Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Putting off the surgery...

I went to my cardiologist today for him to check off on my Lapband surgery. He is about 6’2” and weighs no more than 150lbs and probably works 16 to 18 hours a day. Needless to say he saw no need for me to have WLS. He said that at my current weight of 250lbs, I am not that overweight and he could control my hyperlipidemia with meds. He wants me to go on the South Beach Diet and take Tricor for two months before I consider any kind of WLS. He said he feels that WLS is only for people who weigh 350lbs and over. I’m kind of bummed out about it. He did not refuse to sign my clearance, he just said as my cardiologist he would prefer that I not have the surgery without trying at least one more time to loose weight on my own. So, since I have already been going back and forth about this, I guess I will give it one more try on my own.

I weighed 145 before surgery and I'm 5'6. Anyways, give it one more try - why not. I just think it's ridiculous that some doctors think you could just diet - HELLO, if that was working we wouldn't be where we're at now! I'd like to see one bandster that didn't try dieting at least 50 times before getting surgery!

I think I only tried 49 diets, not 50, but don't quote me on that.... :)

Wssmith, I know you are a bit ambivilant about the surgery right now, so I think this would be a good idea. It will give you more time to explore all your options.

I know there are lots of folks that think WLS is only for the Super MO, and that simply MO or Obese shouldn't take such drastic steps. Part of me thinks that folks with a BMI of 32 shouldn't get it, but part of me knows that it isn't for me to even make that judgement. One person's BMI of 32 is just fine while just gross for someone else.

Please hang about here, not so much to change your mind or cement your choice, but because you have a lot to offer here.

Cheers!

I went to my cardiologist today for him to check off on my Lapband surgery. He is about 6’2” and weighs no more than 150lbs and probably works 16 to 18 hours a day. Needless to say he saw no need for me to have WLS. He said that at my current weight of 250lbs, I am not that overweight and he could control my hyperlipidemia with meds. He wants me to go on the South Beach Diet and take Tricor for two months before I consider any kind of WLS. He said he feels that WLS is only for people who weigh 350lbs and over. I’m kind of bummed out about it. He did not refuse to sign my clearance, he just said as my cardiologist he would prefer that I not have the surgery without trying at least one more time to loose weight on my own. So, since I have already been going back and forth about this, I guess I will give it one more try on my own.

I'm not trying to be mean or hateful to docotors but I have a good friend who's a drug rep.... they might not get kick backs to put you on the meds but they get a hell of a lot of perks. I've been to a couple of dinners (seminars) they put on to teach the doctor about the new drug.... wow that's informative and the lobster was good too. ***evil grin**** I've never seen a bunch of people all in a group feeling like they had to order the most expensive meal in my life. You'd think those guys never had a lobster & steak in their life. (Maybe they don't make a very large salary)

Why would a person want to do meds when they could solve their problem with weight loss. Even though surgery isn't natural.... I'd rather take that risk any day over staying heavy and doing more drugs.. My mom has heart disease and she's on so much, then she got diabetes and now a ton more meds. Each one seems to lead to another.

Also, my regular doctor didn't approve. I weighted 220 and he said no but I did it anyway.

I get so sick of skinny people saying "Just Diet"... My own dad does it all the time.... Just diet Just Exercise - WTF Do you think I've been doing?

None of the docs seem to get that it's not that we can't go on a diet, it's that it doesn't STICK. Hunger always wins out in the end and the weight comes back.

You are exactly right, it is so easy for someone who has never been overweight, or someone who has lost weight (and kept it off) by dieting to just say, give it one more try. Everything my doctor said is correct. He said for me to exercise at least three times a week for at least 30 min. He said to cut out all sugars and most all refined carbs, reduce my calorie intake below my BMR, and I would lose weight. I told him that I felt I was about 70lbs overweight. He basically said that if I could lose 30 pounds I would be doing all right. A funny anecdote to this is that as I was leaving the cardiologist’s office, I received word from my hospital’s weight loss center that my insurance had approved the surgery.

It's always good to consider all your options, but that's what I did b4 I decided to get the band. I too have to see a cardiologist for an arrhythmia they recently discoverd....there is no way a cardiologist would keep me from this surgery, UNLESS there was a physical reason due to my heart.

Regardless of my personal position, you need to look inside yourself and do what is best for you. Everyone is different and if your on the fence, perhaps this is what you need in your life right now. I wish you the very best and a healthy future!!

My cardiologist is about this height and weight, but gorgeous. My BP goes up every time I go there :) He is behind the surgery. Worried a little about the anesthetic, but he will get over it. I had to have my gallbladder out a yr. after bypass surgery and he knew it had to be done. He just looks at this more as "I want this", but is beginning to see I'm unhappy too and wants me to be healthier. I have the same weight issues you do too, but he is backing me 100% and I have the letter to give to the WLS to prove it. Sometimes cardiologists just worry a little bit more about us, especially if we have heart problems. It is their job and nature. He will come around probably, because you will need a letter from him. I laid my heart on the line to mine and when he saw how much it meant he said OK. I also had a great GP that kind of came between the two of us and encouraged him to let me have the surgery....so he had a tough time saying no. I would fall short of his requirements myself by close to 100 lbs. I love both my GP and cardiologist. They have both been supportive, although the cardiologist was a little longer coming around. I've been healthy now for 5 years since the bypass surgery, have undergone anesthesia since that time and did great, and I think his worries are just about me. I doubt yours is trying to be mean, but did you really, really let him know this could be life-changing for you and how you feel about yourself?

None of the docs seem to get that it's not that we can't go on a diet, it's that it doesn't STICK. Hunger always wins out in the end and the weight comes back.

EXACTLY! And it is always those who have never experienced real weight problems!