Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why do I have a 3" large incision?

Day 13 and still am swollen and very tender. Now I have tingling, razor sharp skin pains in my large incision. Anyone else have a large incision like I do? My Dr said All went well and this is the incision where the camera, and his hand goes in to do all the work. Of course this is where I have all the muscle pain and tenderness. So far eating small meals, quite tired, but feel good.

its so nice to hear from people who have had this and know what is is, makes me feel a bit better!

I have a large incision but mine does not feel the way you've described. Most of the time I don't notice it, but it is the first to hurt. In my case, is feels like a pulling. I can definitely tell something's bugging the muscles in there, too. The skin itself is sensitive to touch, if I rub my finger on it - now for sheets or a shirt to touch it, no problem... but nothing like razor sharp pain.

maybe pins and needles is a better way to explain it. The pulled muscle pain is there along with the swelling and numbness. I guess this is part of the healing process.

Hi,

I too have a 2-3 inch incision and it's where it hurts the most. I can't touch it either and from time to time definitely feel prickling in that area. You're only on day 13, so healing is going to take awhile yet. I'm on day 20 and I still am tender and sore. My doctor told me that's also where my port is.

Yeppers, the big one takes the longest to heal. Makes sense though, as there was more "damage" done to the muscles there. I'm at 9wks now and my largest incision still gets tender. Now if you start seeing redness, abnormal swelling, or dripping from the incision, get to your doctor right away. You don't want to let an infection set in. Otherwise, it's quite normal to be sensative in this area.

Be sure to get your 60 grams of Protein (or more). This will promote healing of the muscles and help prevent infection.

Sunta - it's so good to see you feeling more comfortable with things and giving comforting advice to others! Sorry to interrupt the thread, but I just had to say that. :) *hugs*

my largest incision in dry, looks good and clear, but the swelling on my right side.....oh boy, it reminds me of a conehead just on my right side! Tender to the touch!

Abnormal swelling, um.. very red, puffy, irritated looking around the incision.

When I got home from surgery, I looked pregnant for about three weeks. The gas used to inflate your abdominal area for surgery, coupled with the cuts through your skin and muscle tissue along with the instruments used during surgery... its normal to be all swollen up.

Conehead eh? *laughs* I'm guessing that's where your port is. Mine is just to the right of the large incision. Do you know where yours is?

no they said mine is at the small incision to the left of my belly button, the large one was the main working incision where dr put his hand in and the camera! Im on mushies now and its amazing to eat only a few bites of tuna and be full, such a great feeling. My small incisions are all good, except one that has a larger scab that gets soft and falls off, dr said it will heal just let it alone. He pressed my belly to check for Fluid and didnt find any so the swelling must be from the cutting and trauma itself. Im back at work today and just went for a slow walk around the building, its feels so tight (inside muscles of Large incision)

If your doctor has checked you, then you're probably just fine. The swelling will go down over time.

It is great to be able to eat a small amount and be satisfied, isn't it? Oh the joy! :)

The gas used to inflate your abdominal area for surgery
This struck a chord with me! :) I didn't have pain from the gas they use - no nausea, nothing. The only sign they had puffed me up came from my incisions, actually. They were stapled, and then covered with clear plastic adhesive, almost like a strip of thick tape. My first day post-op when I went to look at them and make sure all was well, the tape right over the incisions was "inflated" about 1/2" from my skin. WTF?!? Took me a few seconds to realize what it was, but gave me a nice scare until then. :)

it is a great feeling to eat so less, granted this will change since im only on day 13. But just the little bit of food and im stuffed!

Yup, I always use my large incision as a way to locate my port. I know the port is a couple inches below it. For me, that one hurts a lot less than the others...I have one to the side that still pangs me. I'll be sitting at my desk working then ZOWIE. My surgeon said it's nothing to fret about but dang, it bugs me!!