Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello,

This is my first post to the group. My name is Shannon. I am scheduled to have my surgery on April 28th, performed by Dr. David Provost in Dallas.

I'm a 48 year old man from Dallas, now in Arlington, TX.

I'm currently at a whopping 286 lbs. I hope to, via lap-band surgery, lose around 120 lbs. in one year. I also intend to document my weight loss in words & pictures, from now until then. I should mention that I have type II diabetes, and congestive heart failure, both of whick I hope will be virtually eliminated by way of weight loss. Either way, It couldn't hurt!

I wish success to all who have been thru, going thru or about to embark on their journey. I believe this will be the greatest challenge I've had to overcome so far in my adult life. Please feel free to post or email me with your thoughts, stories, experiences, etc.

Good luck to everyone!

All the best,

Shannon

Welcome Shannon!

I am in Texas too. I am scheduled to have my surgery 2 weeks from today! I hope to loose 123 Lbs. I hope you like it here , everyone is so nice and helpful!

Welcome Shannon.... I know another guy with that name - it's very cool.

Good luck with your surgery. Are you going to post your website here for us to see your progress?

Thanks very much, Jana! I'm sure you're excited. The very best of luck to you. Let us know how it all goes!

Hi Cashley. So you've just had it done, eh? That's great!

Yes, I'll be posting progress on my website, www.fugitives.com.

I need to build a new page for my progress posts. Will post it as soon as I can develop it. Good luck in your continued weight loss!

Shannon

Another man from Texas... careful, ladies, we might just take over... :)

Welcome aboard, Shannon. You've found a great resource!

Thanks Mikey! Always good to converse with a fellow Texan!

Are you a keyboardist too?

Shannon

Wow, CHF and Diabetes....you really got it socked to you didn't you? The weight loss will help immensely. You are much too young to have CHF. I wish you luck on the journey. I'm going to be having my surgery (hope) sometime around the end of Apr. or the first part of May. I don't have diabetes or CHF, but I did have open heart surgery for clogged arteries 5 years ago. Since then I've done amazingly...gave up cigarettes and diet drugs, but unfortunately turned to food. The heart is doing well and my dr. has given me the go ahead for the surgery. I've got quite a few years on you though. Luck to you. Keep in touch.

Sounds like you're doing all the good, Dody! I still need to quit smoking. Can't seem to stop like I want. Just had my second stent surgery a few weeks ago, and may have bypass surgery a few months after the lap band, according to my cardiologist. Keep on with the healthy lifestyle, and best of luck to you on your procedure, sir! Thanks for the kind words.

Hey Shannon, welcome to LBT! I had a peek at your website and I can see why you'd have a hard time living a healthy life.. surrounded by those rowdy Texans all the time! How cool to be living your dream.

Now.. get healthy so you can do it a lot longer! Stick around here and we'll see that ya do! *big smiles*

Shannon,

It is journey like no other. My experience five months down the track is that it takes a bit more time than I expected to begin 'working with the lap band' I'm just starting to learn. You are doing the right thing, relax and enjoy the journey. You have selected the best option.

The easiest time in the world to quit smoking was in the hospital after my bypass surgery. You cough up so much yucky stuff that has been in your lungs for years. You are so busy healing up from the surgery and busy with physical therapy and everything else you don't have time to think about cigarettes, so it is the ideal time to go off them. Sounds like you have had a rough road of it, but I hope it is clear sailing from here on out. Remember when you go in the hospital to take your furosomide (don't want to foget that for your CHF). It's a tiny, tiny pill and should go down easily. I'm assuming that you are on it with CHF. God Bless you, you sound like a real fighter. Please keep in touch and let me know how you are doing. I have had no stents placed. I had the open heart surgery and have had no problems since...knock on wood. I'll say a prayer for you for a speedy recovery.

Hiya Shannon & welcome to LBT!! :) I can't wait to follow your progress!

I'll answer for Mikey, since I can, hehe. :) His main instrument is keys, but he also plays bass & guitar (electric & acoustic). He's one of those disgusting people that can play anything they pick up. And has an awesome voice to boot! I was so jealous of him I had to marry him, lol. :Banane40: You can check him out at www.MikeyCunningham.com (shameless hubby promotion much?! :D)

Anyway, welcome to the community & ask as many questions as you can! :waytogo: (( Hugs!! ))

Hey Janet & Mikey,

Sounds like y'all are oozing with musical talent out there in Keller!

Must be nice having the studio so accessable. Checked out Mikeys site. Very cool!

Wishing you guys all the success you deserve. Thanks for the encouragement. If you'd like to know a bit more of my background,

you can do so below at: http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/music/artist/bio/0,,2841460,00.html#bio

What a small world we live in! Anyway, I'll be sharing my experience online as it progresses. Thanks again!

Shannon

Thanks Buick 8! Everyone has been so nice and encouraging. Make me want to try even harder. Much luck to you as you get your fills just right.

I understand it takes a bit of time, but that things level out pretty quickly in most cases, and you find just the right fit.

Take good care!

Shannon

Hi Dody,

Thanks for the prayers and encouragement! Same to you, my friend!

Yep, I imagine I'll certainly have quit smoking by the time I have bypass surgery. What a wake-up call that is! And yes, I'v ebeen on furosomide

(and 21 other meds) for quite some time now. I'm hoping to come off most of them in time...especially the coumadin. That stuff really is rat poison, but I suppose it keeps the blood thin, and avoids any possibility of stroke, due to clots.

Bless you and yours, and keep on fighting this deal. You sound like you're

really doing all the right stuff. You'll be running circles around most 30 year olds at that rate!

Godspeed,

Shannon