Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Redness Around Port Site...2 Months Post Op

I woke up today and the site of my port is red and swollen...I am two months post op and have not had any problems, not even been filled yet( was suppose to be tomrorrow).

I have been watching it and it has not decreased in size...if at all, it might be a bit more red. I have not fever...there is tenderness..

Anyone experience this?

Also, I have been sleeping on my stomach area, could this be the issue? Should I not be sleeping on the abdomen

Thanks

I see doc tomorrow..

If the port site is also hot to touch, you could have an infection there. It's good that you're going to the doc tomorrow.

I'm not a stomach sleeper, so I can't help you there!

I agree with Jean. My doctor said that if the port area becomes red, swollen, hot, or all of the above, that the port or the tubing to the port may be infected. I sleep on my stomach all the time and have never had problems like that. Good luck tomorrow at the doctor! Keep us posted please.

I have seen increase in size and it in.my opinion infected ..the port has not been used at all..the incision where the port was inserted is also red..there is no opening that I can see how if it is infected it started from the outside ..I am hoping that maybe a round of antibiotics will so the trick ...until I get to doctor tomorrow I am worried that I might have to have removed. Will post after I see doctor

Well..he looked at port and he said has to come out, he said to leave a foreign body in the infection will never clear up as antibiotics cannot penitrate the device...so out it has to come...sooner the better...so I have to go back on Friday to have him look at it again..and then schedule surgery, I did ask when it can be replaced and he said 3 months...At this point, I do not wish another placement, as that would mean another surgery.....I am trying so hard to make the best of this...saying to myself I have lost 20 pounds and the lap band helped me do this, now take it from there and move forward...but the other part of me is devastated....I never even had a fill....so how in the world did I get an infection? He also said that the infection may have started from the band area and moved on down the line to the port site...that is why it took so long to show itself(the infection)

anyone have antibiotics post op period...not just while in the hospital, but given antibiotics post op to take at home?? Just wondering if I had been given the antibiotics this would not have happened..

Marlene

I did weight less a the doc office today the my home scale(that was with clothes on) as opposed to naked at home

I've never been sent home from any surgery with antibiotics.

I hate that this is happening to you, but it really is best to remove your band and port now. As your doctor said, infection at the port site is often due to bacteria traveling down the tubing from the band to the port, and that may be due to band erosion. If that turns out to be the case with you, I wouldn't have another band placed. I'd consider revising to a different surgery after your stomach has healed from the band removal.

Placed a call to the doc that did surgery, as he is in another state and I am in Florida..I did go to a bariartic surgeon yesterday for the fill and he said as I had a port infection..Now my out of state doc wishes to speak to my doc here in Florida...so I gave him the number...waiting for a call back as to yes we have to remove it...from the doc in another state....know doc here in Florida wants it out...so far no fevers or chills...just the port site tender, red and raised and alot od reflux which for me is new...

went to new doc(here where I live) and he wants to do surgery tomorrow(Saturday) and get the whole system out....I had a birthday party I was giving tomorrow for my 4 year old great niece...she lives with me and her mom...now....well..right now, my mind is going crazy..the Antibiotics are working and the redness is down near the port...there is no opening wound infection it is internal and he feel it manifest itself at the port area...as i have never had a fill...I am saying to myself that I need to get this out and one birthday party is not enough of a reason to delay....I am so sad right now...words cannot express..

I called the surgeon that did the surgery(out of state) and he said that he agreed, although he would have been taken a more slow course...EGD to see if there was erosion(if there was then out came the lap band) if no erosion,,,get CT scan and see if there is specific location of the infection and if CT is negative, remove the port only...filling the band while removing the port and give some restriction while the port area heals..but would have to travel out of state and might get the same results...so I am going to go tomorrow and get lap band out and move on...I did lose 20 pounds....so maybe i can focus on that and get it done without my tool(lab band)...I can get it replaced in 3 months..but just not sure I ever will...too much to go thru....

I am not sure why it is infected and will not know till surgery tomorrow..