Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So i started out great, tomorrow will be 4 weeks and I'm down 44 pounds. But I haven't lost any in a week. Is this normal? Am I just expecting to much because I lost so much so quickly? I feel great, and I'm not over eating. Sticking to a very strict diet and not snacking in between meals, which is a first for me. I'm walking everyday, on top of working my job everyday.

Wow!!! 44 pounds in 4 weeks?!? That is truly amazing almost sounds impossible!!! Your weight loss will slow down as you get further into this. But once you get fills you will startin losing again! I went for 3 months with no weight lose after 6 months post op but after I got a fill I started losing again! Ive lost 50 pounds in 11 months but I started off at 230 so I don't need to lose but 70 pounds or so! Everyone is different! Great job an keep it up!!!!

I went to the Doctor this past Thursday and he said everything looked great and they were really happy with my progress, and they didn't wanna see me for two months. So I will have to wait till then for my first fill? I was worried about losing that much so quickly, just for health reasons, but he said it was perfectly fine. For the first two weeks after surgery, I wasn't hungry at all and only had 8 ounces of a protien shake for the whole day. I've now just started regular foods, but I was curious why I stopped losing, when I'm not eating bad, getting protien, and I'm under 800 to 1,000 calories a day. Congratulations on your progress, that's awesome.

I just had surgery two weeks ago and I'm not losing anything....the scale showed that I gained a pound and I am following the strict diet and eating less than a 1000 calories...I am so discouraged. I haven't had a fill yet but I need it quick. While on the liquid diet I only lost 26 pounds...so now the scale stays at 277...I am so lost. I been keeping a log of what I eat...I can't really excercise because I have bad disc in my neck and back...so I am stuck

We fatties hold a lot of excess fluids in our bodies and the first weight to disappear is excess fluids. Most of your loss this first month is Water. If you are consuming less than 1400 calories a day you may also have lost 6-8 lbs of fat in your initial 44 lbs.

I apologize to veteran bandsters but I'm going to repeat the math behind weight loss again:

You must burn 3500 more calories than you consume to lose 1 lb. Most of us burn about 2000 calories by just breathing and watching TV. Add some exercise to that and maybe 2300 calories burned a day?

If you eat/consume 1200 calories a day but burn 2300 calories a day, you will have burned 1100 more calories than you took in. 1100 X 30 days = 33000 extra calories burned in a month. Divide that by 3500(remember, this is what you need to burn to lose 1 lb)= 9.4 lbs lost in one month.

This is not a scientific fact because we all burn calories differently and of course, no one is perfect and few of us workout every day. One or two bad food days per week would bring this number down to maybe 6 lbs lost?

So, you've flushed out much of the excess water and now you are working on fat loss. Losing water is good too. That's less weight on your joints. It's very common to plateau at this stage for weeks at a time. Cross your fingers you aren't typical. Good luck and congrats on your success.

tmf

I just had surgery two weeks ago and I'm not losing anything....the scale showed that I gained a pound and I am following the strict diet and eating less than a 1000 calories...I am so discouraged. I haven't had a fill yet but I need it quick. While on the liquid diet I only lost 26 pounds...so now the scale stays at 277...I am so lost. I been keeping a log of what I eat...I can't really excercise because I have bad disc in my neck and back...so I am stuck

TLove,

Are you serious? Chill out. You are doing great. Read my post above. Only lost 26 lbs? When have you ever lost that kind of weight before? At least now you have the tool to keep it off.

tmf

Thanks for the response...I guess I'm paranoid because I was thinking I only lost the 26 pounds because I was starving my self...by drinking only liquids...I'm scared because now that I'm eating again...but I didn't return to my old habits...but I just thought two weeks after surgery that I should of at least lost a pound or two...but I guess you right.

Periodically, we do reach plateaus in the weight loss journey. Very frustrating to say the least...you remain compliant and the scale does not move...

There are many reasons for this, and the suggestions have to continue with diet compliance, and try to "shake up" your exercise routines by doing something a little different; alter the pace, the amount of time you are exercising, even the type of exercises you are doing.

This journey has taught me a virtue which had eluded me for years...patience. This is a journey and not an event. Stay the course and keep your "eyes on the prize" of a healthier you!

Best wishes as you continue...

Thanks for the response...I guess I'm paranoid because I was thinking I only lost the 26 pounds because I was starving my self...by drinking only liquids...I'm scared because now that I'm eating again...but I didn't return to my old habits...but I just thought two weeks after surgery that I should of at least lost a pound or two...but I guess you right.

It is never a good idea to "starve" yourself; your body will go into sort of a "hibernation" mode and will slow the metabolism to burn fewer calories. The body realizes that the sources for energy it previously had have changed, and then it tends to adjust to hold on to as much energy as it can, thus slowing down your metabolism. It can actually slow your weight loss down to have too few calories or to not have enough Protein in your diet every day.

You should have been given an number of grams for your daily protein goal range. Know what that number is and strive to meet it every day.

Best wishes...

You're doing awesome!! You'll find the scale may not move for a bit but then one day bang a few pounds will be gone. I am only 2 months in and I got a little discouraged for a bit but it starts to move.

Thanks guys that really helped me...