Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Surgery Weight Loss

Does anyone else here need to lose weight before their surgery date will be set? I need to lose about 15 lbs before my hospital will submit my paperwork to my insurance. Having a VERY difficult time with it.

Some people have to lose a certain percent, I luckily did not. I did go on a low fat/low calorie diet about a month prior and lost about 15 pounds.

Most everyone has to go on some type of liver shrink diet before the surgery, so maybe that is what they are having you do. Every surgeon is different in their approach to this, some require a percent loss, some strictly liquids, some low carb, etc. The main thing is to shrink the liver so that it will make it easier to complete your surgery successfully.

Good luck!!

I was told to lose between 40-50 pounds before surgery. Every surgeon is different, and as you can see I did not make it to that. When I saw him my last visit, he said just keep trying 'harder'. I have another month, and I am not stressing over it honestly, his partner who will be assisting him said i am doing fantastic on my weight loss so far. Go figure!!

I was told to lose between 20 & 40 lbs!! My surgery won't be for another 5 months because I have to finish my PCP weight management visits but so far I'm down 17lbs I just started eating smaller portions and exercising and my dr gave me an appetite suppressant to take and it's helped! It's been hard but I really, really, Really want this surgery and to lose weight!! It's hard but you can do it!! Good luck :)

Sent from my iPhone weight.png

Does anyone else here need to lose weight before their surgery date will be set? I need to lose about 15 lbs before my hospital will submit my paperwork to my insurance. Having a VERY difficult time with it.

Yes, I had just returned from a family cruise the second week of January to have a letter waiting for me with my pre- op appointment, and the specific "number" on the scale I had to be under in order to have my surgery scheduled. That just after the holidays...I went into a panic mode. I had less than 3 weeks to loose 6 pounds.

I became more strict with portions, and walked several miles a day with the intentionally fast paced music on my iPod. Because my surgery had to be postponed for over a year, I was determined not to fail.

I ended up loosing 10 pounds, just in case the scale at the doctor's office and mine at home were not in sync.

The motivation helps so much...it becomes a driving force for success.

Best wishes to you as you begin your journey...

i was put on a diet while i did all my pre-op testing and such. when i was strict with it, i lost pretty quickly. i'm now on all liquids for 2 weeks because i'm having surgery on monday. i've lost 19 pounds. here's the diet in case you want... its strict and hard but it works!

1 shake for a meal (the shake should be low in carb and high in protein) like the atikins one... or muscle milk light)

2 meals

daily:

20-30 g of fat

30-50 g of carbs

70+ g of Protein

those include the shake and everything.

i use myfitnesspal.com to calculate the totals.

it works and it also helps in shrinking your liver for the surgery (which you need to do). hope this helps!

sylvia