietitian tells you otherwise, eat no more than 1 cup total at a time.

Edited to add: I hate to tell you this, but your band is not going to cure your food addiction. You're going to have to work on the emotional/mental/behavioral aspects of eating while your band works on the physical aspects.