Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help: Does Weight Loss Just Happen?

Hi Everyone,

I was banded May 11-12 and I just had my first fill today. I survived bandster hell but remained at the same weight as pre-op (15lbs down). I have about 60lbs to lose. I am 196lbs and 25 yrs old.

I know the lap band isn't a quick fix but with healthy eating and occasion exercise and the "sweet spot" with the band fills, will the weight just fly and come off? Will I feel full and not have a desire to eat??

I am so afraid of failing. I'm use to following "strict diets" and now that I only have band rules to follow- i wasn't given food rules- I'm afraid that my weight will go up and this was all a mistake.

I obviously want to be most successful. Does anyone have any advice or comforting words? Does it happen naturally or do I have to follow something strict?? When I reach my sweet spot will this be an issue? Will I constantly calorie count?

I know others who don't count calories and do great. However, I always count calories to be sure I'm not accidentally over-doing it. I find more often than not, if someone is on here talking about not loosing and not counting calories, they are usually shocked at the amount of calories they've been eating when they do start logging them.

Just what I've observed here.

Hi and welcome to your new life.

There are many rules to follow as well as foods to eat . The elusive "sweet spot " will come and go. It usually happens after a few fills. You need to ask your dr about the foods.

You must always chew, chew ,chew and then chew some more. You need to eat very small pieces, make sure food isn't too dry. It should take between 20-30 min to eat. Less time you are eating too fast and more time you fall into the habit of grazing.

You will have to figure out the difference between head hunger and real hunger and if you have a soft stop which signals you to stop eating.

No drinking while eating - my dr says 30 min before and 60 min after.

Thats a start. I am sure your dr can give you more rules if not people here are very knowledgeable.

1 thing i forgot to mention- Everyone is different so don't compare yourself to everyone else. Everthing we can tell you we learned from our own journeys.

Good Luck

Wendy

I am early in this process but one thing I have noticed is that portion sizes and what you are eating. Having high Protein doesn't always mean you should eat it. You do need to watch the calories and fat that is in the food. My doctor has been very good at telling me the does and don'ts, you still need to do low calorie and sugar free. I hope this helps.

Odd that you didn't learn the answers to your questions before you had surgery?

No, weight won't just fall off!

No, you won't always feel full and satisfied.

Yes, you will have to work hard to make this work.

And yes you will always be on a strict diet if you want this to work.

The band is a tool and you are too new to the band to understand how it's going to make losing weight much easier. But it's scary how little you understand at this point?

You weren't given food rules? Again, odd? Are you sure they didn't give you rules but you weren't paying attention? Don't mean to be cruel but it's hard to believe you didn't have to go through some kind of pre op classes outlining what you should expect and a visit to a nutrition class or two?

tmf

No' date=' weight won't just fall off!

The band is a tool and you are too new to the band to understand how it's going to make losing weight much easier. But it's scary how little you understand at this point?

You weren't given food rules? Again, odd? Are you sure they didn't give you rules but you weren't paying attention? Don't mean to be cruel but it's hard to believe you didn't have to go through some kind of pre op classes outlining what you should expect and a visit to a nutrition class or two?

tmf[/quote']

I was well informed prior to survey about rules for pre and post op surgery weeks 1-6 but in terms of living with the band And the fills, I was just wondering the experiences of people with the band and food options. I never took any nutrition classes at my clinic. I am however a nurse and know about nutrition. My question isn't about rules...my question is more about the band and the way it works to help me lose weight. I just wanted to know people's experience with the effects of the band and their relationship with food.

My question isn't about rules...my question is more about the band and the way it works to help me lose weight. I just wanted to know people's experience with the effects of the band and their relationship with food.< /p>

The quick answer is NO, the weight just not fall away. You have to work at it. What the band does for me, is allow me to stick to a diet for the long term. I stll have to watch what I eat and drink. I keep a daily food log and count my calories. If I want to lose weight, I have to stick to around 1000 calories per day. When I plateau, it is usually related to a period of higher calorie intake (I am on vacation or travelling for business). I have just come off a 2 month plateau (I was travelling a lot!) and the amazing thing about the band is I didn't gain any weight. That is a first for me.

I'm a new bandee as well but I can tell you this as far as my relationship with food goes...it's a struggle everyday to stay on track..to follow the rules like I should. I'm learning it's a lot more mental than I anticipated!

My question isn't about rules...my question is more about the band and the way it works to help me lose weight. I just wanted to know people's experience with the effects of the band and their relationship with food.

