Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Clinic/diet Pills On Top Of The Lapband

I had my lapband surgery June 22, 2011 and lost 30lbs. I had some complications the beginning of this year, couldn't keep anything down so my surgeon removed the entire 7cc of my fill. Once he determined that the band was ok and in place, we started with the fill process again. During the time my band was empty I gained at least 10lbs back so in essence I've only lost 20lbs so far. I currently have 6.5cc of fill in my band but I have not lost any more weight. It's seems like I have plateued out and can't get past this point. I really feeling like this surgery has not worked for me and want to go back to the method I was used to, the weight clinic, diet pills and B12 shots. Can I do this on top of having the lapband? I just want the weight to come off.

Any Advice???? I'm desparate!!!

Hello I was banded July 14 2010 I've only lost 40 pounds the biggest reason of such poor weight lost its my fault I didn't follow the rules eat until your full,don't drink while eating and no excersice. Before the lapband i was taking phentermine 37.5 I lost almost 40 pounds in 3 months because I was never hungry but once I stoped taking phentermine I gained the weigth back it's been 2 years now and I feel like a failure I have no one to blame but myself my Dr gave me a reality check and mention to me if u don't want to help yourself no one can so I'm seeing a nutritionalist she's helping me so much about a month ago I asked my Dr if it was ok to take phentermine once again while I have the band his ok with it I'm only going to take this pill for about 3 months first month I already lost 20 pounds

I personally don't really see anything wrong with taking phentermine while banded...just as long as you stay hydrated and take your Vitamins. I currently do not take phentermine - but I do have some left over from a prescription that my primary care dr gave me right before I made the decision to get lap band. I use them for what I think of as food emergencies. For instance, when it was my brother's birthday my mother had the family over to her house to have a big dinner and cake. I am a sucker for cake...I knew that I would not be able to say no. So I took 1/2 a pill to help me with will-power. Because I use my phentermine just for emergencies, I have zero tolerance built up and that 1/2 of a pill was just what I needed...I never even thought twice about the cake!

My husband and I are taking a cruise in August and I plan on bringing my phentermine to help me "say no" to all the fattening cruise ship food!

Thank you both for your response. I needed to hear that from someone because this can be a frustrating journey at times. We put our bodies through a lot when we decided to have this surgery and for me (like everyone else) it's its important that i reach my goal. I did think I would have to resort back to my old method after surgery, but if it helps I'm sure going to do it. Thanks again for your help.

If your doctor gives his ok for the Phentermine, then the choice is yours. But I it's important to ask regardless:

-Have you changed your eating habits to healthy ones? If not, it doesn't matter if you're banded or what pill you take, you're not going to lose just eating smaller meals. Your food choices must be good ones for a lifetime.

-Do you get all your Protein in daily? This is also essential to weight loss, band or pill.

-Do you stick to no more than 1 cup of food per serving? This is important being a bandster.

-Do you count calories? Some people do fine just making wise food decisions, however a lot of people need to count calories to be successful losing weight. Being as your now considering Phentermine even after being banded, I would highly recommend logging your food and counting calories so you can see exactly what you're eating and how it's effecting you. I would also recommend taking that food log to a nutritionist so they can help you make healthy changes that will promote weight loss.

I mean this with all due respect, but you say "I really feeling like this surgery has not worked for me and want to go back to the method I was used to, the weight clinic, diet pills and B12 shots" Obviously that way didn't work to lose weight and keep it off forever or you wouldn't have gotten banded to begin with.

The band is a tool, not a magic cure. Unless you do the work and make healthy changes to your eating habits for a lifetime you won't lose weight. You may lose a bit with Phentermine, but you can't stay on it forever, and as soon as you stop you'll likely gain it all back unless you make you healthy changes to your eating habit for a lifetime. So really, it doesn't matter what you do, the change and work has to be done by you, not your band or a pill.

Best wishes.

Thanks for your support and yes you are right. I do have to make a mental adjustment. Not only do I work full time, I'm also a full-time student. Usually during the school year is when I get off track with my eating and excersice habits. With staying up and studying late, I have a tendacy to eat whatever I get my hands on just to stay away to finish homework. I'm on summer break now and plan to refocus on my eating and excerise habits. One thing for sure I'm not going to give up, no matter how many times I fall.

oops i meant "just to stay awake to finish homework"