Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One Last Try! Trying The Lap Band Surgery Diet, Without The Surgery! Fingers Crossed!

l

hi and welcome , i think that u may be getting some of your information mixed up a little from the rules for a bypass. The reason bandsters dont drink is normally more to do with empty calories than any physical difficulties, obviously with a lot to drink u tend not to be so rigid in your resolve to make good food choices but u have to consider that u are only young and life still needs to go on for you. We also dont really suffer from any real lack of Vitamins if u are eating a well balanced diet, whereby bypass has malabsorbtion issues the band doesnt so we do take a mutli Vitamin to support our healthier eating style and exercise regime but its not essential :)..

The success of the band will depend on you and it might well be best for you to go to a seminar and maybe get a psych evaluation regarding your suitability for the band. It wont make good choices for you and it wont control things as much as u may like .. a lot of the success will be down to you and your resolve to make the band work.

Hopefully u can lose the weight without the band but get all the information u can if u do end up needing surgery. What i would do is maybe get the information from those people who are banded and not from your mum who hasd a bypass and not a band so might give u wrong info. Maybe some of the other 'younger'; ones can respond to u and let u know about life after being banded :) good luck !

There is no diet. Just smaller portions, nutritious foods, lots of Protein foods, no junk food, exercise and drink plenty of Water. Good luck to you on your journey.

The diet my dr gave me before I had the band was basically high protein/Low Carb. 3 meals a day. I did great with it, but I knew it was not a long term thing for me. Having the band helps me make good food choices because if I dont I get sick. I can basically eat anything I want, just in MUCH smaller portions. If your insurance will cover the band, do some research, go to a seminar, and see if it is for you.

I have the band, but not restriction. I am not much of a "dieter" as I don't want to feel deprived. Stay away from carbs except for that one night a week to allow yourself to drink. Lapband diet is easy....protein Protein protein. I've lost 30 lbs so far by just doing this. I don't feel deprived bc there are alot of foods you can eat. You actually sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. Most people are not honest with themselves, and tell themselves they are ready for the surgery when they're not ready to follow everything that goes with it.

I agree with Papoose above - it's just smaller portions and nutrional choices. But without the band, I would think the smaller portions would keep me hungry all the time. It sounds like you may benefit from Weight Watchers and going to their meetings. It would keep you accountable for the weigh ins and not be so constricting on the food. And, if you exercise, you can add points you can save up for special occassions. It truly doesn't sound like you are ready to make the sacrafice needed to get the band at this time and, therefore, it may not work for you. You truly have to want it more than you want food and alcohol.

Thanks for replies everyone! I'd love to hear more, thanks for all the info and ideas!

Papoose, when I said lap band diet, I was referring to the diet a website I found online that said I should try. It was something along the lines of a high protein/low carb diet for the first few weeks, then the liquid diet, then the soft foods, as well as keep the portions down to a few ounces.I didn't know much about it so I thought I'd ask around.

As far as the food and alcohol goes, I'd be lying to say there wasn't a part of me that didn't want to go out with their friends once or twice a month, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that as long as it's in moderation. I'll only be young once. I can deal with the smaller portions and giving up the alcohol the majority of the time, but not many people my age want to sit out on everything for the next few years. Maybe this means I'm truly not ready to commit. From what someone said above though, it does sound like there is some flexability if I do choose to have a lap band done where I could have my fun every once and a while. If this is true, maybe this is something I should look into more.

You do eat much less due to restriction caused by the band. The band does not keep you feeling fuller longer, but, keeps you from getting hungry 4-6 hours in between meals. There are receptors in the stomach area that send a signal to the brain letting you know that your hunger is satisfied. Amoung other symptoms, you know you need a fill when you are getting hungry 2-4 hours in between meals.

I can testify that alcohol will put on lbs. on you quickly!!! I had not had any alcohol in 1.5 years after being banded. I recently attended a graduation party and had several mixed drinks (about 5), plus, a few high caloric foods that weekend. I gained 10 lbs. in 2 days.

I think I know what she is saying. She wants to 'try' the pre-op diet we all are on before we get banded as a 'trial' to see if she can lose weight? Am I right?

In anycase, we are on the pre-op for a reason: is to 'shrink' our liver before surgery. We will not be eatting like this for the rest of our lives. Once banded we will have what is called 'restriction' and will only be allowed to intake very small amount of foods in at a time. This is what gives ourselves the 'advantage' of loosing the weight and keeping it off.

I know you said you are only 21 and still want to hang out and party. Understandably so, I know so many people banded and still continue with their daily lives. Yes, they go out and drink, party, eat, but its relatively in 'smaller' portions and when consuming alcohol you have to be super careful because drinks can easily add up to some pretty hefty calories and are loaded with sugar. Some of those yummy summer drinks can easily be over 800 calories for just one.

Lastly, you really need to be ready to do this and have a good head on your shoulder when making this decision. Its not a miracle fix or cure, its a tool to help you lose the weight. My only advise to you because you are very young is to do more research on the lapband. go to youtube and watch the video about lapband surgery. Stay on this site and read read read.

As said by Cazzy, I think some of the 'younger' bandsters could be of more help.....

Best of luck to you in your decision :)

-Patty

Thanks for replies everyone! I'd love to hear more, thanks for all the info and ideas!

Papoose, when I said lap band diet, I was referring to the diet a website I found online that said I should try. It was something along the lines of a high protein/low carb diet for the first few weeks, then the liquid diet, then the soft foods, as well as keep the portions down to a few ounces.I didn't know much about it so I thought I'd ask around.

As far as the food and alcohol goes, I'd be lying to say there wasn't a part of me that didn't want to go out with their friends once or twice a month, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that as long as it's in moderation. I'll only be young once. I can deal with the smaller portions and giving up the alcohol the majority of the time, but not many people my age want to sit out on everything for the next few years. Maybe this means I'm truly not ready to commit. From what someone said above though, it does sound like there is some flexability if I do choose to have a lap band done where I could have my fun every once and a while. If this is true, maybe this is something I should look into more.

Yes, we do follow a high proteing/low carb diet. The liquid diet and soft foods is for right after you have your surgery. When I am out and socializing I will have a couple of glasses of wine or a drink. You just have to be careful, you may feel the alcohol faster. I could only do 1 or 2 drinks depending on what I am drinking. Plus drinking alcohol may make you start eating junk food. But everyone once and awhile is no problem, we are human. Good luck to you if you decide to go with the lapband. Just do your research and go to a Seminar to see if it is the right thing for you. For me it was. I had my surgery in Sept. 2010 and have lost 130 lbs. I have a few more pounds to reach my goal. I don't think I never would have lost it without the lapband. WW and other diets just didn't work for me. Good luck again.

I just realized I posted more than one topic. Can someone please tell me how to delete a topic I posted??? THANKS