Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My band surgery is tomorrow

I've never been on one of these support sites as a user. I have been reading some of your threads while I've been deciding about my surgery. I just got word last week that my insurance was appoved and will receive my band tomorrow. I know I'm going to be looking for support since eating is my favorite thing to do. I'm not really nervous about the procedure itself, I'm more worried about how to live afterwards. I'm 48 and I've been severely obese for most of my adult life. I gave up drinking 19 years ago and substituted food. I had always fought my weight before but managed to stay within 30 or 40 pounds of my ideal weight. Now I'm 110 pounds overweight. I don't have many health problems yet so it was hard to decide about the band. I finally decided I should do it before I have a lot of health issues. I'm married for 23 years and I have 2 girls still at home ages 19 and 22. That's enough for now. I feel like I'm making this too long.

Welcome and congrats!! I, too, am going to be banded tomorrow. If, when you need us, we will be here! This is a great group of folks!!

Isn't it strange how we find "food" to escape the things we have to or need to give up. In my case it was smoking. As a smoker I was thin......but I had open heart surgery, had my cigarettes taken away overnight, and thought I was doing great, but I turned to food without even realizing until I started gaining that I was on my own path to destruction. Then is the time I needed some form of intervention, but I'm not sure I was ready to accept it. I thoroughly enjoyed smoking and I was angry at the people that had taken it away from me. I'm sure giving up drinking is equally as hard and you found a substitute in food. Why couldn't we have taken up going to the gym or something :) Best of luck, you will do wonderfully. It is normal to be a little fearful. I know that I am. Let us know how you are doing.

Welcome to LBT, Kat!

That makes three of you (that I know of) who will be banded tomorrow! Best wishes to you all for a speedy recovery. I can hardly wait to hear the excitement in your posts when you start losing weight!

ya'll dont forget about Leenerbups. she is slated to arrive at her surgery center in the morning at 5:30. i have chatted off and on with her this weekend, but i haven't seen her on here tonite. if you see her, wish her luck. she is really special!!

and thanks to all of you wishing us well!! you all have been great!

Hey mini me,

Dr. Spivak is doing my surgery tomorrow too! I have to arrive at the Surgery Center at 7:00, I'm scheduled for 8:00. Good luck.

hey kat!! How did i miss this post??!! i cannot believe i missed an opportunity to meet you!! so where were you sitting in the step up room? i was the last one to get there.

hope your recovery is progressing nicely!!

my surgery morning weight was 203.8, it was 208.8 when i got out of surgery(at home), and today it is 199. i am trying to figure out a way to get my calorie intake up, but it is harder than i thought. i am sending dh to the store today to get me some goodies that i think might help.

any suggestions?

hey congrats on the band, and hope you have a great recovery!

I can hardly wait for my band, I have been big all my life. The doc asked me when I last saw my Ideal weight. I said at birth and he laughed. I am looking forward to this and hope to hear from the doc soon as to when I am able to receive my band......Hang in there everyone and look forward to your support because you have mine......................

Welcome to LBT Kat & grats on the band (yeah, lol, I'm behind).

Let us know how you're doing!!

Welllllll, today is Thursday and I was banded on Monday. Today is the first day I have really felt half-way like myself again. The biggest problem I've had has been the gas pains. That is finally getting better. I haven't had any pain meds since yesterday afternoon and I think that is part of what's helping me feel better (less fuzzy). I have been having trouble getting myself to take in nourishment of any kind. I think I might be afraid of getting too much. Today I'm going to start on Protein Shakes. I'm dying for a steak buy I know I have to let that go. Anyway, Roni I was on the end in the step-up room also. I had on a red shirt and my hubby was with me. He has a gray beard. The person right across from me had on a dress. Was that you? I'm glad you're doing o.k. I'm trying to figure out what my meal plan should be when I go back to work next week. I have to be there at 7:30 and I only have 25 minutes for lunch at 12:30. Since I'm a teacher I don't have any other breaks until 2:30. I'm leaning towards some kind of canned Protein Drink. Anybody have any suggestions?