Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Camping On Weekends, Help With Food Ideas?

Hey everybody!

I have a recent issue that I've come across. My husband and I go to our country property on the weekends where there is only a grill, and on occassion we're able to use the the propane fueled stovetop. There is no refrigeration or freezer, we use a cooler.

My doc has me on the South Beach diet, I am on phase one where the food choices are very limited, for two weeks. Then it's phase two for two weeks. Phase one is all Protein, all vegetables and no carbs. The objective is to kick the carb addiction, if that can happen.

Asside from grilling fresh vegetables, I don't know what to eat! I have to eat 3 meals and 2-3 Snacks. I'm brining a can of crabmeat, blackbean burgers, extra lean burgers and a bunch of vegetables. Being a convenience food user, I am at a loss as to what to bring on the weekends.

Can you help me think of meal ideas (protein, veg, no starch) and snack ideas that will fir in the confines of the grill, cooler and stovetop? I can think of LOTS of snack ideas :P but I can't have them!!! :angry:

My Snacks for camping were, beef Jerky & cracklins. Not nutritious but at least carb free.

Can you pre-grill spome chicken strips for the cooler? I am not familiar with South Beach diet, but some other ideas that don't take too much cooler space (I freeze items before putting them in the cooler): string cheese, greek yogurt cups, boiled eggs, a plain hamburger patty should work (?)

GOod luck!

I would make tuna your friend if u can, mix with some lemon juice and black pepper or some 0 fat mayo with salad .also minced turkey burgers anuything that u can lightly grill so it doesnt dry out, also i know some people eat tinned chicken ? we dont get that in the uk so not sure on that one, premade shakes maybe or Protein Bars, some almonds will help the snacking .. some ham too if u can cut thin or buy some thin ham i eat smoked salmon for Protein as i love it :)

Oh, you people are wonderful! :D But you already know that I'm sure! ;)

kmt, what's a cracklin? Jerky sounds like a great idea, but costly. I've heard of these jerky's...beef, turkey, alligator, bison and I think ham. But I'll be sticking to the beef, turkey and ham. :P

pollyanna, wonderful ideas...btw, nice name! My name is Polly! Not short for anything, just Polly. I hated it as a kid cuz I got picked on a lot...Polly wanna cracker? Ah! But now I'm proud of my name, never met another Polly, until now. :rolleyes:

cazzy, tuna mixed with lemon??? Hm, gotta think about that one. I forgot about Protein bars! Yes, I think we get chicken in a can here. I bought some smoked almonds, yum! Ham, good idea, I can roll it up with a slice of ff cheese and lettuce. Thanks! :D

You guys really helped me out with your idea's and made me think of some more. Thank you so very much, my stomach and shaky hands (barely ate yesterday and today) thank you. Hell, my Dr. thanks you!

If anyone else has more idea's, well fess up! :)

If you ok with multigrain wraps you can do tuna salad, chicken salad, grill steaks, bison burgers, take string cheese, cottage cheese, canned black Beans.< /p>

You could probably premake chili or some of the gals on here use canned and heat that up.

The grilled and sliced chicken is a good bet, or even fresh deli meats that you can roll up and eat or have it cut a bit thicker.

If you can take milk, make Protein shakes... or find a good canned one over the counter for a pick me up. You could probably make a pretty good salad, if you can take lettuce and black beans with some meat mixed in, then toss it, Hard boiled eggs, turkey sausage/to grill. Just some thoughts.

tuna comes in a package with enough moisture, you don't have to add anything. I usually cut up a pickle in it. Also, tuna salad and chicken salad comes in little cans. I buy those little six packs of peanuts. You can put them in your pocket when you go on hikes. Cracklins, not sure I want to describe it, it will probably gross you out ;) It is fried out pork skins, they are very hard and tasty, I know, I know gross right. But hey, I'm from Alabama, what do you expect :D Share your new ideas!

tuna comes in a package with enough moisture, you don't have to add anything. I usually cut up a pickle in it. Also, tuna salad and chicken salad comes in little cans. I buy those little six packs of peanuts. You can put them in your pocket when you go on hikes. Cracklins, not sure I want to describe it, it will probably gross you out ;) It is fried out pork skins, they are very hard and tasty, I know, I know gross right. But hey, I'm from Alabama, what do you expect :D Share your new ideas!

We have something up here in NYS that's called "pork rinds", is that the same thing? They're pig skins deep fried. They're light and crunchy. You can get plain or BBQ, but I used to eat plain with hot sauce. But no more. However, the dog loves them! Could this be the same thing?