Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all. I had the Realize Band put it on 6/13 and have now lost approximately 17 lbs. A friend of a friend, who had bariartric surgery turned me on to obesity.com and that's how I found this website.

I am rapidly approaching 60 years of age and could not take the weight off myself. I have probably gained and lost the weight of two people before this surgery, and this will be my last.

My doc is very nice, but there is not a lot of communication so I find corresponding with people and reading these topics very helpful.

I do have some questions for all of you out there:

1) When can you begin a regular exercise program, like Curves (this worked for me before, so I want to try it again)

2) When can you start to introduce fresh fruit and leafy greens into the diet? I'm allowed to begin eating regular food again this week, but the diet plan excludes fresh fruit and leafy greens and I have no idea why.

3) Can you ever have wine or other alcoholic beverages?

4) Do all doctors prohibity the consumption of fluids for an hour before meals and an hour after meals? Why is this?

Thanks for all your postings and keep your fingers crossed that I am able to make the long journey with all of you.

Hello all. I had the Realize Band put it on 6/13 and have now lost approximately 17 lbs. A friend of a friend, who had bariartric surgery turned me on to obesity.com and that's how I found this website.

I am rapidly approaching 60 years of age and could not take the weight off myself. I have probably gained and lost the weight of two people before this surgery, and this will be my last.

My doc is very nice, but there is not a lot of communication so I find corresponding with people and reading these topics very helpful.

Have you asked your surgeon or dietitian these questions and just didn't get an answer? They're really basic questions that they should already have addressed in some detail. Nice doesn't cut it if you're not getting the professional medical attention that you and/or your insurance company paid for. Anyway, I will try to answer your questions but first must remind you that I am not a medical professional, and as far as I can tell, neither is anyone else posting on this site.

I do have some questions for all of you out there:

1) When can you begin a regular exercise program, like Curves (this worked for me before, so I want to try it again) I was told walking only til 6 weeks after surgery,

2) When can you start to introduce fresh fruit and leafy greens into the diet? I'm allowed to begin eating regular food again this week, but the diet plan excludes fresh fruit and leafy greens and I have no idea why. Possibly because they don't think you should be eating that stuff yet, and/or because they want you to concentrate on consuming enough Protein (at least 70 grams a day). I was allowed to eat fresh fruit, leafy greens, and raw veggies starting my 5th week post-op. I just suggest that you use caution when you try that kind of stuff. If it gives you a problem, wait another week or 2 before trying it again.

3) Can you ever have wine or other alcoholic beverages? My surgeon said no alcohol for 6 months. My personal opinion is that it's a waste of calories. liquid calories, no matter how healthy, will not give you the satiety that solid food does. Alcohol also loosens your inhibitions and makes eating something stupid seem like a great idea.

4) Do all doctors prohibity the consumption of fluids for an hour before meals and an hour after meals? Why is this? Many doctors put some kind of limits on fluids before/during/after eating. The theory is that the fluids turn food into a slurry that moves through your upper stomach pouch too quickly to provide satiety. My personal experience was that I was OK if I drank right up until I started a meal, but if I drank during or immediately after a meal, the liquid (and often the food) would come right back up again. Not a pretty sight.

Thanks for all your postings and keep your fingers crossed that I am able to make the long journey with all of you.

#1. I agree, around 6 weeks.

#2. Regarding the fruit. Fruit is high in carbs and most diet plans want you to keep your carb intake fairly low. Also, many fruits are very fibrous and can cause a blockage(stuck episode) and that's not something you want so early in your recovery.

#3. Jean's right again. Worthless calories. I've allowed myself one beer or one glass of wine per week. Sometimes none and sometimes two. I've found I really don't miss alcohol as well as many other foods.

#4. Most doctors and nutritionists do recommend no fluids up to 15 minutes before and 60 minutes after a meal. I have to say I don't follow this rule and I'll tell you why below. I drink right up to a meal. Sometimes, if I'm excessively tight, I need the liquid to help my meal pass through my stoma(not often). I will also drink right after a meal but only if I have satiated my appetite. But, you should follow your doctors advice.

Now my caveat. As we all travel down our own paths with our bands, we all find ways to make it work(or not) with our bodies. In the beginning I followed the rules as closely as anyone. But as we became familiar with each other(me and my she-band) I've made some adjustments that work for my band and also aid my weight loss journey. Such as drinking during or after a meal. I found that sometimes I had to drink just so I could consume enough of my food to keep up my nutrition levels. I've never drank fluids just so I could eat more food. I'm the one in control over this element of my weight loss plan.

You are not here yet. And it takes time to get to the green zone and understand how your body communicates with your band. For some, it's 3 months and others, years. So be patient and follow the rules till you have some experience under your belt.

tmf

#1. I agree, around 6 weeks.

#2. Regarding the fruit. Fruit is high in carbs and most diet plans want you to keep your carb intake fairly low. Also, many fruits are very fibrous and can cause a blockage(stuck episode) and that's not something you want so early in your recovery.