Well then, If you follow the rules and find your sweet spot, you can expect 4-6 lbs lost per month. Some of us find our sweet spot immediately after surgery but most probably need 2-6 fills to get to that sweet spot. Some many more.

When you learn how to use the band you will find that very small quantities of food satiates you. You will stay satiated longer. Everyone is different with the types of food that we can eat. You will see the word stuck many times here on the forum. For some of us it's breads, chicken, beef, even eggs. There comes a point where you must take smaller bites, chew much more, filter out the foods that stick easily and eat much slower.

Some people never miss pizza, cheeseburgers etc. I do. I don't pine over the loss but eating the same food day after day can become boring and I have to put more effort in creating other dishes than taste good and are compatible with my band. Hope this helps and best of luck on your journey.

tmf

First off ,

It sounds like you are on the right track. Not eveyone has it all figured out before surgery, and I'm glad that you are educating yourself. I would definately track your calories. I would recomend Myfitnesspal.com it is a great site with a large data base. You can also add friends to encourage you along the way. Feel free to add me...same username:waitingpatiently. If understanding good food choices are an issue, I would recommend making your diary public to your friends...they will be able to offer suggestions to help. Plus its great for you to access other peoples diaries for healthy food ideas.

Secondly,

Everyone is different...some may say the weight fell off in the begining.....but as you loose, the weight loss will get slower, since you are starting at less than 200 lbs...I'm sorry to say you probably won't every feel like "Wow...I lost 10 pounds this week"....it will be more like that 1-2 pound range...which is where I'm at.

Thirdly,

These beginning months will take some time to figure out what your body wants from you. Some people feel we are pretty much all built the same and that a calorie is a calorie....I dissagree. Some will maintain 1200-1500 calorie diet and exercise 5-7 hours a week and do wonderful....This is not me. I choose to keep my calories down to about 900 and I only exercise about 2-3 hours a week. This works for me. I also try to eat a low carb diet my goal is about 35g daily....but theres a couple of days a week it will be higher..maybe 50 This is my magic combination...yours will be different. The goal is to just keep trying things untill one works better than others. I will tell you that although I am strict on myself, It isn't as hard as it used to be. Some days it will be 2pm before I get the urge to eat.---so although it is a strict diet....it doesn't feel like it is. I am satisfied at the end of the day and I only have 3cc in a 10cc band. Exercise!! you are young and your metabolism is strong....even it is only for 30 mins a day. Its good to esablish a routine early.

Fourth,

Not sure way your doctor didn't give you guidlines, I have heard others say that as well. Did you use an actual bariatric doctor or a general surgeon...sometimes general surgeons don't give a lot of rules. For the most part most doctors want 3 oz Protein first (at least 60-70g daily), followed by 1/2cup healthy veggie, then 1/2 cup starch (if needed)........or something similar. At almost 4 weeks out (close to where you are) I was in the mushy stage...not sure where you are at.

Hope this helps....feel free to inbox me if I can help you any. Good Luck!!

No, weight won't just fall off!

tmf

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

| | | | | |

THIS

my doctor told me to follow the rule of 1000 calories a day. I rarely get that low.

Some days im not hungry at all, other days I feel very hungry, and as soon as I start eating, I'm full. Other days Im starving and I can eat and eat and eat.

I have good weeks where I lose weight, and sometimes I just stay the same or gain a pound. I don't believe the weight just falls off. I workout (intensly) 3-4x a week.

I try to watch my fat and my carbs, but hey Im not perfect hahaha. But overall I just try to eat healthy - wheat breads, low calorie Proteins, low fat yogurt, salad with lite dressing on the side, fresh fruits, etc.

I totally agree with what you're going through and I get it. I only met with my dr once pre surgery and it was for ten minutes. I was told nothing about the pain I'd feel, when I could come in for a fill, how many calories to eat a day, nothing. I was given a binder and my surgery date and old good luck.

I know some people have had a great experience through this process while others of us feel like we are swimming up stream. I'd hope that people on this forum would be more empathetic and open with what their dr told them and what they experienced personally so we could learn as well.

I would'nt say the weight is falling off. I am a slow looser, less then 1 lb a week. I try to stay below 1200 cals a day; and do between 90-120 minutes of cardio a day. I am at restriction. Pre-Op I lost a total of 100 pounds, post op 70, and have about 60 left to go.

I'm at restriction. I'm not trying to be a downer. This needs to be a major life change in exercise and food choices.