Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calorie Vs. Carbs

I don't know if this is a stupid question or not, but as people with the lapband, are we supposed to be focusing on counting calories or counting carbs? I know that my Protein intake is 60-80 grams, but which one should be the focus? carbs or calories? or both?? I've lost 26lbs in 2 and a half months, and I've gotten 1 fill. I know it is not time for me to get another fill because I don't feel like it is time yet. Anyone that can clarify please do. I had asked my doctor, and he was not very clear, because I need to get my food intake in order. I need to get down to 190 by september 16th, and i know it is doable, but need some advice! Please help!

Everyone is going to tell you something different, unfortunately. The reason for that is, every surgeon and nutritionist have different ideas. There is no right or wrong answer, in the end, it all comes down to doing whatever works for your body.

A lot on here seriously restrict carbs. My nutrionist told me a minimum of 60g of Protein and no more than 125g of carbs daily so that is what I do. Obviously, my carbs are not seriously restricted, yet I still have lost considerable weight. Others simply can't lose while eating carbs. Everyone is different.

Calories are similar. Some do very little calories, some don't measure calories at all.

My advice would be to experiment and see what works for your specific body.

I agree entirely with Mis73, some, like me, cant lose any weight at all eating more than about 50 carbs a day at most, i also dont eat more than 1000 calories, no reason why u cant adjust both carbs and calories..

I also have to burn more calories than i eat by exercising, intially it was easier to lose wieght as i was very heavy, now i fight for every lb but i know how to fight .. make yourself the 'expert' on you and that way u learn lessons that will last you your whole life.

One of the reasons the docs want us on a low carb diet is because simple sugar, white bread, even whole wheat bread, Pasta, rice, potatoes etc, when consumed, can cause insulin spikes which tells our brain we're hungry when we really don't need anymore food. And of course, these carbs, simple carbs, are empty carbs and calories. Eating a lower carb diet is the more nutritious way to train our minds to eating healthier.

Some call this way of eating the Paleo Diet.

But to answer your question, lower carb and lower calorie is the answer. If you eliminate fat, a low carb diet should be a low calorie diet by default.

tmf