Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting Regular Foods, But Not Sure Where To Start.

I am excited to finally start regular foods today, but I am not sure what foods to start with or what to get at the grocery store. Do I cook "normal" recipes I would've made pre band, and just stick to my small portions?

I am pretty tired of the chili, ground meats, soft fruits/veggies and yogurts I had while on soft foods. I don't know when to start testing things like salad, grilled meat, whole wheat carbs (in moderation) and am overwhelmed. Do I just jump in? Help!

I am excited to finally start regular foods today, but I am not sure what foods to start with or what to get at the grocery store. Do I cook "normal" recipes I would've made pre band, and just stick to my small portions?

I am pretty tired of the chili, ground meats, soft fruits/veggies and yogurts I had while on soft foods. I don't know when to start testing things like salad, grilled meat, whole wheat carbs (in moderation) and am overwhelmed. Do I just jump in? Help!

It would depend on what a "pre-band" recipe would be...as per instructions received from my surgeon, you should start with tender and moist meats: dark meat chicken, turkey, meat and shrimp salads using some light mayo. Moist and flaky salmon, tuna, cod. Shaved deli meats, use better quality choices such as Boar's Head Brand.

Any fresh fruit is acceptable, as long as it is peeled. I still enjoy all of the "melons", and red grapefruit. Just about all vegetables are acceptable, but they need to be tender. I was advised to avoid salad greens and other raw veggies until at least week 6 post op, and start with dark leafy greens.

Well cooked complex carbs can be used for one meal along with your Protein, such as edamame, peas, lima Beans, yams and the real oatmeal (not instant or quick cooking).

Hope this helps...

Best wishes as your journey continues...

I was banded on March 29th so have been on solids for several weeks now and this is what I have found.

I can eat almost anything I did before except the following.

Any kind of wrap

Cheap cuts of beef

Any kind of lettuce

Any bread that is doughy or gooey when you chew it

These items all give me "so called stuck" issues no matter how i chew them

Other than that no trouble at all.

What ever you do only try new things at home. Don't want an embarrassing moment in public restauraunt.

Good advice about trying new things at home!

Introduce foods slowly (bit like a baby that is starting on solids!) Chew plenty, eat slowly, very small bites and see how you go.

Some people can eat everything, even with restriction, it is just the quantity for them.

Others find there are certain foods which causes them issues. These are not the same for everyone, so be prepared for some trial and error.

I agree the issue is really what you were eating pre band and how much fat/cals it contained. I have no trouble with chicken breast (no skin). I prefer to eat my veggies raw (my doctor never said to avoid them post op so I did'nt). If you must have potato, sweet is better than white.

Would a mixed green or spinach salad count as a leafy green? I assume skin and crust on meats is a no-no?

Before the band i cooked fairly healthy for myself (I got fat by going out to restaurants/drive thru/take out every single day). I used to grill a lot of meat and have salads or mashed sweet potatoes. chicken in crockpot. Also liked whole wheat pitas in the oven w/ meat, veggies and some cheese on top. Whole wheat spaghetti, etc.

Thank you for all your tips. I will remember to chew and I am definitely going to try new things at home... My biggest fear is vomiting or getting stuck... But I guess this trial and error period means that's bound to happen at some point. it's overwhelming to go from liquid and safe mushies to so many options.