Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Burning Throat Every Morning. 3 Weeks Post Op.

Hi all,

I'm three weeks post-op today. I had a hiatal hernia repaired during the surgery as well. I noticed that every morning I now wake up feeling as though my throat is dry and on fire. I need extra pillows and can't sleep laying down. When I breathe in not only does it hurt in my throat and chest but I can feel the air move all the way down through my esophagus (or whatever part of the body moves the air through you) and also up through my dry nose. I haven't found anything on line about this being common and am going to talk to my doctor tomorrow. Did anyone else experience this? I don't eat late and I can't imagine that I NOW have acid reflux since it wasn't ever a noticeable issue for me before the surgery despite the Dr repairing a hernia I never had a problem with before. Please weigh in.

Thanks.

Sounds like you have some acid reflux. I took prilosec for the first year after surgery due to reflux. I had this before surgery and it seemed to continue until I lost a large portion of my weight. I think taling to your MD is the best choice, he may have some suggestions.

I the same issues but it was a few years after I had the band. The band was too tight and a slight adjustment fixed it immediately. I had the problem again recently and had it adjusted again.

Your doc should be able to help.

Good luck.

Thanks for your feedback. I went to the doctor and he also thought it might be acid reflux. He gave me a Rx but I haven't yet taken it because these symptoms have gone away.

What we think may have been happening was that I wasn't eating (drinking) enough and the stomach acids were leaking up out of my stomach at night when I was lying down because there wasn't enough food to soak them up...or something like that. Who knew not eating would have been the cause of that pain. Good news is now I'm getting food in me and the problem is gone.

Thanks.