Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is This Option Right For Me?

hi so it wasnt until about 4 months ago i started thinking about the land band, someone who i know but not to well got it almost a year ago i believe we are close in body type i might be a little smaller but i also feel given my weight gain in the last 3 years ill be another 10 pounds heavier by next year. i saw her on Sunday after not seeing her for a month and she looked like she had lost another 10 pounds! i feel like its so unfair, i work out 6 days a week and lose nothing! ive been doing weight watchers a month and ive only lost 2 lbs. i had my blood work done its not my thyroid. the doctor told me to count my calories better and it was my genetics i would always have this problem with my weight. i have gained 35 pounds in 3 years, i seem like i cant control a diet strict enough to lose weight i already work out more then most people i know. the last two years of my life have been a constant battle with my weight and every day i am constantly feeling self-conscious about my body, disgusted and saddened with how i look. while on vacation 2 months ago i felt this the worst i ever have. i was so uncomfortable i didnt get to enjoy the beach the way i should have. i couldnt wear shorts nor a swim suit i was constantly trying to cover up while the other girls in family ran around in there small outfits i was sad. so here are my questions. is this right for me.

i am 31, 170ish pounds, 5'2 with a bmi of 31. the Quest for lap band grew even more stronger in the last few days when lauren manzo came out about her surgery, for the past few years i felt i related to her best we have so much in common including career. i think she would wonderful with her 30 pound loss, i would like to be 40-50 pounds lighter without the constant yoyo of weight loss and gain.

Only you can decide if this is right for you.

The "expected" weight loss of excess weight (anything above BMI 25) is about 50%. I remember seeing a thread a while back about lower BMI candidates and a good point was made about excess weight (http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/144303-bmi-27-and-considering-the-lapband-depressed/)- If you are currently at 170 and a "normal" BMI for you would be 25 at a weight of 135 on the high end, would you be satisfied with getting surgery and only permanently losing 20 or 25 pounds (which would be equivalent of the 50% of excess weight)?

I love my band and wish I would have had the option of getting it when I was only 40 or 50 pounds overweight, but it is not a magic bullet. As a lower BMI person, you would also probably take longer to lose the weight as you don't have as much to lose.

Please read through the forums and gather some more info. This gal http://www.lapbandtalk.com/user/242962-lellow/ was a low BMI bander and lost all excess plus some. You can definitely be successful!

thank you! ive been browsing around for the last day or so but with the links it will help direct me to some more of my answers and reading what others are going thru will help push me in the direction that fits me.

thanks again! :)

At your weight most insurance companies will not cover the surgery. FDA has approved lap band down to 35 BMI. So you need to be prepared that you would have to pay for this surgery out of pocket.

Question about your food habits. When I had my consult I told the therapist I was the healthiest eating fat person I knew. I tried not to eat fried foods or hamburgers. I also was doing an hour of cardio daily. What I was not recognizing was the fact that I had at least 3 open boxes of crackers/chips/rice cakes in my house at any time. Are you weighing your Protein? Traditionaly doctors say to have 4 oz of Protein per meal (with lap band it's 3 oz). If you are not measuring you are guarenteed to be over eating.

Are you eating just 3 meals a day? Many people read that they should have small Snacks through out the day. Problem is they eat enough for a meal instead of a 100 cal. snack. So in reality they are eating 5 meals a day. Who would'nt gain weight eating like that.

Not sure if you are eating WW foods? They usually are really high in carbs with really low levels of protein. I used to diet (and was very successful) eating realllly low fat. My problem was I ate lots off carbs (you can find lots of low fat carbs), and not enough protein.

You mention exercising 6 days a week. For how long and how intense? I am at restriction, do 1.5-2.5 hrs of moderate cardio daily and loose less than 1 lb a week. Can you switch up your exercise? Do you belong to a gym? If you could do a different cardio machine every other day that migh help jump start your weight loss.

Not trying to be negative just want to give you some ideas.

I also believe i am the healthiest fast person i know LOL

when i say i work out 6 days a week i dont mean im walking i do boot camp, spin and run my workouts arent mellow workouts there instense when i bring my skinny friends with me to my workouts they cant finish a few have even thrown up, so its not the lack or effort in my working out i kick my butt! my problem is i like food and i never can stop when its enough, the only time in my life when i have been thin is when i starved myself. i dont eat chips, Cookies crackers pizza burgers or drink. i watch the carbs, and sugar rarely even have a diet coke. i eat about 5 meals a day and weigh my food when i can, my doctor told me that because fat is in my genetics this is just me and to watch my cals better which i have done my entire life.

no im not eating WW food, im eating natural foods low carb low sugar.

i also do not have insurance so if i decided to do this, it would be out of pocket.

my thought the lab band would help me with the problem i have food control hopefully helping me with my hunger.

Actually, Lapband is approved for a BMI down to 30, but insurance requirements are usually 35+ with two co-morbidities or 40+ without.

Don't look at the band as though it's a panacea for your weight problem. You will have to work at this. It's not easy giving up years of eating habits. Some bandsters go into this thinking the band will do it all. Not true.

Keep reading here, go to seminars, support groups. If you do this right, expect to lose 2-6 lbs a month. If you slough off and eat candy, expect to gain weight.

tmf