Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Before 1St Fill

I know I won't get my first fill for 6 weeks post-op. I keep thinking that I don't want to move on to "real" food before the fill, I don't know that I want to try to trust myself around food...and I also want to lose as much as possible on my own, is that crazy?

In my mind, I can stay on Protein and mooshy stuff until then.

Being totally new to this and 2 weeks pre-op, I need your wisdom and guidance :)

I can't eeally give you much advice for post-op since I am still pre-op, but I started my liver diet two weeks early. I have been drinking two Protein Shakes a day and a lean cuisine for dinner. I think this has helped me prepare for what is to come. I have managed to lose 4 lbs in 3 day.s I am going to try and stick it out until my first fill.

You're doing great!!! It sounds like you'll be more than ready on surgery day :)

I think part of the post op diet, liquid, mushy, real food... is to teach your new stomach how to process food all over again and to help teach you how to eat with the new band. I just moved to mushies and I really didn't want to nor was I craving real food, but I know I have to eat sometimes. The May group I am in has an accountability thread, in which they post what they ate for the day. When I seen the small amounts of food that was filling them up, I decided to try. Its amazing that if you listen to your body just how little you really need to feel satisfied. Just like when you went to mushy.

I would suggest calling your dietician and telling her of your concerns and follow her guidelines, rather than waiting another four weeks.

Keep us posted!

I think part of the post op diet, liquid, mushy, real food... is to teach your new stomach how to process food all over again and to help teach you how to eat with the new band. I just moved to mushies and I really didn't want to nor was I craving real food, but I know I have to eat sometimes. The May group I am in has an accountability thread, in which they post what they ate for the day. When I seen the small amounts of food that was filling them up, I decided to try. Its amazing that if you listen to your body just how little you really need to feel satisfied. Just like when you went to mushy.

I would suggest calling your dietician and telling her of your concerns and follow her guidelines, rather than waiting another four weeks.

Keep us posted!

Thanks! I will talk to my dietician and see what she says, I go to a support seminar on Monday and I'm sure I'll get more information then also.

I agree that you should talk to your dietician. But, I don't think he/she will recommend you avoid "real foods". Part of this journey is re-educating yourself about how to eat, what to eat and how much. Learning which foods your stomach will tolerate and accept is part of this process. Learning to eat slowly, with much smaller bites and chewing must happen with real foods like chicken, fish, vegetables etc.

Now if you're talking about real foods such as tacos, pizzas, cheeseburger and fries, that's a completely different topic. Don't go there.

I would follow your doctor and nutritionists guidelines up to your first fill. My doctor doesn't really care what I have the day of my fill. He doesn't want me pigging out an hour before and suggests a light lunch maybe 3-4 hours before the fill. So, don't stress over what to eat the day of and go ahead and experiment with the foods your doctor has recommended post op. Enjoy your trip.

tmf

I agree with 2muchfun. If you force yourself to avoid certain types of foods because you are afraid of gaining, you will never truly understand the process and eventiually boredom will set in like it has for many of us here in the past. Isn't that why most of us failed at diets before surgery?

The only time I am forcing myself to stay on liquids or mushy's is right before and after a fill or maybe a day if I have a really bad stuck epasode. Other than that, I like food too much to give it up out of fear. So far with the right portions and excercise and good food choices I have lost 47 #'s in 4 months. This may not seem like alot to some, but we did not opt for Gastric Bypass which would have been faster. We chose a diet that requires us to make healthy choices, which means we have to work a little harder sometimes. Don't think for a second I haven't cheated along the way. It happens. You just have to move on and start again. Hope this helps put it into perspective.

Thanks y'all!!!

I appreciate your input so much. You know what you're talking about...I don't know what I would do without this forum.