Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Differance Between Lap Band And Lap Band W/pllictation

I am curious what the sufferance is?

Difference I meant lol

this is the surgery that i had done. here is some info on it:

(keep in mind that all surgery is at risk for complications and it is best to discuss with your surgeon if this is right for you. And also make sure this is for you by researching and asking questions).

Banded Gastric Plication: Best of both worlds

The gastric band and the gastric plication weight loss surgery procedures are less invasive and possibly safer than other bariatric procedures currently available. In both cases, however, there effectiveness is somewhat diminished because they are not as invasive. There is a growing consensus that by combining these two procedures bariatric surgery patients may get the best of both worlds. Each of the procedures individually may yield over 50% excess body weight loss (EBWL), however combined, there is the belief that EBWL may reach or exceed 75%, similar to that of the much more invasive gastric bypass.

Stomach-300x300.jpg

Original Stomach Shape and Size

The procedure will begin with a gastric plication to initiate weight loss. The surgery, combined with diet and exercise, will yield excellent excess body weight loss within the first several months after surgery. The band will also be implanted during surgery, however adjustments will not be made until the patient’s weight loss begins to slow (about 8 months to a year after surgery). This means that many of the complications associated with band adjustments, like infection at the injection port and port flippage, will be decreased. It also means that fewer adjustments and follow-up will be needed in the first year after surgery.

A recent study by Huang, et al. showed promising results when combining these two procedures and there is ample evidence that the combination will yield additional weight loss compared to each procedure individually. Of course, longer term follow-up and clinical data is yet to be evaluated.

Stomach-lap-band-300x300.jpg

Lap-Band Placement

Banded-Plication-300x3001.jpg

Gastric Band and Gastric Plication Combined

Advantages of Banded Plication

• Possible additional excess body weight loss vs. each procedure alone.
  • Reduction of complications associated with band adjustments and fills.
  • No cutting of the stomach or rerouting of the intestine.
  • Fewer adjustments needed in the first year after surgery.
  • Less risk of the gastric band slipping or eroding (resulting in additional surgery).
  • Encouraging obesity related disease resolution rates.

Considerations of Banded Plication

• Band over Plication is still major surgery that comes with inherent risk.
  • There is very little long-term data to support the effectiveness of the procedure.
  • A medical device (Lap-Band® or Realize® Band) will be implanted in the abdomen.
  • Risks associated with gastric banding, while reduced, are still possible.
  • This procedure may not be covered by public or private insurance.

About Gastric Plication

The gastric plication procedure is a new form of bariatric surgery that offers the restrictive properties of the gastric band or gastric sleeve, but in preliminary data, is showing fewer potential complications. Gastric plication does not require rerouting the small intestine, implanting a medical device or removing any gastric tissue. The procedure works by folding the stomach in on itself by suturing or clipping, creating a much smaller vertical gastric pouch. This procedure is very similar to the gastric sleeve without the resection of the stomach.

About the Gastric Band

Gastric banding also known by its trade names Lap-Band® and Realize Band®works by restricting the amount of food that can enter the stomach at any one sitting without any cutting of the stomach or small intestine. The surgeon places the band around the upper portion of the stomach and tightens it to form two connected stomach chambers. The smaller, upper gastric pouch becomes the primary receptacle for the food being consumed, making the patient feel fuller, sooner and stay fuller longer.