#3. Jean's right again. Worthless calories. I've allowed myself one beer or one glass of wine per week. Sometimes none and sometimes two. I've found I really don't miss alcohol as well as many other foods.

#4. Most doctors and nutritionists do recommend no fluids up to 15 minutes before and 60 minutes after a meal. I have to say I don't follow this rule and I'll tell you why below. I drink right up to a meal. Sometimes, if I'm excessively tight, I need the liquid to help my meal pass through my stoma(not often). I will also drink right after a meal but only if I have satiated my appetite. But, you should follow your doctors advice.

Now my caveat. As we all travel down our own paths with our bands, we all find ways to make it work(or not) with our bodies. In the beginning I followed the rules as closely as anyone. But as we became familiar with each other(me and my she-band) I've made some adjustments that work for my band and also aid my weight loss journey. Such as drinking during or after a meal. I found that sometimes I had to drink just so I could consume enough of my food to keep up my nutrition levels. I've never drank fluids just so I could eat more food. I'm the one in control over this element of my weight loss plan.

You are not here yet. And it takes time to get to the green zone and understand how your body communicates with your band. For some, it's 3 months and others, years. So be patient and follow the rules till you have some experience under your belt.

tmf

I agree with what tmf has stated. What works for me is being my own expert with my band, what works for me may not work for others but in general if you follow the rules till u become your own expert then normally u cant go wrong :) good luck !

It is very difficult to get in touch with the nurses at my surgeons office. They are very nice, and knowledgeable, but sound so harried, I hate to bother them for questions that don’t seem important in the grand scheme of things. But since you folks seem to think it is important, I have my second call into them now.

In my lifetime, I have found that very often people going through a physical experience have good or better information than the medical professionals. I realize that everyone’s body is different, but it seems that the medical professionals are all over the map. A woman I spoke to locally who had the same program said she was told she could have “hard” starches (things that crunch, like triscuits) at 4 weeks out. I was told no breads rice or Pasta because they swell.

I know that the fruit is high in carbs, but I really need some Fiber in my diet. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for the answers to all my questions.

That yogurt stuff Jamie Lee Jones pushes is high in Fiber. There are also other altenatives such as metamucil and some other natural fiber additives. But if it's food you seek, you should be close to eating any type of steamed/nuked vegetable available? Broccoli, carrots, aparagus, celery. Mix some bran flakes or grape nuts with some yogurt and let it soak for a few minutes. Cooked spinach might be acceptable too?

You're going to experiment with foods anyway. I know there are many here who cannot eat salads of any kind, or carrots, or lettuce. I started off about 3-4 months into my band journey trying a bite here or there to see if my band would reject or accept a food. I found out my and liked salads but others haven't been as lucky. Your doctor is only looking out for your well being when they suggest you stay away from these foods till you know your band better. You can't afford a big vomitting session at this stage.

We've seen some newbies post here that they are stuck big time, or they are vomitting profusely because they broke the rules so soon. You need to be patient. One or three months of no fruit or salads won't kill you. But once you are 6 weeks out maybe try a bite here and there. Don't make a meal out of pineapple, oranges, apples carrots and leafy vegetables till you understand how to eat with the band.

tmf

It is very difficult to get in touch with the nurses at my surgeons office. They are very nice, and knowledgeable, but sound so harried, I hate to bother them for questions that don’t seem important in the grand scheme of things. But since you folks seem to think it is important, I have my second call into them now.

You're very kind, but it's time for you to stop worrying about how busy and harried those people are. Their job is to help you. And the info they owe is is extremely important. You just had surgery to deal with obesity. It just isn't possible to succeed at this kind of surgery without instructions about eating. If eating wasn't a problem for you, I doubt you would have needed surgery in the first place.

In my lifetime, I have found that very often people going through a physical experience have good or better information than the medical professionals. I realize that everyone’s body is different, but it seems that the medical professionals are all over the map. A woman I spoke to locally who had the same program said she was told she could have “hard” starches (things that crunch, like triscuits) at 4 weeks out. I was told no breads rice or Pasta because they swell.

While it's true that people who've actually had bariatric surgery can share useful information with you, we are not the ones who went into the operating room, made several cuts in your abdomen, and placed your band. We are not the ones who went to medical school (or got a degree in nursing or nutrition science)and trained in surgery. If your surgeon had given the information that I insist you need, you would be in a much better position to evaluate everything that other patients tell you about their own experience. Finally, you will never be able to reconcile the differences between your surgeon's instructions and anybody else's surgeon's instructions. It might be entertaining to hear about it, but as a new post-op you need to concentrate on you and your surgeon's instructions, not a thousand other patients and their surgeons. Later on, say in 9-12 months, you might be in a better position to evaluate all of that.

I know that the fruit is high in carbs, but I really need some fiber in my diet. Do you have any suggestions? cooked vegetables and whole grains (barley, bulgur, quinoa, oatmeal, etc.)

Thanks for the answers to all my questions.

Thanks for the good advice. I will learn to be patient.