Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying Not To Beat Myself Up Too Bad...

Flat out... I feel like I've blown it already and I haven't even had surgery yet. :(

I've followed the Atkins diet to the letter for a week... I've been eating small amounts of the stuff I'm not supposed to have the past few days. I didn't eat any breads, pastas, starches, rice, etc. The past few days, I've had moderate amounts of carbs. Like a sandwich here or there but no starches.

I quit my job last week. I'm not upset about it (I think). I was in a very stressful work environment and to be honest, I'm happier now that I'm not there. I have been looking for another job and trying to stay busy so I don't get overwhelmed with the feeling of loss.

I have not been working out every day like I wanted to. I'm fearful of going to the gym or just going for a walk. I have no excuse for not doing something. Of course, I could just be trying to be too perfect and I'm blowing the little things out of proportion. I'm pretty fit for my size. It's like I have a "fat suit" on over my muscles. I don't mind exercise but just have a hard time going to "the gym". Always feel like I'm being judged by all the fit people there. *sigh* I just have to get over that.

I get banded Thursday. I'm nervous about the surgery. I'm worried that it won't work compared to all the other methods I've done (that didn't work either). I know that once I lose some weight I'll be more motivated to exercise.

I don't know what to say now... :(

Any words of wisdom and support are appreciated. :)

Hang in there, you've got alot of support here !!! You act like you've done something horrible by eating a sandwich or 2. Not so, you're only human and everybodys probably cheated some too. Quit worrying about what other people think or dont think of you. They're too busy working out to worry about you for more than a second anyway. I take a swim class 3x weekly with people of all shapes and sizes , small to quite large. Who cares ?? Some sort of exercise will get your endorphins going, and as you lose weight you'll feel like exercising more because your clothes will start falling off and you'll be loosing weight. Isnt that why you got banded in the first place ? It DOES work if you follow the Drs rules 95% of the time. ( Make good food choices, take small bites and chew well, exercise 3x minium a week, get fills as needed. ) Good luck !

First, take a deep breath. You're going through a lot of changes right now, not only getting banded on Thursday but quitting your job too. That's a lot to deal with.

As for the pre op diet, just get back on track now and leave the last couple days in the past. You made a mistake, you know it, but there's no sense on dwelling on it. The pre op diet is specifically to shrink your liver before surgery. This is important because obese people typically have fatty livers, and if the liver is enlarged, it increases the risk of damage to it when the doctor is trying to operate around it. The good news is, the liver is also one of the first places to lose weight, hence why the preop diets are often brief. So, get strict with your pre op diet again.

The thing about the band is, you have to remember it's a tool, not a miracle cure for fat. You still have to change your eating habits for a lifetime. The band can help you to feel satisfied with less food and not be hungry for longer periods of time, but it can't make you eat healthy foods. At the end of the day, it's you that must do the work, not the band. The band is just there to help you do your work. If you are committed to changing your lifestyle and eating habits to healthier ones and doing what is necessary to lose weight with the band, you will be successful.

Hang in there and try to focus on all the positives in your life. Getting banded is definitely one :)

Best wishes to you, you can do this!