Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

M having my surgery next month and I have a few special occasions while I'll still be on mushies. I'm trying to plan what I can have in advance so I'm prepared and can make good choices.

I know that some people have trouble with prawns / shrimp but are mussels and oysters ok? The oysters would be raw and the mussels cooked in a Tomato sauce which has no cream and is low salt. Both are very high in Protein but I'm not sure if they are "mushy" enough or if an oyster is likely to just cause a blockage.

If anyone has any idea about what seafood would be acceptable for week 2 or 3 post surgery, your insite would be most appreciated.

Mussels and similar foods do not masticate well. It's very difficult to grind them up into mush. If you eat them one at a time with no bread you may be alright but why take the chance? Follow your doctor's advice and stick to true mushies. I'm in the green zone and we had clams last night. I made sure I ate one at a time and they slid down OK but you will still be in the healing phase and irritating your band area is not a good idea.

tmf

No those would be solids. Oysters you swallow whole which I think could be a disaster even without restriction. If they had crabcake that you could mush up with a fork that might work. You may need to bring your own food in a discrete container. If you are at a table with people who don't know about the lap bad; say you had hietal hernia surgery and you are on a restricted diet.

I have found there are going to be times in my life that I can not eat what everyone else is eating. And at times I have eaten what they are eating like a $45.00 dinner that I promptly threw up 3 times in the resturaunt bathroom and then was on liquids for three days waiting for the swelling that the vomiting caused to go down. I can very rarely eat shrimp deep fried is easiest, mussels and oysters are no no...

This is your life now you can follow the diet that they gave you or you can eat things not on the plan and take the chance of getting stuck or letting it slide down and gain weight. No food at this event will taste good an hour later, but losing weight will feel wonderful forever. Good Luck...

Mushies can be described as something that u can mash up with a fork, i suggest that maybe u get a good amount of your Protein in those days for Breakfast and just concentrate on eating something during the day . sea food cannot be described as mushies a soft fish with a small amount of mash potatoe u could get away with but the seafood that is from any shell is mainly muscle so will be tough :)

I had a party 17 days after my surgery. I tried a whole shrimp and it really didn't go down well so I cut the shrimp into 3 pieces and it was fine! Just make sure to chew well. U can mush anything in ur mouth if u chew it enough but I'm not recommending that :)

Thanks guys, still haven't got all the do's and don'ts yet from the surgeon yet so this is really helping. It's good to hear what others have trouble with so I can avoid it with my band. I just hadn't read anything about the shellfish so I wasn't sure. I think the safest thing to do while I'm out in those early weeks would be to stick to Soups maybe. I don't want to end up in the bathroom all night, particularly when they don't know I'll have the band. God forbid they think I'm pregnant 