Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When Does Restriction Actually Start?

Hi all,

My question is really quite simple but no one can seem to answer so I'm turning to all of you. I'm 4 weeeks post op. The question is: Is there any restriction when you don't yet have any fill? Here's my thoughts (and I don't know if it will make sense but I'm going to try and explain):

Let's say the esophogus or whatever tube it is that runs down into your stomach is 3 inches in diameter. And then you get banded. At the time of banding, does the band squeeze that tube to 2 1/2 inches or does it remain at 3 inches as it is just sitting around the tube but not yet squeezing? If it is just technically sitting around the tube, you could still eat the same amount, right? But if it's squeezing, I could understand that there'd be some restriction.

Granted, my measurements might be off. I have no idea what the diameter of the tube is but I hope you all get what I'm trying to say. At four weeks post op, I am wondering if I really do have restriction or if I have to wait to the first fill. I'm not about to test this theory because I would hate to get sick (and it's not worth it). But I really can't find the answer.

Please advise. Thanks to all in advance.

-P

I have two fills. 4.7 in a 10 band. I am too tight now In the green zone but getting sick a lot.

I've had a few fills so far. I was banded march 15th and my restriction comes the first week after a fill. Then I lose restriction, I'm hoping I hit the green zone with my fill next week.....

The band isn't around the esophagus, it's around the upper part of the stomach. The restriction is between the pouch (small part of stomach above the band) and the rest of the stomach below the band. I am not quite 5 weeks out (May 21) and feel no restriction at all. I'm scheduled for my first fill next Tuesday. I've lost some weight but it has been a big struggle - feels just like the last diet I failed on so I'm hoping the fill will help keep food in pouch longer and not feel I have to eat again within an hour or so.

The band isn't around the esophagus, it's around the upper part of the stomach. The restriction is between the pouch (small part of stomach above the band) and the rest of the stomach below the band. I am not quite 5 weeks out (May 21) and feel no restriction at all. I'm scheduled for my first fill next Tuesday. I've lost some weight but it has been a big struggle - feels just like the last diet I failed on so I'm hoping the fill will help keep food in pouch longer and not feel I have to eat again within an hour or so.

I'm glad you stepped up and explained the procedure. It's hard to imagine having had this surgery and not really knowing what was done. Sounds like the OP's doctor should explain things in much greater detail!

Anyway, I had no restriction at all until my third fill. After my fourth fill I'm at 6 cc's in a 10 cc band and considering a very small unfill.

I felt restriction at 4cc (2 fills), but everyone is different- some end up near the upper limit (ie 8cc in 10cc) before they feel it.

Once you get restriction, it's all about the decisions you make. The band won't stop you from eating things that go right on through.

Daddyof4,

Thanks for your response. Yes, I know the band is actually around the stomach but I didn't think I could accurately explain the question without trying to use a tube and diameter type approach. But anyway, I was also banded on 5/21. I'm not going to get a fill for at least another two weeks. It's a struggle for me too, especially in these early weeks. Good luck to you and hopefully the first fill will help!

I haven't received my first fill yet and I am not feeling full ever. I am liquids/mushies and I have to make myself stop eating because nothing is telling me that I am full. I can't wait for there to be restriction, it's what I paid for!