Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was talking to my baby brother today and was telling him that I had decided to go the lapband if I can. I told him he really should look into it. He weighs about 400 lbs. He said his doctor was very much against it. He told him that 1 out of every 250 people die from the surgery. I answered that that couldn't be right as both my cardiologist and my GYN are advocates and are supporting my decision whole heartedly. They wouldn't have recommended it if it wasn't safe.

I guess I will just have to be the example for him. If my cardiologist, who first recommended it, feels that it is safe despite my having Aterial Defibulation then I'm not going to worry about it. Besides it's in God's hands.

Deb

I have to say i think your brothers doctor was not quoting any figures i have ever seen on the lapband. A good question is how many people die each year from obesity related health issues, your brother at 400lbs which i initially weighed is at far more risk from his obesity than the surgery for a lapband .. Surgery lasts only 45 mins normally it is a minor operation and all care is taken with the surgery given that eveyone who has it is overweight ... I am sure u will do fine and be a great example for your brother :)

Do what is right for you and if he follows thats fine. I really think his stats are way off . And agree that the stats for obesity are dismal.. It would be nice to have a buddy but you will be an inspiration to him . So don't let anyone discourage you just go for it and good luck.

Cazzy, is right. I have never heard that statistic. I don't think that many people even die from a gastric bypass, and that if far more invasive. Also about being over weight, you are more at risk for heart attacks, strokes, and all kinds of things. Do what is right for you. Some people have tried to scare me out of doing it, but if it's really what you want and you make an educated choice I think you will be fine! Good luck.

Your brother's doctor's stats are way, way off. My doctor gave me a list of the stats of all the bariatric surgeries and I can't put my hand on it right now to quote exact figures, but I can guarantee you that if 1 in 250 lap-banders die from it, I would never have considered it. I wouldn't even have considered it if it was 1 in 2500!!

My ob/gyn and my PCP were both extremely supportive of my decision! My ob's mother had actually had bariatric surgery.

Oh this hasn't changed my decision any but I think it is sad. How many other people might not get the help they need due to incorrect information or personal prejudice on a doctor's part. I've learned you have to check and investigate things for yourself to be able to make a fair decision. I go for my first seminar Wednesday and can't wait!

Deb

I would like to chime in here if I may. Being a man and starting this journey at 486 pounds I have to say I think your brother's doctor is not doing him any favors. All he is doing is putting fear into him and probably making him even more discouraged as losing weight without surgical help at 400+ pounds is a tremendous mountain to climb. It can be done as I have done it alone but I gained it all back and then some.

Now, I don't know your bother's medical history but for me it was a no brainer decision. Only medical issues I have/had is sleep apnea, and arthritis in my knees.

I agree with the rest that the Doctor is off base. I would recommend taking him to a seminar if he is open to it and possibly get his questions and concerns addressed by professionals who work with obesity on a daily basis.

If you're brother has any questions at all don't hesitate to ask me or anyone else. I am just three days past my two month anniversary and I have lost 44 pounds and a total of 80 if counting pre-op diet. I would do this again in a heartbeat and I wish I had done it years ago.

Edit: By the way there is always risks with any surgery but I was at a point when I asked myself what is more risky? Living like this waiting for a heart attack, stroke or diabetes or taking a chance on getting rid of the weight.

It's a very personal decision but he shouldn't be discouraged by the opinion of one Doctor. Maybe that Doctor had a singular bad experience and because of it he will not recommend it.

Wow Jim - great job on the weight loss so far!

Djbryan - I would also agree with the others that the stats are off. And like most of them said, yes there is a certain degree of risk with any surgery (some more than others), there is a definite risk to living your life obese.

Thanks to all who have wrote back. I haven't changed my mind about the band and go to my first seminar tomorrow night. Looking forward to it.

I talked to mom the other day and she said Gary told her that depending on how I did maybe he would look into it. He is a good guy but he "What if's" everything to death. Some times you just have to take a step in faith and trust that everything in going to be o.k.

Congratulations Jim! You're doing fantastic!

Deb

Your brother's doctor is confusing Lap-Band with Gastric Bypass.

-1 in 2000 die from complications Lap-Band surgery

-1 in 250 die from complications of Gastric Bypass

I haven't done the research on obesity related complications and deaths (high blood pressure, diabetes, congestive heart failure, etc) but I would be willing to bet far more people die from being morbidly obese than from Lap-Band or Gastric Bypass.

Thank you!!

As for the surgery itself it isn't much different then say...having a gallbladder removed. Hard part is learning to work and live with your band...again with any surgery it has its risks.

Also, when is comes to us larger folks it isn't really the procedure so much that they worry about. It's the anesthesia that's the concern.

my PCP was all for lapband. She fully supported it (Yes I'm a guy with a female primary doctor). I'm not that body shy...

Is your brother, or your brother's doctor, a bariatric medical professional? If no, don't take their advice. Most non-bariatric physicians I've encountered know next to nothing about bariatric surgery, and what they do claim to know is ass-backwards.

My PCP was all for it, but his wife had just had the sleeve about 6 month ago and he had done major research on all the procedures so I was lucky that he had alot of information. I had my IBand on May 29th and so far I can't imagine not having it. I love it, I have lost as of today 23lbs could have never done that on a diet and felt satisfied. I think for me that is the biggest plus.

Good LUCK