Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone, I am 29 yrs old female, and weigh 295 and 5'2". I am looking forward to getting my lap band in July. Even though I am very nervous and was having some doubts about this being the right thing to do. As the days get closer to my date I know I have to do it in order to help we with my weight loss battle. Currently, only a few people know about me getting the lap band and they have not been so supportive. I just keep telling myself that they do not have to walk in my shoes....

Congratulations for making your decision on changing you life in a healthy manner. I'm also sorry you have those who are not supportive of your decision. I read it and hear it alot from those on this website and people I personally know who have had the lapband. All I can say is chalk it up to ignorance, jealousy, fear & care for us, and who knows what else. Hopefully you've researched your surgeon and staff and have found the right mix for you. You will also learn so much here on LBT. I'm sorry I found this after my surgery but better late then never. I'm still learning from everyone on here on a daily basis.

My husband & I had the surgery earlier this year and we've had nothing but support from loved ones, co-workers, clients, etc. And if someone thinks differently about our choice of "taking the easy way out", that's their opinion as they're entitled to it. I'm 57 and at the stage of my life that I can't worry what people think about me. I still have a good 25 lbs to lose and feel so much energy and confidence then I have in the past years of putting on a good 60+ lbs and not being able to walk up or down the stairs without holding on to the railing, enjoying gardening, and just getting out of my car to food shop was a problem with my knees and back. At this point I can do it all and then some!

Have there been compromises along the way, absolutely. Like any other addiction, I'm learning to change people {moi} places and things that caused my weight gain. In the beginning it was an everyday challenge and right up there in my conscious mind, As time goes on, with the help of the lapband being a tool, it's helped us to be just a part of our everyday life and reminding us to make better choices. So far so good.

I wish you the best on your journey. Hopefully, as time goes on, your loved ones will see you made the right choice and change their minds. If you need support, we're all here for you on LBT 24-7.

Change 704 - Congratulations on your decision to have lapband July is just around the corner. Start getting YOUR mind in the right spot - don't worry about anyone BUT YOU. This is your decision and it is your body and it is your health. I too am short and chunky (thereby my screen name) I am 5'2" and weighed 268. That was almost 1 yr ago (banded 7/7/11). I am still only 5'2" (the band didn't change that).but I now weight 173 lbs. Wow, what a difference. Have I had some problems? Yes, but they were of my own doing (ate too fast, too big or drank too soon). Have a regreted having the surgery - absolutely NOT ! I am healthier today than I have been in years. Hang in there. You will do great and for those who are not in your corner yet - poo on them. You go girl. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Melinda in Florida

Good luck to you with your upcoming surgery. I'm 5'2" 236 and am looking into getting banded. I'll be self paid so getting the $ together is my challenge. I've received some negative feedback, I should just workout more or that the surgery is dangerous but I don't care. Once I have the money I'm doing it!

Hi everyone, I am 29 yrs old female, and weigh 295 and 5'2". I am looking forward to getting my lap band in July. Even though I am very nervous and was having some doubts about this being the right thing to do. As the days get closer to my date I know I have to do it in order to help we with my weight loss battle. Currently, only a few people know about me getting the lap band and they have not been so supportive. I just keep telling myself that they do not have to walk in my shoes....

You will succeed! We all believe in you! Just ignore all the haters!

Good luck to you with your upcoming surgery. I'm 5'2" 236 and am looking into getting banded. I'll be self paid so getting the $ together is my challenge. I've received some negative feedback, I should just workout more or that the surgery is dangerous but I don't care. Once I have the money I'm doing it!

You will succeed as well. Ignore anyone who won't support you!

Welcome!! This forum is great. I had surgery 1 month ago today and am down 32 lbs total. It's been quite the adventure. It's a whole new way of life, but I am finding it very exciting!

When I decided on surgery (being 5'8" and 243 lbs), quite a few people didn't understand (even the psychologist that did the eval questioned the necessity!). My best answer to them is - "you don't live in my skin". I was constantly uncomfortable, hated what I saw in the mirror, and was always so self-conscious. I did this for me, and have not regretted it one day.