Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Powerseed and PBing

OK, not sure if you know this (or would guess), but even with my Band completely unfilled, I can still PB. Chunks of meat or eating a sandwich too fast are usually what cause it... and for some reason, airline food. (Go figure.)

Anyway, as I'm preparing to be refilled (I hope soon!), I've been working with this little device called a powerseed to help me slow down, chew more.... and basically get back into a Bandster mindset.

It really works! Even without a fill, if I'm honest, I find myself stoping sooner... definitely eating slower... and just being more tuned into myself and my hunger. (It's a small little device that beeps/flashes a light every few minutes.)

So, I thought I'd recommend it to anybody who has PBing issues. Back when I was filled, I probably PBed at least once a week... I'm sure this would have helped.

It has two modes... one with flashing light only (it's very small... I doubt anybody dining with you would notice)... and one with beep/light. When I'm alone, I usually go for beep & light, light only when with others.

It doesn't annoy me at all. My biggest problem is consciously ignoring it... days/meals when I really don't want to eat slowly, or stop when full. It's a me thing, not a powerseed thing. i don't use it every meal, although i did at one time. Now i tend to use it maybe a few times per week... or when I know i'm in a sort-of binge mode, I'll pull it out. I think if I ever get my new fill, I'll use it for at least a few months for every meal so i can get back into bandster mode... and also when dining out. It's such a pain to run to the bathroom for a pb... or be sitting there, waiting to pb... trying to get things unstuck... drinking Water....whatever.

What will they think of next? By the way, if you're pb'n chunks, you're taking way too big a bites. I've been overfilled before and if you're already having problems unfilled, I'd think twice about the fill.

Someone on here the other day was asking about some type of "timer". This must have been what they meant. It sounds like it could really help. I haven't had my surgery yet, but have jotted down the info to order one.

I want to check and see of there are any on Ebay. 50 bucks seems a little steep but I suppose if it helps then it's worth it.

50 bucks seems a little steep

That's what I was thinking. Surely there's a cheaper version of this kind of thing.. somewhere, wouldn't ya think?

HarleyNana... I'll try and read your post in a positive way... but please, no advice on my bite size. I've been unfilled for three years... and was just letting people know that with no fill, one can still PB. (After three years of no fill, it's very easy to completely forget about the Band!) It's rare... has happened maybe 4 or 5 times in the past three years... but I thought some may be interested to no this as I feel zero restriction every other day. I wasn't looking for "how not to PB" advice, bite size info, etc. As somebody who has had a Band for 5 years, researched the Band for two years prior to getting one, and chose to leave the country to get a non-FDA approved medical device inserted in my body... I'm pretty well informed on those matters.

Yeah, $50 is expensive. Not sure what luck you'll have on eBay, as the company has a liberal return policy. I first read about them in Self a few months ago. You could buy a kitchen timer that counts up/down and just monitor it yourself... every few minutes... whatever... but for me, this is a lot easier (and less obtrusive.)

I think I will order one. I'm not banded yet but I think it would be good for me to work on the slower eating in preparation for the band. I have alredy been working on mucho chewing. Now that I really am focusing on it, I notice I tend to swallow huge chunks of food. Not good.

ps. I was thinking about PBing. Once in a great while if I am wolfing down tortilla chips, I'll get one that goes down barely crunched and sideways. It feels like it scrapes the whole way down and absolutely SUCKS! The pain is the worst! Is that what a PB feels like?

WOoo! I think I will too! I was just browsing the site, and saw that you could order one (minus instructions and documentation) for $35 instead of $50. I imagine it's pretty easy to figure out, and while I'm sure the documentation is good and all, I'm willing to sacrifice some motivational materials to save fifteen bucks. Thanks for posting this. :)

Fab, thank you so much for not jumping down my throat and addressing what I said in such a kind way. In no way did I mean to judge you, obv, I didn't read your sig line :embarassed: correctly, so my apology to ya.

It's just that I'm so guilty of those big bites, not properly chewing, and eating too much at one setting, which makes me think I may need a fill, BUT, I pb at least every other day as it is. So, I've either got to practice what I preach and get a fill and hope I don't have to go for another unfill, which would really "blow", because I'm self pay and now I have to pay for office visits, fills and UNFILLS.

Hugs and again, thanks for the way ya let me know I miss-read ya.:speechles

harleynana:

i apologize. shouldn't have done that... it was wrong. should have waited to reply until this morning when i was more rested, less frazzled.

that's cool that you can order it for only $35.00. if you do run into problems, let me know and i'll try and help. i don't remember there being anything really complicated about setting it up, etc. but i haven't had to do anything to it since i first set it up. i think you just pushed and held the main button for a few seconds.. but it's been a few months, so i don't really remember.